Talk

Advanced search

School "pulling name out of a hat" for school place?

(15 Posts)
yearningforthesun Tue 12-Jul-11 19:55:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

activate Tue 12-Jul-11 19:58:34

if your first dc gets in then surely 2nd one does on sibling status?

Shakirasma Tue 12-Jul-11 19:59:44

Well, I suppose if both children had their applications in on time and they both rate equally in terms of admissions criteria then there is not really any other way of deciding who should get the place.

yearningforthesun Tue 12-Jul-11 20:00:42

yearningforthesun Tue 12-Jul-11 20:02:17

ashamedandconfused Tue 12-Jul-11 20:03:04

waiting list should be that - a list, in order of priority, first come first served

so even if both had applications in on same day, the "out of a hat" random bit has already been done in a way when they decided which envelope to open first, IYSWIM

Snakeears Tue 12-Jul-11 20:09:32

Unless it's a private school the school has no power over who is let in / not - it's done by admissions in the local authority - If you have a query ask them and they are obliged to reply within 5 working days - schools often end up relaying information to parents because often the admissions people are not very prompt and this can be confused with the school having a say.

I deal with admissions in my school ( a state school) and I often talk to parents who are quite rightly very upset by something as important as school choices and it's difficult because often other cases just happen to meet the criteria set by admissions (not the school).

Hope you get a good answer and sorry you didn't get hte place.

Scholes34 Tue 12-Jul-11 20:18:04

Would seem logical to offer two available places to siblings.

youarekidding Tue 12-Jul-11 20:18:05

But if your DC2 is definately getting a place surely your DC1 will on sibling criteria? Not on a hat confused

NellieForbush Tue 12-Jul-11 20:21:31

You need to see their admissions policy. Maybe on their website?

clam Tue 12-Jul-11 20:25:06

Well, this contradicts everything I've ever heard about admissions! Surely in-year admissions must be administered in the same way the "main round" ones are, according to the criteria set out by the LEA? Or is this a private school?

yearningforthesun Tue 12-Jul-11 20:29:43

PrettyCandles Tue 12-Jul-11 20:42:26

Waiting lists are not first come first served. The order changes because if someone applies to the school and is in a higher priority group (eg lives closer to th school, goes to the right church, etc) then they go on it above you, even if they applied later than you.

Some schools do choose between applicants of equal priority by lottery. If you accept dc2's place, that should automatically bump you up the priority list. Can you accept it before they decide the applications for dd1's year?

bubblesincoffee Tue 12-Jul-11 20:47:36

I would post this in one of the education sections. There are some admissions experts over there that will help you with this, especially if you have a case for appeal.

Sounds dodgy to me.

yearningforthesun Tue 12-Jul-11 20:57:56

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now