Talk

Advanced search

To feed them this

(19 Posts)
Rosierubies Tue 12-Jul-11 18:05:55

Dinner smells and tastes like a toxic pond (not deliberatly, an attempt at something new) but ds1 just came into the kitchen saying 'mmm what's that yummy smell', do I feed my dc's the food I most definatly won't be eating?

Lollyheart Tue 12-Jul-11 18:06:27

What is it?

TrinIsASadSpottyFatRhino Tue 12-Jul-11 18:06:46

what is it?

Rosierubies Tue 12-Jul-11 18:07:54

It is meant to be Veg masala, it looks like red sick!

Bloodymary Tue 12-Jul-11 18:08:03

Yes why not, well unless there is a danger of making them ill of course???

Rosierubies Tue 12-Jul-11 18:10:05

Hmmm I'm inclined to try - don't want to waste it and then fob the rest off as a freezer gift to my mother who doesn't seem to care if food is vile. Problem is we have 'don't eat dinner, don't have anything else policy'.

Lollyheart Tue 12-Jul-11 18:10:06

Let him try it don't blame him if he doesn't like it tho grin

TrinIsASadSpottyFatRhino Tue 12-Jul-11 18:11:21

why does it taste bad?

and vegetable masala!....surely there were other new things you could have tried grin

catgirl1976 Tue 12-Jul-11 18:11:59

Meh. If its only veg and there is nothing in there that could cause food poisoning let them try itsmile

TrinIsASadSpottyFatRhino Tue 12-Jul-11 18:12:40

you cant do the dont eat dinner, have nothing else thing if you've just described it as toxic and you wont be eating it

what are you hving?

I would feed it to them and tell them they've had it LOADS when they were younger they've just forgotten but it used to be their favourite when they were 2 not that I ever do that oh no not me

squeakytoy Tue 12-Jul-11 18:14:50

Well if the kids think it smells good, then let them eat it..

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Tue 12-Jul-11 18:14:56

I sympathise... I spent 48 hours (with the marinading time) making a Lamb Biryani.. I followed the recipe almost exactly and it was truly horrible. We couldn't eat it and even the dogs turned up their noses once they'd picked out and eaten the lamb.

... you're not pregnant are you, OP?

JoySzasz Tue 12-Jul-11 18:16:19

If they don't notice I think it should be alright...what veg is in it?

I did a smilar thing once...it was a type of tiny chicken strips cooked in cous-cous ...unfortunately when trying to get bits of the chicken from vegetable -ly couscous ...it was akin to removing cat turds from a litter tray!

Nobody else seemed to mind though wink

MilyP Tue 12-Jul-11 18:19:12

Could veg massala ever look like anything other than red sick?! Maybe brown/yellowy sick.

Rosierubies Tue 12-Jul-11 18:27:33

Oh god I hope I'm not pregnant dc4 is 12 weeks old! I have tried ds1 ate it in silence and has now gone to tennis, bless him he's so polite. Dd and ds2 have turned thier noses up ds2 (4) ' mum but I'm so hungry and this is not nice'.

EvenLessNarkyPuffin Tue 12-Jul-11 18:29:37

Does it taste bitter? If so a little lemon juice and tomato puree will help.

Mamateur Tue 12-Jul-11 18:32:28

Would I show my age terribly if I liken you to Wendy Craig in Butterflies? Her sons were very polite about her food. I had a massive girly crush on the older one.

QueenStromba Tue 12-Jul-11 18:43:31

How about you give them a spoonful each and let them decide if they want it for dinner? if they don't want it tell them that you agree that it tastes awful but thought you would let them decide since your DS said it smelled good. This is a really tasty and healthy curry recipe if you want to give home made curry a go another time. The sauce base is a bit of faff but you're not tied to the cooker with it so you could be doing dishes/mumsnetting while it's simmering. I always do four times the amount of sauce base and freeze 3/4 of it. It easily feeds 3 hungry adults sometimes with enough left over for lunch the next day

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now