Talk

Advanced search

beko recall engineer found charred remains in drip tray but they don't seem to think that was a problem...

(9 Posts)
sorbysedge Tue 12-Jul-11 16:17:53

Hmmm. Ok, so Beko sent a Comet engineer to replace the faulty timer that they say is going to resolve potential fire hazard in our model of fridge. Call me crazy but there was some paper towel stuffed into the drip tray that the Comet engineer had to take out to replace timer. The paper had been directly underneath the motor and looked like it had been close to catching fire at some point in the last 6 years or whatever since the frige was bought. It was charred but soggy. He said he had seen a couple with something in the tray - he had seen one with a sponge but it should really be empty. As it was a auto frost freezer I didn't think to maintain anything to do with the freezer (my bad) but how many other fridges with ignorant owners have had that wadding catch fire? What was it doing there? It is right next to the timer as it happens...
The switchboard denied it would have been left in from manufacturing and that I should have cleaned the tray out. Slightly beside the point. (Who does get their auto defrost fridge freezer out once a month to clean it please, just interested?) It has been logged but if the engineer has seen others....I mean it clearly was a fire risk in ours....

Doyouthinktheysaurus Tue 12-Jul-11 16:23:48

shock

What tray am I meant to be cleaningconfused I wouldn't have a clue, have never done anything with mine.....apart from glare at the thing every time it makes a funny noise, scared it's going to explode or somethinggrin

I would love to get rid of mine. The engineer is coming Thursday, but I've just lost faith.

Catslikehats Tue 12-Jul-11 16:27:28

When you said "charred remains" I thought you meant something else entirely...

Now that would have been worthy of a thread

sorbysedge Tue 12-Jul-11 17:41:35

hahaha it does look way more fun put like that! No I am just blinking at a)the idea that I should have been cleaning my tray - at the BACK of the fridge at the bottom? and b)that they don't think it was relevant that I had burning paper wedged in it. DOyouthink - if yours is another Beko yes ours sounds like a small trapped child most of the time. I know what you mean about losing faith - mmmm going to sleep really well tonight.

CBear6 Tue 12-Jul-11 17:47:48

They're coming to do mine tomorrow, a British Gas engineer anytime between 8am and 8pm and they can't narrow it down to so much as am or pm to at least give me a clue when to expect them hmm

So not only has my fridge-freezer got the potential to spontaneously combust, I have to give up my time for them to come out and fix the fucker without so much as a "we're sorry for the inconvenience".

Did you have to empty your fridge and freezer or was the work done purely behind it rather than inside the actual cabinets?

sorbysedge Tue 12-Jul-11 17:50:59

No he just pulled it out it was really quick to do. Ours was Comet and he actually answered his phone to tell me when he was due during the day. I am currently looking for a new one...
All seems a bit lazily thought through to me. Be interested to know if you have something carbonised in the drip tray...not that they will.

M0naLisa Tue 12-Jul-11 17:55:48

what tray in the fridgefreezer???? shock

CBear6 Tue 12-Jul-11 17:57:46

I'll post back if he finds anything. I'm hoping he'll be early, DH has had to book the morning off work because I'm busy but I've no wish to wait in until 8pm.

sorbysedge Tue 12-Jul-11 18:02:28

They kind of have you over a barrel waiting in. M0naLisa i know! I know! What tray. When I called up to point out there was a separate fire risk in it other than the suspected timer she cut me off immediately going 'YOU should be cleaning that tray out once month." I somehow felt ashamed and speechless at the same time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now