Talk

Advanced search

To think you should get your money back from a swimming locker?

(16 Posts)
EightiesChick Tue 12-Jul-11 08:49:05

Went swimming on Sunday and had to put 20p in to use a locker, which then was kept by the locker afterwards - not by accident; that's how the locker works. Now back in my younger days, I seem to remember it being 2p BUT, besides that, the money came out again when you opened the locker. Is it anything other than an annoying money-making device to construct lockers that keep the money? It's not as if it costs 20p each time to maintain the locker! Why can't we go back to the ones that return your money? Does anyone still have lockers that do this at their local swimming pool?

southeasthamster Tue 12-Jul-11 08:50:32

we don't get ours back either thinking about it!

PersonalClown Tue 12-Jul-11 08:53:32

Our swimming lockers are £1 but we get it back.
Ds makes a nice tidy sum when checking all others when he tidies them up ( he straightens all the keys and shuts the doors. ASD)

i don't know whether to be ashamed or proud of his resourcefulness!

squeakytoy Tue 12-Jul-11 08:54:46

The ones at my pool do this too.. must make them quite a bit of money over time.

Pity they dont seem to use the money to improve the state of the changing rooms though, over half the cubicles have either broken locks or broken tiles in them. sad

southeasthamster Tue 12-Jul-11 08:55:40

our cubicles always smell of wee and bleach

mollymole Tue 12-Jul-11 08:58:40

the whole business has to make a profit, they have to get the money from somewhere and so the 20p is not just to maintain a locker

bruffin Tue 12-Jul-11 08:59:30

At our leisure centre you can pay a one off payment of £5 and you are issued with a card to use for as long as you want to use it.
We used to get the money back but that changed a couple of years ago. What I don't like is that they are very reluctant to give your money back if the money gets stuck and you can't use the locker.

Our lockers are £1.20. You get £1 back and it keeps the rest. I wouldn't mind if they actually used the profits to maintain the lockers, but I was there at the weekend and at least half of them are out of bloody order. It's been reported to maintenance apparently hmm

oldraver Tue 12-Jul-11 09:05:11

I used to use lockers like this, It is annoying if you want to go and get shampoo out or forget something.

The indoor pool in town you pay a refundable pound and get given a tag which eventually after spending an age finding a working locker will open a locker

nicknamechanged Tue 12-Jul-11 09:06:38

ours is 50p and you get it back

squeakytoy Tue 12-Jul-11 09:09:07

Considering they charge people £4.50 for a swim at ours, I do think they could provide you with a free locker for that!

TartyMcFarty Tue 12-Jul-11 09:12:48

I was just about to say what squeakytoy said. Most annoyingly, our local leisure centre converted the lockers so that whereas previously you got the 20p back, now you don't. Particularly vexing if you need to do a nappy change or something.

Paschaelina Tue 12-Jul-11 09:42:33

Ours gives the 20p back.

jenniec79 Tue 12-Jul-11 09:47:13

So glad my gym issue you with a padlock on joining, which will fit on any locker!

DesperateHousewife21 Tue 12-Jul-11 09:51:36

Ours are a pound but you do get it back. I dont think Id go if it kept it!

MrsTumbles Tue 12-Jul-11 10:27:21

I've just come back off holiday where the lockers didn't refund your 20p and it cost me nearly £1 everytime we went! Usually the first locker wouldn't work and just swallowed the money, then I'd forget something (like to take my glasses off), then DH would forget something (like taking his watch off). Then as there is nowhere to store your things after a swim, you would have to get your shampoo etc out and then lock it again with another 20p.

It cost me a fortune over the course of the week, but the changing rooms were spotlessly clean, and they were 'free' to go to, so I didn't mind too much. However if this was a local swimming baths I think it would put me off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now