Talk

Advanced search

To consider calling the police

(35 Posts)
ihatecbeebies Tue 12-Jul-11 00:20:45

I moved into my flat in February and had no problems with the downstairs neighbor, but recently I've not seen him around the close and have seen a lot of teenagers downstairs so I am not sure if he's moved out and new neighbors have moved in. Tonight downstairs are having a party with a lot of teenagers by the sounds of it, they are all loud and I can hear them all talk and seen one in the close earlier too.

The music has been really really loud but I thought it would have stopped by now, it is now 12.17 am and I have a 4yr old DS trying to sleep. I don't want to go downstairs and chap the door as it would mean leaving DS alone up here and I've had a bad experience with awful neighbors in my last home and would feel uncomfortable going to complain to these new neighbors.

AIBU to consider calling the non-emergency and asking if someone could be sent round to ask them to turn the music down as it's a Monday and its really quite late now, or should I just bear it as I've never had problems before (although now I'm wondering if they are new and this may turn in to a common thing)?

BitOfFun Tue 12-Jul-11 00:23:06

Yes, I would call them in your shoes.

Tiredmumno1 Tue 12-Jul-11 00:25:00

Yanbu to call the non emergency number, its monday night and thats ridiculous, so just do it, so you can get some sleep

Tiredmumno1 Tue 12-Jul-11 00:25:43

Alright bof wink

sunshinelifeisgood Tue 12-Jul-11 00:26:49

yes call them, alienate your new neighbours and cause a atomosphere for the future, or think "hey it may be a one off and ill see what happens morro night. If it happens again then fine call the police or you could call the local council first smile

squeakytoy Tue 12-Jul-11 00:26:50

I would call them. Its possible that the occupants have gone away and left a teen in charge, who may think it is fun to have a party every night for the next fortnight, so nip it in the bud right now if you can.

Tiredmumno1 Tue 12-Jul-11 00:29:36

Sunshine the police shouldnt tell them where the complaint is from so how would they know? Its hardly far on her ds or her for that matter

PotPourri Tue 12-Jul-11 00:30:34

Think I would call. BUt I would be clear on the phone that you are worried about an atmosphere developing and ask for assurances that you will not be mentioned or brought into it at all (i,e, no mention that someone complained). If they can't do that, then tell them not to bother coming round.... That's what I would do I think....

Tiredmumno1 Tue 12-Jul-11 00:31:40

Exactly what potpourri said

complexnumber Tue 12-Jul-11 00:32:42

You've never had problems before, don't create them now.

12:30 is not that late to a lot of people.

sunshinelifeisgood Tue 12-Jul-11 00:33:08

Tired and Pot I agree with both but from personal experience I would not rock the boat especially if I was not sure about my neighbours and how they would react tbh

Goldikova Tue 12-Jul-11 00:35:16

Don't call them. Although this is annoying it could be a one off. Better to go and introduce yourself in cold light of day, mention you have a young DC and need to get plenty of sleep. Hopefully they will get the message - if they don't you have laid the grounds for complaint. It is an occupational hazard of living in a flat.

squeakytoy Tue 12-Jul-11 00:36:15

So supposing this is still going on at 2am... then what does Op do?

If she goes to knock on the door and they take no notice, they would then also know it would be her who calls the police.

If she just calls the police, then they wont know if it is her or not..

I wouldnt put up with having my peace disturbed at this time of night, it is fecking rude and inconsiderate.

Goldikova Tue 12-Jul-11 00:39:25

I think its ok for anyone to have a party once in a while even if it does go on till 2 3 or 4 am. Its a pain but not the end of the world. However if it goes on every night that's different.

sunshinelifeisgood Tue 12-Jul-11 00:44:17

squeaky, you may or may not live in a flat. I have neighbours that are really really nice, but the teenager plays loud music some nights. (dont really hear much of it tbh), however her dad sells drugs sad I have learnt from personal experience to keep my mouth shut and get on with them. My life is easy, i have not aggro from the neighbours and if it gets to loud I can knock on the door. If I had in the past phoned the police i dread to think how my life would be now. So my personal advice is if this is a one of DO NOT CALL THE POLICE you could be biting of more than you can chew

sunshinelifeisgood Tue 12-Jul-11 00:45:26

"no aggro"

squeakytoy Tue 12-Jul-11 00:51:26

Sorry Sunshine, but I would have rung the anonymous drug reporting number if I were in your situation. I could not sit there knowing that someone was selling drugs and do nothing about it.

I dont live in a flat now, but have done in the past a few times, and always had consideration for my neighbours, and expected the same back from them.

There is no need for blaring loud music in a house late at night when others may be trying to sleep, that is what pubs and clubs are for.

I have a very loud music system myself, and the only time I ever blast it out is when my next door neighbour is either on holiday or I know she is out. Equally, when they have parties, the music is always turned down by the latest 10pm.

LeaveYourDignityAtTheDoor Tue 12-Jul-11 01:03:48

Instead of calling the police, can you call your local councils noise reduction team (if they have one)? If not, your Environmental Service as this would be classed as noise pollution

ihatecbeebies Tue 12-Jul-11 01:06:51

hmm I'm still really confused about what to do, I agree with everyones posts even though they are conflicting [hconfused] . On the one hand I don't want to cause aggravation if it is only a one off and I've never had any bother before, but then on the other hand the music is being played really loud and they are shouting and banging doors and walls and wrestling (by the sounds of it confused ) and my DS is being woken up and I know I'll get no sleep with all of that going on and I'm getting quite frustrated with it all as although it isn't late to them it is to me and DS.

Gold I agree that everyone has the right to a party but as long as you are considerate of the people living round about you, especially if it is during the week and it is a wild one, at the least a bit of notice would be nice iyswim.

M0naLisa Tue 12-Jul-11 01:09:01

I'd call police

M0naLisa Tue 12-Jul-11 01:09:01

I'd call police

ihatecbeebies Tue 12-Jul-11 01:09:03

Leave Would the environmental service or the noise reduction team send someone round tonight or would it be the next day to come and make a formal report?

LeaveYourDignityAtTheDoor Tue 12-Jul-11 01:34:33

IME they came out that night with a wee machine that measures the decible level of the music. If it is above a stipulated level, they can can issue a Warning Notice and Fixed Penalty Notice. It is also logged in case of further incidents.

Have a look at your local council website. You should be able to find out your councils policy on noise.

Squeaky - you cannot always just ring the drug anonymous hotline on neighbours like that... you can be utterly terrified of them. We accidentally moved into a flat on Cold Harbour Lane in Brixton (after a misleading advert said it was near Elephant and castle) when we were younger. The things that went on outside our house left me utterly terrified awake at night sometimes... the house oposite was some sort of drug den with really shady people going in and out and several times I saw men screaming and trying to escape running down the street from there, being chased by men with chains and metal bars and beaten; I barely dared twitch the curtain to see what was happening as these were seriously evil people. I did call the police in two occasions, when I saw a man with a gun chasing someone and when the man begging in the street was crying for his life... both times I feared for what might happen if the police let on who called. And I didn't have children to consider back then.

It isn't always as easy as doing the right thing. Although in this situation, I would probably have just ignored the noise unless it went past 2.30am or was a regular occurrence...

wideawakenurse Tue 12-Jul-11 01:53:30

Just to to warn you, the last time we rang the police about noisy neighbours having a party at 4am, they would by come out.

They sent an officer round the following day to talk to them.

The environmental dept will only take a verbal complaint for now, it takes a long while in the process for them to come out.

Believe me, I have been there and have much sympathy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now