Talk

Advanced search

to think that my daughter's gym teacher shouldn't have told her to do 100 step ups a day.

(18 Posts)
doodledaisy Mon 11-Jul-11 22:34:38

She's seven, it's supposed to be a fun gym class, non competitive and no exams. And apparently she's told them all to do 100 step ups a day on the stair. Is it me, or is this a bit much?

bubblesincoffee Mon 11-Jul-11 22:42:12

It's too much. Having watched friends dd's at gymnastics classes and seeing the way the trainers stretch their little bodies, I would be very careful about this.

AuntiePickleBottom Mon 11-Jul-11 22:47:34

is it in a whole day or a block of steps, as if we count the amount of time ds goes up and down the stair he must do that

doodledaisy Mon 11-Jul-11 22:53:03

It's up one step, down one step. I just don't think it's appropriate. Dd has down an hours dance class today, PE and walked to and from school (admittedly we live quite close). But then I found her doing 100 step ups at 6pm just because this gym teacher said she should. I feel she's done enough exercise today.

MumblingRagDoll Mon 11-Jul-11 22:55:08

Well....it doesn't seem that many...but if DD were insisiting she do them then I would worry a lot...and think of removing her.

AuntiePickleBottom Mon 11-Jul-11 22:55:43

it is too much

MumblingRagDoll Mon 11-Jul-11 23:00:17

Is it though Auntie? My almost 7 year old regularly walks up to 5 miles as I can't drive ...how is it different when we're walking on tarmac or paving?

MumblingRagDoll Mon 11-Jul-11 23:01:19

Does she do this much excersise daily?

AuntiePickleBottom Mon 11-Jul-11 23:02:20

i can walk for miles, but doing 20 minutes of steps on the wii kills me.

her daughter does other excerise during the day aswell, so this on top of that is too much.

squeakytoy Mon 11-Jul-11 23:03:52

It would take less then five minutes to do that... so no, its not being unreasonable. There are too many unfit kids these days.

MumblingRagDoll Mon 11-Jul-11 23:05:25

But you're not 7 Auntie I'm not saying it's right...I mean..how good at gymnastics is your DD OP? Because unless she's potential Olympic standard I wouldn't allow this...it's not fun when they're "training" at home is it?

MumblingRagDoll Mon 11-Jul-11 23:06:32

I agree with you squeaky in that its not too much...but I do think the teacher is silly really....as I said..unless DD is competing then whats the point when shes already active?

doodledaisy Tue 12-Jul-11 15:43:35

In a week, she does; one dance class (1 hour), one gym class (1 hour), horse-riding 30 mins, two sessions of PE at school, walks to and from school and then one other activity on a Sunday, probably a cycle ride, maybe a walk in the park and play in the playground, this weekend for example we went to soft play for an hour and half (I had a coffee) and then to the park for an hour or we take her swimming. I'd be interested to hear if people think that's enough. She's seven, 50% quartile for height and weight. I just want her to grow up thinking exercise is something you do regularly but it's fun and no, she's not Olympic standard (she's not a natural gymnast, but I encourage her to go because she enjoys it and it wasn't competitive, I thought).

Pagwatch Tue 12-Jul-11 15:49:41

it shouldn't be too much. But if your dd doesn't want to do it. And you don't want her to do it, then don't.

Dd is 8 and has a schedule to do across the holidays if she wants to. It includes splits, box splits, plank, press ups etc. But it isn't compulsory - just if she wants to improve to aim for competition squad.

It won't hurt her but if you think she shouldn't be doing it, don't.

Insomnia11 Tue 12-Jul-11 15:54:15

I might do a hundred step ups a day - probably need to reinforce the bottom step first, mind. Do you think it would do any good?

eurochick Tue 12-Jul-11 15:57:33

It doesn't sounds like much exercise to me but I guess the point is not that but whether the class leader's attitude is too serious and competitive. Have you seen anything else to concern you?

GeneralDreedlesNurse Tue 12-Jul-11 16:59:15

It will strengthen her legs which in turn will make the other moves easier and improve her overall fitness and stamina. even `recreational gymnasts' work towards different levels to show their development. One of them once they have reached or are near level 1 is to do with their overall fitness - iirc they get a nice bronze medal. The coaches will be trained and so they should bnot overstretch your child or set exercises that are too much for them.

My DD is in the development squad and has a schedule for holidays etc which builds strength and stamina. If she was being asked to do 100 mountain climbers I'd agree that YANBU - but 100 step ups doesn't take long. The noise would drive me mad though smile

Why not compromise - do 20 a night and then next week 30 etc so you build it up. As it's a recreational class, don't sweat it - just have a quiet word with the coach and check your DD has understood and that you know whay she has been asked to do this.

ENSMUM Tue 12-Jul-11 17:10:04

YANBU. Step-ups can be very damaging to knee joints and I would imagine that is particularly the case in a growing child.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now