Talk

Advanced search

To be getting seriously annoyed at these facebook posts?

(79 Posts)
nomdeploom Mon 11-Jul-11 21:42:48

I have a friend who posts articles, blogs and general links around twice a day about breastfeeding on facebook. It ranges from people's blogs claiming x number of babies have died in the developed from being formula fed this year to general facts and statistics.

The reason I am starting to get annoyed is because I didnt BF and neither did several other people she is friends with on facebook who have young children. I feel like it is quite insidious and insensitive. She is a good friend and I would prefer not to feel so irritated with her. Am I overreacting?

NB. I am not looking to be convinced of the superiority of bf (Anyway, thanks to my friend you could tell me anything I havnt read already!)

I am a first time aibu poster so here we go... <dons hard hat>... <hits submit>

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Mon 11-Jul-11 21:43:36

Facebook is full of people posting shit.

Hide posts by her.

mumblechum2 Mon 11-Jul-11 21:44:47

What TheMagnificent said.

Meglet Mon 11-Jul-11 21:44:58

You can hide peoples wall posts.

MoonGirl1981 Mon 11-Jul-11 21:45:15

Hmmm.....

People write a lot of wank on facebook don't they?

grin

D0G Mon 11-Jul-11 21:45:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tommy Mon 11-Jul-11 21:45:54

I would hide her.
I've done that with a friend who just writes what time her baby wakes up - every day confused

I just want to write - he's a baby - he doens't sleep at night - get over it

EllieG Mon 11-Jul-11 21:46:16

Hide them. I have a friend on fb like that, I just ignore anything that bothers me.

MummyTigger Mon 11-Jul-11 21:46:17

To be honest, I plan to breastfeed when my first DS arrives... but that doesn't mean I have to bandy it about, rubbing it in my friends' faces and acting incredibly superior and passive-aggressive about it! Have you talked to her about how you feel? Because she could just be posting because she finds it interesting and not out of any kind of spite (although I doubt it... I've met a few people who feign ignorance and yet know EXACTLY what they are doing.)

If it bothers you to that extent, you can limit the amount of posts you can see by this person. Just go into the top righthand corner of the post and ask to "See Less of suchandsuch"

TattyDevine Mon 11-Jul-11 21:46:18

She sounds a proper bore, regardless of her subject matter. Hide, or de-friend.

I had a friend posting incredibly religious stuff. I am not particularly religious. She was not necessarily "wrong", but I did have to hide her.

TartyMcFarty Mon 11-Jul-11 21:46:19

Why don't you comment on one if her kinks, saying so? Might make her think.

TartyMcFarty Mon 11-Jul-11 21:46:59

Links blush

letsblowthistacostand Mon 11-Jul-11 21:47:31

Hide her posts. Not sure if I would rather see that or the posts from my gullible super conservative friend: 99% OF PEOPLE WON'T REPOST THIS IF YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR MONEY SAFE TELL PRESIDENT OBAMA TO SOD OFF BE ONE OF THE BRAVE ONES AND REPOST THIS aaaargh

nomdeploom Mon 11-Jul-11 21:48:14

I never thought of hiding her for some reason! I have hidden loads of people but because she's a good friend it didnt occur to me I could do it to her blush

pigletmania Mon 11-Jul-11 21:48:43

Just hide her posts, or tell her to keep her opinions to herself.

lovesicecream Mon 11-Jul-11 21:52:36

Who ever died from being formula fed? Hide her

Expelliarmus Mon 11-Jul-11 21:54:33

BFing is obviously important to her, and I imagine she posts it on her wall because of that, not to annoy her friends.
If this offends or upsets you, that's not her problem, it's yours, so just hide the posts and think no more about it.
I occasionally post on a breastfeeding page, and it then puts the link onto my wall, it isn't a link that I have conciously shared. If someone took offense over something that I find interesting, I'd find it odd. It's not as if I'm posting on one of the many racist bigoted pages that can be found all over the place.

nomdeploom Mon 11-Jul-11 21:54:57

I think I'll hide her completely. I suppose I can check her profile now and again to see if there is anything of actual interest there.

I just find it so rude. What if I was constantly posting articles about the danger of being overweight or smoking or something knowing some of my friends were overweight/smoked. I think someone would have told me to fuck off by now! (or questioned my mental health) Anyway, mustn't rant!

Expelliarmus Mon 11-Jul-11 21:56:12

Lovesicecream - actually, in the developing world babies do die from being formula fed.

WiiDram Mon 11-Jul-11 21:57:23

lovesicecream - well actually, seeing as you asked something like 5000 babies in the USA alone every year, and as many as 1.5 million worldwide.

Anyway. OP, hide her if it bothers you.

PedigreeChump Mon 11-Jul-11 21:58:49

I have the same thing with a friend whose every post is about being a vegan, links to videos about animal cruelty, vegan recipes etc. It's all very interesting stuff, I completely support her in her choices and think it is great that she is so passionate about it. But it makes me feel guilty about not being a vegan (I don't want to be one! But still feel guilty...!) and it is also a bit boring... smile

nomdeploom Mon 11-Jul-11 21:58:57

expel she is posting links into the newsfeed, but I take your point, I certainly wouldnt compare her posts to racist posts.

Now that I have ranted I do feel better about it!

lovesicecream Mon 11-Jul-11 22:14:14

In the developing world, so from poor hygiene ( non sterile bottles) or from the formula used then?

WiiDram Mon 11-Jul-11 22:17:13

not just in the developing world, lovesicecream

but tbh i do not think the op wanted this thread to be full of posts saying the things she was ranting about her friend saying!

the info is easy to find if you search the web smile

PedigreeChump Mon 11-Jul-11 22:20:18

All as an aside to the OP:

Here is some info

http://www.babymilkaction.org/resources/yqsanswered/yqacode.html#13aug01

I can't comment on anyone's feeding methods, but certainly in the developing world it has been a huge problem. Where possible, I haven't bought Nestle products for about 15 years because of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now