Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be scared of flying?!

(7 Posts)
DarlingDuck Mon 11-Jul-11 21:38:12

I used to fly a lot then all of a sudden I developed a phobia for no apparent reason... I'm flying ina few weeks and go into a cold sweat just thinking about it!

Sirzy Mon 11-Jul-11 21:40:57

YANBU I hate it, always have. I work on the principle if I want to get somewhere abroad then I have to fly! (or ferry but I'm more scared of them!)

squeakytoy Mon 11-Jul-11 21:41:22

Its not unreasonable to be scared, but you can overcome it, and the fact that you have flown lots before will help.

I found it helps to bombard yourself with statistics.. such as you are safer in the air than on the road, or crossing the street.

For the moment, stop even thinking about it, because you will just build on the fear.... you have weeks before you need to pack, so put it to the back of your mind. smile

hatwoman Mon 11-Jul-11 21:41:25

same here dd - I still fly quite a lot but hate it. I'm ok once we're up but take off and landing do my head in. A friend recommended chewing gum - and it does help, for me and my kind of lowish level rumbling not-quite-panic. But if you think you;ve got it worse than that go to your GP - many will prescribe something (beta-blockers? - not sure) to help.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 11-Jul-11 21:41:51

YANBU to be scared but the way phobias work is that you start to be frightened of the fear, rather than the original trigger. Maybe try to work out what it is exactly that bothers you about flying and see if you can rationalise that fear down a few notches before you actually have to travel. You could think about asking your GP for a mild sedative. A lot of people don't feel entirely comfortable hurtling through the sky in a tube with wings... so you're not alone. Good luck

ShirlOckholmes Mon 11-Jul-11 21:44:23

YANBU! I am the same and I know a lot of people who also find flying scary although it does't stop them doing it.
I have not flown for about 10 years but now a relative wants me to go visit him and his family overseas which would mean a long haul flight. Part of me thinks "Just go, its very unlikely anything would happen" and the other part thinks "There is just no way I can get on a plane!"
I know there are Fear of Flying courses one can attend but they are expensive.

DialMforMummy Mon 11-Jul-11 22:03:19

This was me! Could not afford a fear of flying course so used Valium instead. Worked a treat and allowed me to put things in perspective and after a few valiumed flights, I don't need it anymore.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now