Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to consider buying a sofa without sitting on it first?

(20 Posts)
LowLevelWhiiingeing Mon 11-Jul-11 20:17:19

I like the look of this sofa from sofa.com. We know exactly what shape we want and this is it.

Lowish.
Square arms (for laptops blush)
Non-minging fabrics.

But we are a million miles away from the showroom and we're in a rush.

Would you risk it? Or have you used sofa.com?

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow Mon 11-Jul-11 20:19:02

i just brought 2 sofas from different online shops without sitting on them first - they're fine, go ahead and buy what you want.

LunaticFringe Mon 11-Jul-11 20:19:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LowLevelWhiiingeing Mon 11-Jul-11 20:20:11

which shops NotSuch?

I bought my sofa without sitting on it 18m ago. Dont do it!! I hate it, the cushions dont stay put so it needs to be constantly rearranged!!!!

LowLevelWhiiingeing Mon 11-Jul-11 20:22:16

LunaticFringe, I wish I'd tried out bath before we bought it - it's too big and impossible to lie in comfortably!

altinkum Mon 11-Jul-11 20:24:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

petitdonkey Mon 11-Jul-11 20:24:41

I thought exactly the same so made the trip to London to visit their showroom - they are FAB, go for it!!

We bought two Jackson sofas- there was a problem with one of the covers but they sent me a new one plus free arm rest covers. They are super comfy and, although I was worried that the linen would crease badly, they look great nearly three years on. We bought two more just before Christmas for a different room.

londonone Mon 11-Jul-11 20:25:29

Sofa.com sofas are really really comfortable. Have bought a few things from them and all have been fab

londonone Mon 11-Jul-11 20:27:21

just checked which on you are looking at and I am in fact sitting on that very sofa right now. Super comfy, they ar big though.

LowLevelWhiiingeing Mon 11-Jul-11 20:27:53

ooh, mixed feelings about this!

I wouldn't have the white one BTW, thinking grey or teal maybe.

petitdonkey Mon 11-Jul-11 20:28:51

Couldn't remember the name of our second set so went on the website to check and it's the Stella!! Only thing I would say is that we got charcoal linen for the family room and it shows up everything really badly and the back of it has faded. Our jacksons look much better in beige. They are so comfy though, I love them.

LowLevelWhiiingeing Mon 11-Jul-11 20:31:33

ooh, londonone, I've just compared the measurements to our current sofa, and it looks quite high from floor to seat IYSWIM? And quite deep too. What do you think?

LowLevelWhiiingeing Mon 11-Jul-11 20:32:33

I blummin love MN, this is ace! (how dull am I to get excited about sofa advice??)

mosschops30 Mon 11-Jul-11 20:33:11

Yanbu i bought our sifa from m&s without sitting on it

petitdonkey Mon 11-Jul-11 20:33:14

I was wrong, we have Leon! Should've got Stella for removable covers. Don't go for charcoal, we have natural flax on our Jacksons and it's lovely.

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow Mon 11-Jul-11 20:34:24

one from debenhams and one from tesco, really their fine. It's the cheap ones that you have to be careful with.

petitdonkey Mon 11-Jul-11 20:34:34

LLW - it's the depth that makes them so fab!!!

londonone Mon 11-Jul-11 20:37:12

It's deep and height wise it is good as it is quite high so you don't get stuck sitting in it IYKWIM! Would you be going for small or large? What size is your room?

LowLevelWhiiingeing Mon 11-Jul-11 20:59:11

hmmm, it's for a house we're not in yet (exchanged contracts for though grin). I've been relying on the website details but just visited the sight and it's been taken down!

I think the room is about 3.5m by 2.5m.

We were thinking of maybe a 2 and a 3 seater. londonone, what size have you got?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now