Talk

Advanced search

to wonder whether fish count as "pets?"

(15 Posts)
ButWhyIsTheGinGone Mon 11-Jul-11 18:11:02

Hmm. Land lady is coming round for me to re-sign my contract and to check I haven't knocked through any walls/started up a cannabis farm, etc.
It's only really occurred to me that she might object about my fish tank. My contract does say "no pets," so I am willing to be told AIBU.... but I just kind of assumed we were talking dogs, cats, rabbits... basically anything that could make a mess.

The tank is fairly big- four foot in length - but has its own stand and looks really great in my living room. I would be really, really upset if I had to get rid of it.

Any landlords got any opinions? Or any tenants got experience?
TIA

Sn0wflake Mon 11-Jul-11 18:12:38

I don't know but I would think she would be OK with it.

HerHissyness Mon 11-Jul-11 18:13:36

I check people in and out of rental properties for a living.

I personally don't count fish as a pet.

The pet clause is mostly for carpets, furniture etc, as they can be damaged by pets and need to be fumigated and cleaned at the end of the tenancy.

I think you ought to be OK.

Rhinestone Mon 11-Jul-11 18:17:10

We're renting our house out at the moment and whilst we have a 'no pets' clause, I wouldn't be in the slightest bit bothered by fish. I actually wouldn't mind if someone had a dog either! But then I'm a nice landlord.

Smoke in my house and / or upset my lovely elderly neighbours however and I'll tear you a new one!

ButWhyIsTheGinGone Mon 11-Jul-11 18:17:10

Thank you both!
I did think I ought to be ok....guess we will see on saturday!

ButWhyIsTheGinGone Mon 11-Jul-11 18:18:11

Rhinestone - no, I live alone and don't smoke. And as far as I know, my neighbours don;t find me wildly anti-social! :-)

Rhinestone Mon 11-Jul-11 18:20:24

Well you and your fish can rent my house anytime!

msrisotto Mon 11-Jul-11 18:20:54

I'm a landlord and don't allow pets. Fish don't count though. They're completely unable to damage anything.

HairyFrotter Mon 11-Jul-11 18:23:35

I think they means dogs and cats etc. My landlord didn't allow pets but he wrote an exception into the contract for my hamster! I asked about it when I viewed the property and said it was a dealbreaker grin

ButWhyIsTheGinGone Mon 11-Jul-11 18:24:01

Thanks Rhinestone! smile

Msrisotto, the only think I was slightly concerned about was the fact it's utterly impossible to move to hoover under - it is truly massive.
Maybe I should worry more about the carpet that was originally peach but now has a distinct tinge of grey in the high-traffic areas.... must find a decent product for that quick!

hephaestus Mon 11-Jul-11 18:53:35

The fish themselves aren't capable of damaging anything but the water in a 4ft tank (180l?) could do a fair bit of damage if the tank fractured and leaked.

That said, I never had any trouble in rented properties when I had fish and I had several aquariums at the time including a six footer. I did mention them when viewing, letting agent was a bit shocked when she actually saw the size of them but always said how lovely they looked.

ButWhyIsTheGinGone Mon 11-Jul-11 19:17:18

Closer to 300l, hephaestus, and the idea of a leak is making me feel a bit faint... imagining falling into it pissed and smashing it to smithereens
Thanks for the advice though - I'm hoping she thinks it looks nice, as well!

msrisotto Mon 11-Jul-11 19:36:44

Well you'd just be charged for any damage if it occurred.

Nagini Mon 11-Jul-11 19:39:44

Fish don't count smile I know this from renting as a student. There's definitely a fish exemption.

GingerWrath Mon 11-Jul-11 20:03:07

What about Giant African Land Snails?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now