Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to take a baby to a baby shower?

(15 Posts)
chirpchirp Mon 11-Jul-11 16:45:14

One of my best friends is pregnant and another one of her friends has decided to throw her a surprise baby shower.

On the same weekend it is my MIL birthday and she always takes a weekend break with her DSs (my DH) for her birthday. The two neighbours that I would usually ask to babysit are both on holiday and I don't think I would feel comfortable hiring an "unknown" to sit for me.

WIBU to take my DS who is 7months to the shower? I think I would as it's really all about my friend and think it would be unfair to take the attention away from her. My DH thinks I should go anyway and take DS along. I would usually obviously just ask my friend but as it's a surprise party I can't. WWYD?

SenoritaViva Mon 11-Jul-11 16:47:12

Crikey, I wouldn't have thought twice, how kind and thoughtful and caring you are! Why don't you speak to the girl who's organising and explain your predicament?

Pandemoniaa Mon 11-Jul-11 16:49:55

My initial thought is that it's a baby shower, so why would real babies be unwelcome? It's not as if you haven't tried to make other arrangements. When my dcs were babies (admittedly the shower business was yet to be formally foisted upon British society) any similar sort of gathering would always include the babies of friends.

Aworryingtrend Mon 11-Jul-11 16:52:42

I would speak to the girl organising the shower.

PonceyMcPonce Mon 11-Jul-11 16:53:03

Every baby shower I have been to has been full of babies

chirpchirp Mon 11-Jul-11 17:04:52

Thanks for your replies - I haven't been to a baby shower before so wasn't sure of the etiquitte. Will ask the friend organising it and see what she says.

worraliberty Mon 11-Jul-11 17:07:04

ARRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!! Baby showers!!! angry

Sorry, just needed to let that out grin

Lorelai Mon 11-Jul-11 17:10:22

I think as long as it is a daytime shower then that would be fine. I have been to one shower before and took my 9 month old, she was the only baby but no-one batted an eyelid.

TheOriginalFAB Mon 11-Jul-11 17:12:41

These people that have baby showers, do they get presents from the guests for the baby to come then and then another when it is born? Or is it a shower for gifts for the woman and then presents for the baby when it is born.

JamieAgain Mon 11-Jul-11 17:14:05

I would have thought babies were necessary at a baby shower. What else are you gonig to throw at the woman?

northerngirl41 Mon 11-Jul-11 17:21:47

I'd check because technically you were invited, not your son. Depending on the type of event, it might not be suitable for kids (I'm thinking cocktails/silly games/gross out stories/fancy china - most baby showers would be okay but it's often the last childfree event the mum will be having for a while!).

Of course it's very rude to invite an extra person along, so your only polite option is to call up the hostess and explain that since you can't get a babysitter, you're going to have to decline and see what she says. She may well say to bring him along, or she may explain that it's not a child friendly event.

StewieGriffinsMom Mon 11-Jul-11 17:25:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PonceyMcPonce Mon 11-Jul-11 17:27:39

My friends have always bought a mixture - some nice products for the mum to be, some booties, some baby toiletries, books, someone bought a hand book for the dad to be - whatever really. Nothing more than £5 usually and then a baby gift when baby arrives if desired.

TheOriginalFAB Mon 11-Jul-11 17:38:43

Thanks smile.

MeconiumHappens Sat 16-Jul-11 22:37:34

All the baby showers i have been to have been baby friendly smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now