Talk

Advanced search

to think that some people think far too much about 'levels' at this time of year?

(16 Posts)
themildmanneredjanitor Mon 11-Jul-11 16:25:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BeerTricksPotter Mon 11-Jul-11 16:28:24

bubblesincoffee Mon 11-Jul-11 16:29:14

You are probably right! This is the first year I've found myself desparate to know ds1's SAT's levels, he's y6, and I wish I could stop myself! But we used his predicted SAT scores as evidence in his grammar school appeal, so I wouldn't have known what he was predicted otherwise. As we won the appeal, I really want his predicted scores to be accurate! 1 week to wait! blush

streptococcus Mon 11-Jul-11 16:30:09

YANBU
Isn't it just a mumsnet thing though??
I still dont know what they actually mean or what levels my children are on and I couldnt give a flying fuck either as long as they are enjoying learning.

BabyDubsEverywhere Mon 11-Jul-11 16:30:37

How would you know they are progressing without the levels though?

<disclaimer, DS only just started nursey so no idea how it all works yet>

LeQueen Mon 11-Jul-11 16:33:18

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Mon 11-Jul-11 16:37:00

YANBU.

I just about managed to stop myself from posting ds's levels on here to canvass MN opinion as to the likelihood of him getting into a good university to do engineering. He's just finishing Y5 blush

LeQueen Mon 11-Jul-11 16:37:02

BeerTricksPotter Mon 11-Jul-11 16:37:30

bubblesincoffee Mon 11-Jul-11 16:39:54

Class place listings sounds horrible!

It's supposed to be about children achieveing their own potential, not what they achieve in comparison to others.

BeerTricksPotter Mon 11-Jul-11 16:43:07

LeQueen Mon 11-Jul-11 16:52:06

coccyx Mon 11-Jul-11 16:53:42

YANBU. Verges on the obsessive

Allinabinbag Mon 11-Jul-11 16:58:52

As long as you don't go on to others about it, why is it bad to be interested in which level your child has got? I have no idea what anyone else got and won't be asking, but I am interested in my own children's results.

LeQueen Mon 11-Jul-11 17:01:07

youarekidding Mon 11-Jul-11 17:16:46

I wanted to know DS levels as he wasn't expected to get national expectations in Literacy and starting juniors this would have made it hard for him.

Mindyou the letters and numbers on paper were nothing in comparison to his brilliant and lovely teacher saying at parents eve 'well he pulled it out of the bag, he's worked so hard and I'm really proud of him' grin

So yes they are useful as a guide but not the be all or end all - the comments mean so much more as they're personal iyswim.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: