Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to take him with us?

(68 Posts)
MummyTigger Mon 11-Jul-11 16:17:28

Ok, so since our local supermarket has decided to sell rugby tickets on a buy-one-get-one-free basis, DP and I have EXCEPTIONALLY good seats to Wales V Argentina on August 20th.

DP's parents are also going - sitting in a different area - meaning that the baby I'm currently incubating would either have to be looked after by my parents (which would be fine) or to come with us.

Am I being completely unreasonable in taking what is likely to be a one-month-old baby to a rugby match? Have specifically invested in a 4-position carrier so I can BF with ease, and it also gives us the opportunity to put him in his rugby romper suit that my future MIL invested in.

DP totally agrees with me and thinks it would be a great few hours out with the family. What do the Mumsnetters think? Beginning to rely on you all for advice quite a lot!

bubblesincoffee Mon 11-Jul-11 16:20:45

I think you need to put off making a descision until well after bump becomes baby!

suzikettles Mon 11-Jul-11 16:21:33

I went to an International match at Murrayfield last year and there was a couple sitting with their fairly tiny baby in front of us.

To be honest, I don't think they got to enjoy the match much. One or the other of them was forever up and down with him.

But, a four week old baby will (maybe...) be mostly asleep so you could be ok. however, depending on how the birth goes you might still feel like a road accident (sorry!) and not want to be there. Difficult to tell.

If you're bf it will definitely be easier though.

MummyTigger Mon 11-Jul-11 16:22:48

Well, I'm 39 right now, and the consultant I'm seeing has been severely hinting at me having to deliver early because of the size of the tot and the pressure on my hip. So I'll probably end up being induced at 39+5 or 40. So the baby will in all likelihood be a month old at least.

MummyTigger Mon 11-Jul-11 16:24:56

We were also thinking that if it coincides with his "routine" by then, that during halftime we can pass him to MIL, who will be over the moon at watching rugby with him, even if he is fast asleep!

suzikettles Mon 11-Jul-11 16:25:13

Is this your first dc?

Just that if it's not you'll probably have a better idea of what you can cope with 1 month post partum than if it is. Although all births/babies are different etc etc.

bubblesincoffee Mon 11-Jul-11 16:25:30

The baby will be fine! It's you I'm thinking of! grin

MummyTigger Mon 11-Jul-11 16:30:27

Suzi yes, it's my first, so not 100% sure how well I'll cope, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to be ok with everything, DP is almost too supportive haha! Going to have to wrestle baby away from him in order to BF!

And thanks for the concern haha :D Loving that you care smile

AMumInScotland Mon 11-Jul-11 16:31:00

I think you should postpone the decision until a few days before the event - both the baby and your rear end will be changing rapidly during the first few weeks. If you do go, you may want to take a nice soft cushion!

Some babies are sleepy and have a fairly reliable schedule. Some are unpredictable and more "demanding". Until you have some idea what your little person is like, it's very hard to say if it'll be easy or a nightmare.

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Mon 11-Jul-11 16:31:11

If you feel up to it, go for it and I'm sure you'll all have a great day out.

Tanif Mon 11-Jul-11 16:32:36

More to the point, where did you get the romper suit from?!

MrsTittleMouse Mon 11-Jul-11 16:34:33

I am more concerned about you as well. smile You might still be bleeding, you might still be sore, you might not be very confident breastfeeding in public yet, you might have been awake all night... well, you get the idea. grin

The baby will be fine, I'm sure. And much happier with you than with your parents if he/she is breastfed. Mine took quite a bit of work to get them to accept expressed milk. DD2 never did take to it.

suzikettles Mon 11-Jul-11 16:34:45

Ok. Well, if I were you I'd play it by ear.

The tickets are presumably bought. You don't have to decide if you're going or not until the day of the match really - you don't say if you'll have to travel far. I'd factor that in too.

Wee babies are very portable and it's arguable that you'd have less trouble taking him then than in 6 months time, but factor in sleeplessness, possible bf problems, hormones blah blah blah, and it might not seem like a no-brainer nearer the time.

But, it's not like you've committed yourself to fly to Australia - see how it goes (I think it would be easier to take him than leave him with your parents at that age actually) and if when it comes to the crunch you think nah..... then watch the game on the telly.

Pandemoniaa Mon 11-Jul-11 16:36:47

YANBU. I took ds1 to France for the day at 5 weeks. It was a school trip with ex-dh's Year 9 class and the whole day was a complete breeze. It helped that ds1 was ebf and that I had a good baby carrier but other than that, an easy and enjoyable time out. I had had a straightforward birth and ds1 was a happy little soul which helped enormously, but don't rule out a day at the rugby on the basis of having a tiny baby. It can be a lot easier to take them places at this age than as they get older.

MummyTigger Mon 11-Jul-11 16:36:53

That probably sounds best, MumInScotland. I really want to go to this game though, so I doubt even piles, vaginal haemorrhage and an unhappy infant will stop me [hgrin]

Tanif - We have two romper suits from The Scarlets Park in Llanelli. One is white with "Future Prop" and the other is red with "Future Full-Back"

We also have a few bibs that say "Born To Play For Wales", "Number 10" etc etc smile They are amazingly cute.

suzikettles Mon 11-Jul-11 16:39:17

Oh a future Scarlets supporter then (I've got a wee Glasgow Warriors fan at home) smile

oohjarWhatsit Mon 11-Jul-11 16:41:02

how about the noise - could it damage the baby?

or will there only be the five of you there smile

MorticiaAddams Mon 11-Jul-11 16:46:17

I don't think you can say until you have the baby and see what he/she is like.

I agree with oohjar about the noise and think you should take some baby ear defenders with you.

MummyTigger Mon 11-Jul-11 16:46:35

It'll probably be a full stadium if I'm honest..... do they do baby earmuffs lol?!

And yep. Future Cardiff Blues supporter too grin

sausagesandmarmelade Mon 11-Jul-11 16:49:31

IMO....yes totally unreasonable....and, dare I say it...a bit selfish too!

Baby comes first!

suzikettles Mon 11-Jul-11 16:54:33

Oh fgs, the baby will just want to be with his mum. He won't care where she is as long as he's there too!

Baby will be completely fine I imagine, most will sleep though pretty much anything at that age.

I still couldn't get into a sitting position 4 weeks post birth thoughgrin

I think when it is your first you just have to wait and see, your perspective on everything will change and in ways that you couldn't imagine.

EvenLessNarkyPuffin Mon 11-Jul-11 17:01:35

You can do it if you get ear protection for the baby - I've seen a 3/4 year old boy end up crying from the noise at a football match. You'll definitely want a foam cushion for your seat as well grin

sausagesandmarmelade Mon 11-Jul-11 17:01:42

I'm sorry Suzi....should I have agreed with you/the OP?

For some bizarre reason I thought the OP was interested in everyone's opinion on the matter.

And I really do think a month old baby is too young to be at a Rugby match....but what do I know!

Slainte Mon 11-Jul-11 17:02:50

Probably best to make a decision after the baby is here, it's so difficult to know how the birth, feeding etc will go. Also, you probably will need ear defenders for the baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now