Talk

Advanced search

to think dh is being a arse about this.

(36 Posts)
altinkum Mon 11-Jul-11 14:25:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

YoungishBag Mon 11-Jul-11 14:26:55

I don't agree with him - what exactly is wrong with expanding to make more money hmm

We didn't get an Empire with that slovenly attitude grin

He should be helping you - it's all family money right?

olderyetwider Mon 11-Jul-11 14:27:23

YANBU, your business, your business!

itisnearlysummer Mon 11-Jul-11 14:27:57

If you need the help and you're sure your friends DD would be a help and you wouldn't just end up doing your friend a favour and providing some extra pocket money for her for nothing, I'd tell him to fook off!

Esp in light of him not being willing to help either.

DH's want the moon on a stick at times!

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Mon 11-Jul-11 14:28:02

It is a good sign when a business is doing so well that you need to take on an extra person. Trying to stay a one-man band is limiting - and means you aren't growing.

He is being an arse.

SongBirdsKeepSinging Mon 11-Jul-11 14:28:24

Yanbu.....surely you needing help is a sign of how well the business is doing?! He is very silly if he wants to put constraints on how many orders you are able to accept due to not being 'allowed' a helper occasionally.

Congratulations on being a successful business woman smile hope you're orders continue to increase so you need a permanent helper.

HeadfirstForHalos Mon 11-Jul-11 14:29:29

"he said no way, as if I couldn't do the work myself then I shouldn't have started the business"

Um, isn't that what businesses do? Build up their client list, become popular and busy and then take on more staff?

YANBU tell him to fuck off.

altinkum Mon 11-Jul-11 14:32:37

Cocoflower Mon 11-Jul-11 14:32:53

What a stange attitude from your DH... mine would be thrilled and think its great.

Does the £20 wipe out your profit or something?

Congragulations btw on your bussiness sounds lovely and well done for doing so well. Though I dont envy you being in a hot kitchen in this blazing heat!

oohjarWhatsit Mon 11-Jul-11 14:35:01

whats it got to do with him?

altinkum Mon 11-Jul-11 14:36:08

altinkum Mon 11-Jul-11 14:37:22

mumblechum2 Mon 11-Jul-11 14:37:45

What??

I run my own will writing business and dh would never dream of interfering with how I run it.

If I want his advice I ask for it and he kindly gives it, but your dh is crossing the line!

mumblechum2 Mon 11-Jul-11 14:38:46

And I keep all of my will writing money blush. None of that family pot nonsense except when we're talking dh's earnings grin

Callisto Mon 11-Jul-11 14:40:20

My only advice would be - don't just bung her £20 for a couple of hours work, otherwise she will be expecting £10/hour every time she helps. Pay her on an hourly basis a fixed hourly rate that you have both agreed. Keep things like this as business like as you can to avoid problems further down the line.

As for your 'D'H, is he normally so negative about your business? I'd have told him to eff right off and keep his opinions to himself in future.

altinkum Mon 11-Jul-11 14:42:46

Cocoflower Mon 11-Jul-11 14:42:47

The only thing is from a legal point of view you will have to register as he employer and set up PAYE roll surely?

I wanted some help for my bussiness over the Christmas period but after speaking to the tax office it sounded far too much hassle.

TheProvincialLady Mon 11-Jul-11 14:43:00

I assume he lets you tell him how to run his job too? YANBU. Set those boundaries in stone now, because at the moment he is talking like he is your boss.

Bunsouttheoven Mon 11-Jul-11 14:43:48

Yeah dh is being a dickhead, ignore his silly attitude & do as you see fit. Pah, men, sometimes they can be very dimwink

TheProvincialLady Mon 11-Jul-11 14:44:36

You need a business plan and a budget. If you treat your business like a little woman hobby, it will always remain that way and you will be accountable to your husband. Whereas you have obviously got a good business started there...make the most of it.

LunaticFringe Mon 11-Jul-11 14:45:05

NearlyHeadlessnickelbabe Mon 11-Jul-11 14:47:00

Your DH is being a complete prat, personally.

did you start a business to just take enough money to keep you in a hobby? confused

no, I pretty much reckon you started a business to make money.
and if that means you need to hire help, then bloody hell, that's brillliant!

what a twattish thing to say!

"and we haven't made enough profit to hire someone,"
no, but if you don't hire someone, you can't take on any more work so you won't be able to grow, which means you won't be able to make a profit!

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Mon 11-Jul-11 14:49:05

What is his problem - jealousy, insecurity?

Whatever, at times of high demand or as your business grows, you'll need to buy in help or you'll end up failing your customers - and yourself.

YANBU to tell your dh to eff off and leave it to you to ensure that he can spend every day swinging his irons.

In fact, if his attitude doesn't undergo a dramatic change, I'd be looking to move him into the clubhouse permanently, and I'd be considering divorce if the business looks like it'll take off and be a financial success.

NearlyHeadlessnickelbabe Mon 11-Jul-11 14:51:11

I do agree with ProvincialLady, too - you must make a proper business plan.
and get yourself a website or something.
make sure you have your own business bank account (Abbey does one that is free forever), and take the girl's wages out of the takings from the orders you've got.

and yes, give her an agreed hourly wage.

mumblechum2 Mon 11-Jul-11 14:51:43

Actually, tbh I hadn't realised that you were taking money from your joint account rather than from your business account.

But I still think he should wind his neck in for the sake of £20

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now