Talk

Advanced search

to feel so nervous about going for a smear?

(16 Posts)
fanjobanjowanjo Mon 11-Jul-11 12:01:00

I have one today, and it just makes me feel all anxious inside, I do not like pulling my knickers down and spreading em like a muppet and having a speculum thing put up me!

Is it just me being immature? Should I have a much more grown up attitude to this? I just want to hide and not have it done but I'm going in a half hour!

Freddiesfling Mon 11-Jul-11 12:13:14

Honestly it is a quick painfree procedure which although not something to look forward could be the most important 30 seconds of you life. Grin and bear it and go for a nice coffee afterwards. Good luck x

NewTeacher Mon 11-Jul-11 12:16:56

i went to one after 8 years because i felt the same as you....

i sucked it up and bit my lip (I find them excrutiatingly painful) and had tears streaming down my face.

Got my results within 2 weeks and am glad i dont have to do it again for 5 years.

I did it because i felt i owed it to my DC's that IF something was wrong and I never got it checked out (i would forever feel guilty)

its over in 5 minutes and u can forget about it...

Rumpelstiltskinshat Mon 11-Jul-11 12:20:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

janetsplanet Mon 11-Jul-11 12:21:05

I was scared to have a smear. i went 2/3 yrs ago after jade goody died. i had CIN3 cells, had treatment and now need smears every year for 9yrs.
My cousin had never had a smear (i dont think). she died in february after a fight with cervical cancer and then lung cancer. she had been diagnosed just last summer. she leaves behind 3 kids, the youngest 10yr old.

please please go. its 5 mins (if that) of embarrassment

redexpat Mon 11-Jul-11 12:23:12

I don't think anyone enjoys them, they're not very pleasant YANBU!

FessaEst Mon 11-Jul-11 12:24:14

Nowt wrong with disliking the process, well done for going. I can't imagine anyone enjoys it, but it has got to be done.

I found that going to the sexual health/family planning clinic made it more bearable for me, because they are super quick and efficient at it and you know it's what they do all day, so they really couldn't care less/see millions of fanjos etc etc.

KnitterNotTwitter Mon 11-Jul-11 12:25:39

If I was you I'd see it as an opportunity to earn a chocolate eclair for being so brave.... feel free to substitute chocolate eclair with your preferred treat...

I can't imagine there are many people who go 'yippee smear day today'... but similarly we all go because the implications of cancer are MUCH worse...

FessaEst Mon 11-Jul-11 12:25:40

Am sure you know the this tip, but I find wearing a loose, long skirt really does help, as you can slip your knickers off while still feeling covered up and don't have to walk across the room etc with a bare bum!

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 11-Jul-11 12:28:54

YANBU to feel so nervous about them, YWBVU if you didn't go for it.
I had one a couple of weeks ago. They are agonising for me, I have a keloid scar on my cervix from the suture I had to keep DD from falling out.
I look at it this way, if I could go through the suturing to keep her safe, it's only right to have a smear in case anything is wrong. Another way of keeping her safe.
Good luck

Niecie Mon 11-Jul-11 12:30:01

No YANBU but just to look on the bright side it will all be over by this evening and you won't have to do it again for 5 years. It really is worth it for the peace of mind it brings too.

I know it is hard but take a few deep breaths and try to relax, it really does help things along.

squeakytoy Mon 11-Jul-11 12:30:28

I hate them, and put off having mine done for ten years. I was daft, and risking my health too, because it really is one of those things that if there are any problems, the sooner it is treated, the easier it is to treat and it honestly is over and done with in under 30 seconds too.

I was clear, and very thankful for that.

Niecie Mon 11-Jul-11 12:30:56

Whoops - just noticed the time. Op has probably gone. Hope it all goes well smile

marge2 Mon 11-Jul-11 12:34:04

Oh Poo. You reminded me I have one on Wednesday!! I don't particularly enjoy them either. Just grit my teeth lie back and think of England though. soon over!!!

beautifulswan Mon 11-Jul-11 12:43:07

Last time I went to the doctor she noticed I hadn't been for a smear in 9 years and told me off. I felt like a small child! I keep meaning to book it but haven't quite got round to it.

fanjobanjowanjo Mon 11-Jul-11 13:02:02

Thanks everyone smile All over with for another 3 years yay. I can eat my dinner now without wanting to <boak>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now