Talk

Advanced search

To not want guns fired in my direction

(6 Posts)
HappyHome Mon 11-Jul-11 11:39:14

Bit of background information....

Our garden sides onto farmland. The farmer has been having trouble with pigeons in the field next to us and for the last 6 weekends we have woken up to gun shots. It appears that he has invited people to come on a weekend to shoot the pigeons, they arrive at 7.30/8 ish and stay untill lunchtime, hiding in the hedgerow at the bottom of the field and fire up towards our garden.

This weekend I had had enough. Its very unnerving going into your garden knowing that not very far away people are firing in your direction.

I called the farmer twice but had no reply so I called the police who were completely in agreement with me about guns being fired so close to residential property.

I'm expecting the farmer will have something to say about this so I'm looking for some perspective on the situation.....was IBU to call the police?

squeakytoy Mon 11-Jul-11 11:41:31

Of course you were not being unreasonable, and I would also wonder if it is legal to organise a "shoot" too...

I would have thought there would need to be warning signs in place when live ammunition is being used too.

And tell the farmer to get a humane bird scarer, or make a fecking scarecrow!

AgentZigzag Mon 11-Jul-11 11:43:13

You tried to call the farmer and I think it's a genuine concern that he keeps your house in mind when aiming.

The farmer shouldn't be funny about it, if they are just keep calm and be polite then it'll just be them being funny on their own.

Are the police going round then?

LRDTheFeministNutcase Mon 11-Jul-11 11:46:32

YANBU!

My parents' house has farm on two sides and we used to have issues with the young son firing air-gun pellets too near us - a real gun is fucking dangerous! They sound idiots, frankly.

HappyHome Mon 11-Jul-11 11:51:10

Thanks for your replies,

The police came round but it was after they had left. They took the farmers number and also the registration numbers of the vans involved (which I had taken note of).

It really was a pointless exercise in bird scaring as as soon as they had left the birds returned.

navyblueknickers Mon 11-Jul-11 16:42:09

We get this too, but with rabbits. We called the police becuase the bastards hunters were right next to our hedge and I was worried about them shooting one of the dogs.

We were told that what they were doing wasn't illegal but that they could not fire over our land, or into our hedge.

They now get annoyed with us wandering up and down alongside our hedge with the dogs barking as it scare the bunnies away and distracts their dogs grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now