Advanced search

to disagree with neighbours

(28 Posts)
LunaticFringe Sun 10-Jul-11 22:10:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cookcleanerchaufferetc Sun 10-Jul-11 22:12:21

YANBU!

CQrrrneee Sun 10-Jul-11 22:12:41

YANBU. You'd be mad to let them just go ahead and dig up your property.

Eglu Sun 10-Jul-11 22:12:54

YANBU. They have a probelm with the driveway, you don't. If they want to work on it they should pay for it and agreet o pay for any problems.

mumnotmachine Sun 10-Jul-11 22:13:17

Is it the water meter causing the damage?
Or are you concerned about damage being caused to the water meter?

mumnotmachine Sun 10-Jul-11 22:14:47

If the water damage to their property is not being caused by anything on your property tell them no.
They cannot dig up your property and expect you to pay half as well!!!

LunaticFringe Sun 10-Jul-11 22:16:02

MumOfAPickle Sun 10-Jul-11 22:31:36

It might be hard but you need to be crystal clear with what they want to do, what they expect you to pay for and what will happen with any potential subsequent damage.

If you're on mat leave then I bet you end up dealing with it all as it'll be done in the week. I would ask them for copies of any quotes/paperwork (they must have something to know that the work will fix the problem). Maybe say that you've spoken to your insurers and they need written confirmation of blah blah blah... Or blame any pickiness on DH grin

ShellyBoobs Sun 10-Jul-11 23:10:54

I can't understand why you'd even consider paying towards the work.

If it's only their garage which is having an issue and the driveway doesn't need repairing/replacing for any other reason, it's not reasonable to ask you to contribute.

I would be of the mind that they should be paying all the expenses but I wouldn't allow the work, even at their expense, unless they agreed to cover any future issue with your water supply.

FabbyChic Sun 10-Jul-11 23:13:34

Put it in writing that you are not prepared at this time to enter into an agreement with regards to costs, and that you are unable at this time to fund any repairs to works on your side and therefore would prefer that any work was not carried out until a later date.

bubblesincoffee Sun 10-Jul-11 23:15:13

YANBU at all. You should do exactly as you suggested in your OP.

biscuitmad Sun 10-Jul-11 23:41:28

I would tell them that your are not having any problems when it rains, and dissagree with them carrying our works on your property.

They need to sort out a better drainage system on their side of the drive not yours.

mablemurple Sun 10-Jul-11 23:42:34

If their garage is flooding every time it rains, I don't think they are being unreasonable in wanting to do something about it. However, how do they know that this proposed work will rectify the problem - have they had professional advice about it? What other solutions could there be to the problem, that might not involve any expenditure on your part? I would talk to them some more about it to try and explore all options. If you stonewall and refuse to engage with them about it, it will only cause bad feeling between you.

troisgarcons Sun 10-Jul-11 23:46:35

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

mablemurple Sun 10-Jul-11 23:48:31

completely unnecessary, troisgarcons.

Mare11bp Sun 10-Jul-11 23:52:22

Even if you had the money why should you pay? Their garage, their problem!

LunaticFringe Mon 11-Jul-11 10:27:02

LunaticFringe Mon 11-Jul-11 10:34:27

BuggerAllTheBestNamesAreTaken Mon 11-Jul-11 10:40:11

My mum had a drainage channel dug across the entrance to her garage to stop the water flooding in then a grid fitted, she didn't need to have all her drive dug up.

We used to have a shared drive and it's a minefield legally!

NerfHerder Mon 11-Jul-11 10:40:35

I don't see how you can agree to work on your property that may cause problems on your property down the line, and I cannot see how on earth they think you should pay for it if they're not even going to take professional advice!

YANBU, and I hope this isn't too stressful for you with a new baby etc.

I think if it were my neighbour, who had called in professionals to come up with a solution that caused no further problems in the future I would pay half to keep the situation pleasant, but that is not what is happening here.

SenoritaViva Mon 11-Jul-11 10:43:12

Can you call the CAB for some advice?

LRDTheFeministNutcase Mon 11-Jul-11 10:43:19

If you can swallow your pride and be very upfront about your lack of money I think that will be the clearest - my parents have had this sort of conversation with neighbours who are nice but honestly don't realize that 'everyone' can't just spend a few grand when necessary.

They probably think as you live next door your money situation is similar.

ragged Mon 11-Jul-11 10:43:32

Same here, DH dug a drain channel (using angle grinder) across the front of our garage, drains into pre-existing soakaway..

SherlockMoans Mon 11-Jul-11 10:50:36

I have to say I dont see why they cant put in some kind of drainage across the front of the garage (thus being their problem rather than involving you at all) Quite a simple not too expensive job if you find a decent local builder but are you sure they are not using it as an excuse to change the look of the drive at the same time?

I think as suggested you have to be upfront and say "we are really sorry but we just cant afford it at the moment"

If your water meter/pipes are damaged it could cost you a fortune!

LunaticFringe Mon 11-Jul-11 11:22:48

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now