Talk

Advanced search

to think you shouldn't climb through the window unannounced

(36 Posts)
wredel Sun 10-Jul-11 21:20:49

My mum sent my brother round to give back a book I'd lent her. I'd left a window open so instead of ringing the bell he just climbed through the window, he then wandered into the living room and scared the living daylights out of dd and me. I found this quite annoying but he just seem to get why it bothered me. AIBU?

Fimbo Sun 10-Jul-11 21:22:40

I would be more scared by the fact that he could actually get in through the window and wouldn't be leaving it open again.

MiserableLes Sun 10-Jul-11 21:23:30

He might be a burglar and cannot help himself

squeakytoy Sun 10-Jul-11 21:23:39

Maybe he was demonstrating how easy it would be for a potential burglar or rapist to gain access to your house.. I would keep those windows closed or more secure.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sun 10-Jul-11 21:24:18

How old is he? When my DS was a teenager he was a bugger for that kind of stuff.

wredel Sun 10-Jul-11 21:24:38

He's 14

HelloKlitty Sun 10-Jul-11 21:25:30

Ah. Wel 14 year old's are strange. Forgive him.

BertieBotts Sun 10-Jul-11 21:27:06

Oh FGS, a potential burglar or rapist?? Are people really that paranoid not to open windows when they are AWAKE and in the house? hmm

Sounds like something my DP would do by the way. I'd probably laugh once I got over the shock grin

BertieBotts Sun 10-Jul-11 21:28:59

DP says, BTW, maybe he didn't want to bother you by making you get up to answer the door. This is logical apparently.

TidyDancer Sun 10-Jul-11 21:29:38

Unless you a permanent resident of the house, you should not be using the windows as a form of entry. Although since it's your brother, he may just qualify under this.

Came to this conclusion long ago during similar debate with brothers during childhood.

TidyDancer Sun 10-Jul-11 21:30:05

Unless you are a....is what I meant!

potterschmotter Sun 10-Jul-11 21:30:40

it's probably not in debretts modern manners

nolidio Sun 10-Jul-11 21:32:52

He sounds a bit of a rascal playing tricks on his sister, just smack his bottom

squeakytoy Sun 10-Jul-11 21:33:09

Are people really that paranoid not to open windows when they are AWAKE and in the house?

With good reason Bertie. In the area where I live, there have been a spate of daytime burglaries, when residents were in the house. An open window will always attract chancers who think they can be in and out without having to make any noise.

It isnt paranoia, it is a real risk in many areas unfortunately.

superjobeespecs Sun 10-Jul-11 21:34:45

my OH climbs out the living room window then screams boo!! in the bathroom window when im in the shower blush our back garden is huge and looks onto nothing but green the windows only open about 4 inches to let out the steam im not a perv flasher hmm grin most men think this is funny at least the nobbers i know but it is scary having someone climbing in your house whether you know them or not..

usualsuspect Sun 10-Jul-11 21:37:30

It sounds like a perfectly reasonable thing for a 14 year old boy to do

BertieBotts Sun 10-Jul-11 21:40:34

Okay, but rapists? Really?

janewa Sun 10-Jul-11 21:41:57

YANBU I'd have gone mad at him, the little shit why could he knock on the door like a normal person rather than sneaking in and then scaring you, he could easily have caused a panic attack.

Fimbo Sun 10-Jul-11 21:45:35

I leave windows open, but not any that any potential idiot could climb through.

tokle Sun 10-Jul-11 22:02:46

Seems like typical male puerile behaviour to me

HelloKlitty Sun 10-Jul-11 22:06:58

tokle Male? I used to do FAR more purile things than climbing through windows at 14!

squeakytoy Sun 10-Jul-11 22:08:37

Maybe rapists is being a bit extreme, but it isnt unheard of. Better to be safe than sorry either way..

udupper Sun 10-Jul-11 22:20:37

Come on its was harmless fun from your little bro

latitude Mon 11-Jul-11 13:23:03

YABU he's just playing tricks on you.

DogsBestFriend Mon 11-Jul-11 13:25:38

I don't take kindly to sudden shocks so I'd have bollocked him.

Actually, I wouldn't have needed to... my dogs would have taught him that a window is not the recommended point of entry long before I got to him. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now