Talk

Advanced search

Why do car boots start so bloody early?

(18 Posts)
Choufleur Sun 10-Jul-11 19:11:44

Was up at the crack of dawn this morning to go to a car boot to sell stuff so that DS could have a new bike.

Why do they start so bloody early though?

glassescase Sun 10-Jul-11 19:14:14

I agree, arrived at one at 7 am without booking a pitch and were turned away.

Choufleur Sun 10-Jul-11 19:16:09

I was up at 4.45am to get a decent pitch. We only live 5 min drive away. There were loads of people there already. Not just setting up but on the hunt for stuff, coming asking if we had random things as we were unloading the car.

L8rAllig8r Sun 10-Jul-11 19:19:05

Totally agree! I'm always put off going as by the time DS and I are up and get there, the good stuff will be gone anyway. There should definitely be more afternoon sales.

Driftwood999 Sun 10-Jul-11 19:20:39

Because the early bird catches the worm grin It's organised graft, sellers pack the night before and set up early and customers turn up early to take the pick. All done, with a bit of day left. Why drag it out?

Choufleur Sun 10-Jul-11 19:20:43

By 10am I was hanging and just wanted to sit down properly so we were selling stuff dead cheap just to get rid of it.

Please that we made nearly enough for DS's bike though from stuff that I would normally have just thrown/given to charity.

HarryPotheadLicksDobby Sun 10-Jul-11 19:22:30

Our local car boot doesn't start till 10am grin

Andrewofgg Sun 10-Jul-11 19:23:12

Because the early bird catches the worm

which is why the wise worm has a lie-in!

EggyAllenPoe Sun 10-Jul-11 19:23:35

ah but the car boot was the feature of the day.. what constitutes 'good' is a matter of opinion ..

i came away with lovely tops for DD, two orange plastic tubs (v. retro-camping) ...and an ikea lamp.

at 9.30. still plenty of the day to go...i like that in fact. although when saturay nights were more drunken, chance are we wouldn't have made it.

1gglePiggle Sun 10-Jul-11 19:27:26

I agree totally, I never have understood why they're so early as it's a nightmare as a seller getting up so early and Sundays are usually pretty boring so it would be nice to go to a car boot in the afternoon. Newquay does some that start at 12, ideal in my opinion!

Choufleur Sun 10-Jul-11 19:32:06

But I don't want to do anything for the rest of the day as I got up before bloody 5am!

10am start would be brilliant HarryPothead.

BertieBotts Sun 10-Jul-11 19:33:52

It's quite fun though, to get up early for a one off I always think. Like going on holiday!

<doesn't get out much>

bibbitybobbityhat Sun 10-Jul-11 19:36:51

Its fucking annoying bonkers, isn't it?

We have been to about 3 car boot sales - all as sellers - but I refuse to go to the ones that start before 10am. Even if you start at 10, its all over by 1pm; still plenty of the day left after that.

Choufleur Sun 10-Jul-11 19:38:21

At least doing it in summer you don't get people shining torches in your faces asking if you have mobile phones, jewellery, perfume etc. They just seemed to hover and ask.

5GoMadOnAZ650 Sun 10-Jul-11 19:39:54

I quite enjoy the very rare occasions when someone will look after the dd's so I can do a carboot with dp. It reminds me of having to get up early to go on holiday as a child. There are a couple of carboots locally which don't start until 1pm which are quite good if we want to buy rather than sell.

LaurieFairyCake Sun 10-Jul-11 19:43:04

It's so weird though, I don't even think about going out til midday on a Sunday.

Choufleur Sun 10-Jul-11 19:46:24

All i kept thinking this morning as I was dragging myself out of bed was that in my misspent youth I hadn't even gone to bed at that time most Sunday mornings.

TheMonster Sun 10-Jul-11 19:47:39

I helped to organise one yesterday at our school. We specified that it started at 10 with gates opening at 9 for sellers. People were there before 8, and not just sellers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now