Talk

Advanced search

To think he might learn from this

(8 Posts)
dealer Sun 10-Jul-11 10:31:06

Although I doubt it!

Ds(14) has gone on army cadet camp for a week.
He had an extensive list of stuff to take, so I was involved in the purchase of extra stuff (penknife/padlock/green string etc). Beyond that though I've let him sort it himself. I have however been unable to stop myself from poking my head in his door and asking things like 'have you thought about shampoo? Do you have enough socks?' He kept rolling his eyes at me and telling me it's fine and sorted, stop nagging. He packed it all in a suitcase on Friday evening while I was out, and I was fairly impressed with the ticked-off list he'd left on the table, indicating he'd done everything.

He left on Sat morning while I was at work, so I left a note reminding him to do toothbrush etc. I came home yesterday to find a few items on the floor next to where the suitcase was, including a dirty, inside-out, crucial football sock, which presumably means the other one is also dirty and inside the case. To have left the other items just strewn on the floor, he presumably must have just thrown things vaguely at the case, in the hope they'd go in. I don't know how he couldn't have noticed them as he picked up the case.

I then went in the bathroom, and discovered a perfectly packed wash bag left. So he had packed it, but left it there. He has no shower gel, toothbrush, hairbrush, toothpaste, deodorant etc at all! He has a week of wading through swamps, climbing hedges, scaling rocks, running distances etc etc to get through. He may smell by next Saturday.

FabbyChic Sun 10-Jul-11 10:33:54

IM sure he will do just fine, he can borrow off other cadets.

dealer Sun 10-Jul-11 10:36:39

Apart from toothbrush really. I guess he'll just have to use his finger all week.

AuntiePickleBottom Sun 10-Jul-11 10:38:29

i would imagine they would have spare incase of someone forgetting things

catgirl1976 Sun 10-Jul-11 10:39:43

Given his age I bet he won't be that bothered! But if he is he might just learn something smile

kreecherlivesupstairs Sun 10-Jul-11 10:41:36

I would doubt that they have spares Auntie. Imagine if he was in the real army and went off somewhere. Surely the whole idea of cadets is to teach them some independance?

MayorNaze Sun 10-Jul-11 10:42:15

ds goes on adventure holidays, i can guarantee that despite packing washstuff and many pants he will use none of them for the entire week

boys are just a bit icky like that

don't worry grin

dealer Sun 10-Jul-11 10:43:14

Yes, it's quite hardcore, not like a school camp. I doubt very much they'll help him out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now