Talk

Advanced search

To want dh to stop making poncey French bread that makes our kitchen look shitty?

(34 Posts)
lecce Sat 09-Jul-11 21:07:40

Dh loves cooking and has recently got into making his own bread, partly as a cost-cutting move.

All well and good, but he has recently discovered a French-type loaf, I can't be arsed to get up and find out its name, and it is a total PITA.

Firstly, it is round with a big hole in the middle and therefore totally useless for sandwiches- which is all I use bread for, and not that great for toast either.

Secondly, he has to faff around with the dough, letting it rest or some such shit, and sort of part bake it - I don't really know what he's doing but suffice to say, he's becoming a little obsessed.

Thirdly, and this is the worst part IMO, is the mess it makes. You are supposed to put flour on the top after it is bakes, so he shakes it on with gay abandon all over the hob - then leaves the residue there to burn on angry. He sems to have doughy/floury hands all the time when in the kitchen and merrily splats these all over our glossy black cupboard doors as much as he can - making the kitchen look like a shit-hole. When you cut the bread, the flour shakes off onto the floor, causing yet more mess.

Ok, he does all the cooking and kitchen cleaning (SAHD, I have f/t job that involves evening/weekend work and ds2 still bf at night) but still - I ashouldn't have to put up with this, should I?

lecce Sat 09-Jul-11 21:09:21

Dh loves cooking and has recently got into making his own bread, partly as a cost-cutting move.

All well and good, but he has recently discovered a French-type loaf, I can't be arsed to get up and find out its name, and it is a total PITA.

Firstly, it is round with a big hole in the middle and therefore totally useless for sandwiches- which is all I use bread for, and not that great for toast either.

Secondly, he has to faff around with the dough, letting it rest or some such shit, and sort of part bake it - I don't really know what he's doing but suffice to say, he's becoming a little obsessed.

Thirdly, and this is the worst part IMO, is the mess it makes. You are supposed to put flour on the top after it is bakes, so he shakes it on with gay abandon all over the hob - then leaves the residue there to burn on . He sems to have doughy/floury hands all the time when in the kitchen and merrily splats these all over our glossy black cupboard doors as much as he can, making the kitchen look like a shit-hole. When you cut the bread, the flour shakes off onto the floor, causing yet more mess.

Ok, he does all the cooking and kitchen cleaning (SAHD, I have f/t job that involves evening/weekend work and ds2 still bf at night) but still - I shouldn't have to put up with this, should I?

MiserableLes Sat 09-Jul-11 21:10:57

Bread with a hole in the middle,obsessed you say?

As long as he does not end up shagging it then you are ok

worraliberty Sat 09-Jul-11 21:11:04

I doubt it's PITA bread...I think that's Greek grin

Fontsnob Sat 09-Jul-11 21:11:16

YABU...twice.

glassescase Sat 09-Jul-11 21:12:39

Be grateful!

Choufleur Sat 09-Jul-11 21:13:55

YABU fresh, home baked bread is lovely

GoggleEyed Sat 09-Jul-11 21:15:34

Sorry, I think YABU. He enjoys doing it. He does the cleaning. You dont have to use it for sandwiches. Pop down to the shops and get your own loaf for that. You do need to let bread rest when you are making it by hand - and incidentally, made by hand if far far better IMO than a breadmaker. There is something soothing about the smell of freshly baked bread. I think I will have to go and make some now! grin

Bunbaker Sat 09-Jul-11 21:15:38

Whoa! I would be delighted if my husband made such nice sounding bread. You aren't very grateful. I don't see why you can't make toast or sandwiches with it. I bet it tastes much nicer than sliced supermarket bread.

If the mess bothers you so much why not get a breadmaker?

Incidentally, it is usual to leave the dough to rise otherwise you would get a very dense and heavy loaf.

IroningBoardForSurfBoard Sat 09-Jul-11 21:16:49

put up with what?

your DH does the cooking, he does the cleaning, where's the 'putting up with'?

YABU, go open some wine (and don't forget to wipe up any drips)

GentleOtter Sat 09-Jul-11 21:16:52

Sorry but envy at your poncey French homemade bread.

YABcompletelyU

lecce Sat 09-Jul-11 21:17:15

Miserable That has made me splurt my wine a bit.

Sorry I posted twice, didn't mean to.

Yes, it's lovely if you get it warm with butter and jam. not so great for sandwiches, which is what I actually need it for.

Come on - he should wipe his hands shouldn't he? And make user-friendly bread?

TattyDevine Sat 09-Jul-11 21:18:25

I don't see why she should be particularly grateful, unless she specifically asked him to make her poncey bread, however, I think she should also choose her battles.

Sorry OP I'm speaking about you like you are not even here!

Mmmmm bread.

YANBU

SinicalSal Sat 09-Jul-11 21:18:55

YABU and I know you are because I am the messy bread maker in this house and DH is the huffy-about-flour one. As long as he tidies up after himself you should eat the bread and be bloody grateful! wink

lecce Sat 09-Jul-11 21:19:19

I would love to go and get some nice, sliced loaf but then he gets all offended and rants on about how I would be "Living on Mother's Pride" if I hadn't met him.

Yes, it does smell nice, must admit, damn him.

BikingViking Sat 09-Jul-11 21:20:49

YANBU - kick him out immediately and send him my way with his fancy bread-making skills

grin

BadBagel Sat 09-Jul-11 21:21:27

YABVU
I bet it tastes a lot better than the non messy square shop bought loaf.
Guess you don't eat bagels then?

lecce Sat 09-Jul-11 21:21:43

He does clean up, but only when he would be cleaning anyway - why won't he clean as he goes along? Anyway, may go and cut some so have with some cheese now.

BikingViking Sat 09-Jul-11 21:22:22

(ps, we also have black glossy kitchen cupboards, but seeing as the dc's already cover those in shit on a regular basis, I'm happy to put up with floury prints as a price for freshly baked bread - made by somebody else)

ib Sat 09-Jul-11 21:23:36

Blimey.

Dh makes bread. I say thank you.

Anything else is just wrong. Imagine if it was a man posting this about his sahm wife, the pasting he would get!

Ormirian Sat 09-Jul-11 21:24:06

Shock! Hold the front page! Someone is using their kitchen for ....gasp...cooking instead of ....what? ponceing about in, sipping champagne in and leering at their partners (sorry - that's what they seem to do in Kitchen company ads). Kitchens are made for using! YABU

thisisyesterday Sat 09-Jul-11 21:24:33

yabu!

he makes bread and he cleans the kitchen.

how is that a problem?

WhoWhoWhoWho Sat 09-Jul-11 21:24:35

envy

If he cleans up after himself I don't see the problem.

Fontsnob Sat 09-Jul-11 21:25:52

Giggled at user friendly bread. Still BU though.

TheSugarPlumFairy Sat 09-Jul-11 21:30:15

OP, i feel your pain. My husband does exactly the same thing. His current obsession is sour dough. It is very nice straight out of the oven but as you say, useless for sandwiches etc. As i type there is a loaf resting on the kitchen bench. The rest of the kitchen looks like a bag of flour exploded all over it.

The difference between my H and yours is that mine never cleans up after himself. It will be me scrubbing the arseing flour off the wooden bench tops later tonight after he has finished up and is basking in the loveliness of his fresh bread.

once, a few years ago he made his own pasta. Somehow the pasta dough made it into the kitchen light fitting. He still cant explain how it got there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now