Talk

Advanced search

Should I let DD sweat a bit more or put her out of her misery?

(31 Posts)
AgentZigzag Sat 09-Jul-11 19:57:34

I gave DD1 (10) a tenner to take when she goes out with a friend tomorrow.

She lost it hmm

I had a quick shufty and found it sitting on her desk (full of crap) with the wind blowing a gale through the window, so it could have ended up anywhere.

Should I tell her I've found it, or let her carry on feeling shit because she was so careless with my money?

AgentZigzag Sat 09-Jul-11 19:58:53

I thought I was looking at preview but actually posted grin

I meant only let her carry on thinking it for a while longer, not forever more.

MiserableLes Sat 09-Jul-11 19:59:00

Spend it on a nice bottle of wine

GwendolineMaryLacey Sat 09-Jul-11 19:59:01

Is she usually careless? If so I'd leave it till morning, if not I'd tell her.

Sassyfrassy Sat 09-Jul-11 20:00:39

Stick it underneath the stuff on her desk and suggest that if she tidies up she might find it =)

AgentZigzag Sat 09-Jul-11 20:00:43

She is quite 'distracted' normally gwen.

Wine eh?...

michglas Sat 09-Jul-11 20:01:00

No way, that is so cruel to keep her hanging on. Tell her you found it and give her a hug. DD2 (10) would be worrying all night and wouldn't sleep if she thought she had lost something.

FabbyChic Sat 09-Jul-11 20:01:32

Hey leave it an hour or so then tell her you found it!

zukiecat Sat 09-Jul-11 20:01:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

purplepidjin Sat 09-Jul-11 20:02:30

Tell her to put something under her pillow and the fairies might bring a surprise

like a fiver because you spent the other five on a bottle of plonk

AgentZigzag Sat 09-Jul-11 20:06:02

I am just a big ol' meaney grin

At least she is bothered about losing it, I'd be more worried if she just brushed it off, or more typical, tried to blame me grin

MadYoungCatLady Sat 09-Jul-11 20:09:34

I remember losing a treasured £20 note when I was about that age. I cried and cried and cried... I had left my bumbag blush open slightly and it had escaped sad

bibbitybobbityhat Sat 09-Jul-11 20:11:23

Tell her immediately! She's feeling awful.

muffinflop Sat 09-Jul-11 20:13:58

I don't think you're being that mean - and I bet madyoungcatlady took care of money after that!

I'd put it back on her desk and tell her if she tidied her room maybe she'd find it - and possibly help her to ensure it's found!

Poshbaggirl Sat 09-Jul-11 20:14:27

Totally agree with sassyfrassy, put it under something, almost where you found it and tell her to go and look for it. Next time tell her to put it straight into a purse.

startail Sat 09-Jul-11 20:14:54

If she's very upset tell her else I rather like the tidy up her desk suggestion.
Must confess, I decline to trace the owner of any coins left lying around. They go in Mums carparking jar.

squeakytoy Sat 09-Jul-11 20:15:53

I think hiding it under the mess that is her desk, and suggesting she tidy her desk is the best idea.

zukiecat Sat 09-Jul-11 20:19:05

BuntyPenfold Sat 09-Jul-11 20:34:10

zukiecat that is awful sad

zukiecat Sat 09-Jul-11 20:35:37

BuntyPenfold Sat 09-Jul-11 20:40:54

poor zukie

AgentZigzag Sat 09-Jul-11 22:08:06

Bloody hell zukie that's terrible for you to have to remember, sorry I made you think of it.

She had tidied the desk up muffin hmm

I relented and put it back where I found it and told her to have another look round her bedroom before I would (she'd already looked twice before I found it) and she spotted it within 10 mins.

She didn't know why she'd put it there and went to stow it safely rolled up in the towel she's taking swimming tomorrow confused How is that any better than the desk DD??

I felt really guilty FWIW when she was asking whether I'd found it, I'd make a crap secret agent in real life grin

NorksAreMessy Sat 09-Jul-11 22:12:53

Please can I send your DD one of those magical contraptions they have invented.

I think it is called a PURSE.

The dozy object! This is forever happening here. We have a rule "you lost it, you spent it", but mine our teenagers

NorksAreMessy Sat 09-Jul-11 22:13:30

...and mostly it gets found again, sometimes, joyfully, six months later

AgentZigzag Sat 09-Jul-11 22:23:01

DH didn't believe it when she said she didn't have a purse so he went and had a look and no, not one.

They've been sucked into the space in her room that contains the elusive dark matter as well as 47 of the 79 socks she's lost.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now