Talk

Advanced search

anyone know where I could buy a daybed for a baby/child??

(17 Posts)
working2gally Sat 09-Jul-11 19:42:24

My dc (7mths) needs to nap during the day, he tends to fall asleep on me when feeding then I try and transfer him to the cot upstairs.
Problem is he sometimes wakes when I'm transfering him or shortly after.
I'd like for him to be able to nap downstairs but can't find a suitable day bed for him. Of course I could just get another cot but would prefer something that looks a bit nicer that could perhaps be a child's sofa as he gets older. It would need a rail though at the moment to stop him falling out!
Do such things exist?? thanks for any helpful suggestions.

RandomMess Sat 09-Jul-11 19:43:56

Ikea

NonnoMum Sat 09-Jul-11 19:44:55

at our nursery, they have these little pull out day beds for naps. V v near to floor so can't really roll out. Have tried to find them myself but I think you might need to find an educational catalogue or ask at a nursery.

NestaFiesta Sat 09-Jul-11 19:45:20

We used a travel cot downstairs when he got too big for a Moses Basket.

working2gally Sat 09-Jul-11 19:49:00

Thanks - will look at Ikea. Have tried with a travel cot but find he wakes up perhaps as uncomfy with thin mattress and he might associate with playing too much as use a playpen - also not sure he likes being so close to ground. Was just hoping I might be able to buy an item of furniture for him to nap on - a bit like an extra sofa but smaller with rail.

Wheeelybug Sat 09-Jul-11 19:51:25

Yes to Ikea, there are bars you can buy that might fit on the end of some of them.

Or if you're rolling in it you could buy this smile

Personally I'd get a travel cot/play pen

Panzee Sat 09-Jul-11 19:53:41

I used a big cushion like a dog bed. Not far to roll if he did. Now he's older we use it to lie on and read.

Wheeelybug Sat 09-Jul-11 19:54:29

this

and

a couple of these

RandomMess Sat 09-Jul-11 19:55:42

tbh I would just wake him and stop him from feeding asleep and them carry him upstairs and get him used to going down awake for his nap.

When I did this with my dc it took lots of pick up put down to get them to lay relaxed in their cot and drift off to sleep but it meant that I used to get loads done in their nap times as they were upstairs and immune to the hoovering and music etc grin

Wheeelybug Sat 09-Jul-11 19:56:45

Or maybe this one

You could just push the open side up against the wall of course..

RandomMess Sat 09-Jul-11 19:56:49

feeding to sleep, I'm sure it's more a case of he's used to being cuddled and fed to sleep and then he becomes aware of not being held anymore and not having some boob to help him drift back off.

giantfrillypigpants Sat 09-Jul-11 19:56:50

Bean bag?

ll31 Sat 09-Jul-11 19:57:36

rocker chair

VeronicaCake Sat 09-Jul-11 20:05:49

Feeding to sleep is great (I miss it very much) but it was around 8/9m DD decided that naps can only occur in her cot in her room with the blinds closed. So I'd be a bit worried about spending money on furniture that might not get used much.

DialsMavis Sat 09-Jul-11 20:07:37

I agree with the stopping feeding him to sleep so he can have nice long cot naps, or just cuddle him and watch crap T.V while he naps

RandomMess Sat 09-Jul-11 20:07:39

Have to say once my youngest was weaned she dropped her bf very quickly indeed down to morning and eve feed only by 9 months!!! She was in such a rush to be grown up I think.

working2gally Sat 09-Jul-11 21:25:54

thank you for suggestions! I know feeding to sleep aint really that good but I don't really mind it. He also sleeps a lot in the car and if I want him to sleep in the afternoon I take him for walks in his pushchair fully reclined and he falls asleep pretty quickly if he is tired.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now