Talk

Advanced search

to feel terrible

(19 Posts)
ikoto Sat 09-Jul-11 17:35:01

My brothers got back from being at uni and I was talking to him about it. He went on to say that I was the biggest thing that he missed from home and that he thinks about me all the time. He then showed me a picture display that he'd made of pictures of me and him.
I feel really bad though because although I do love him, I don't think about him all the time. Maybe I'm being silly about it but I feel really terrible about it, AIBU.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Sat 09-Jul-11 17:43:23

It's because absence makes the heart grow fonder. You're still around in the old familiar places and he's moved away... he's missing home, family and all the things that he knows.

AgentZigzag Sat 09-Jul-11 19:26:00

You are being silly, y'big dafty smile

How lovely he thinks so much of you.

It doesn't matter you don't think the same amount of times about him.

Is he older or younger than you? <<places substantial bet on younger>>

LineRunner Sat 09-Jul-11 19:27:21

He's been away, you haven't. Of course he misses you.

I missed my younger brother terribly went I went to uni. I don't think he was that bothered!

ikoto Sat 09-Jul-11 19:35:32

He is younger

joric Sat 09-Jul-11 20:59:24

He's homesick and you're not because you are at home. Poor DB - just let him know you love him.

TidyDancer Sat 09-Jul-11 21:54:00

Oh he sounds so sweet! LyingWitch is right, you don't feel the same loss because you still have the familiarity of home. When he misses you, he doesn't have the comforts of being around other people he is close to.

Just spend some time with him and let him know you love him. It will mean so much to him and will make you feel better too!

superjobeespecs Sat 09-Jul-11 22:04:42

aw he sounds so sweet smile lucky you im sure my wee brother has forgotten i exist hmm grin

shudaville Sat 09-Jul-11 22:33:29

YABU, he's being a mushy idiot. Peoples lives take them away from where they grow up and you've accepted that he's moved away to further and better himself and you've accepted that so are happy to see him progress whilst he seems to want to live in the past and his picture thing shows that.

leares Sat 09-Jul-11 22:51:50

Excuse me whilst I <boak>

He's playing you like a fiddle, making his sister think he misses her whilst meanwhile patying the nights away in various clubs in the city/town that he goes to uni in.

inappa Sat 09-Jul-11 23:16:47

YANBU tell him to grow a pair, your lives are diverging as is natural. He is follwing his path and you are following yours, why he has mentioned this I don't know other than to make you feel guilty.

AgentZigzag Sat 09-Jul-11 23:20:58

A cynical, but probably more realistic view there leares grin

inappa Sat 09-Jul-11 23:25:41

He's playing the OP

joric Sun 10-Jul-11 09:10:07

Leares - how do you know he's out clubbing and having a great time? Are you there with him??

GothAnneGeddes Sun 10-Jul-11 09:49:55

Some nasty cynical people on here. Why would he be playing you? What purpose would that serve? And yes, some people can go out and have fun and still miss people. Oh, and they can tell someone they love them without having some sinister reason behind it.

<boggles emoticon>

oila Sun 10-Jul-11 09:56:12

YABU, I bet he doesn't he's probably trying to get you to give him some money to tide him over through the summer holidays before he gets his next loan/grant.

AxlRose Sun 10-Jul-11 09:56:31

Oh bless him!

I really can't imagine anyone going to the effort of making a photograph display just to 'play' someone. I'd say he's obviously missed you and maybe realised how important his family are to him. Sweet! smile

aeder Sun 10-Jul-11 10:04:35

There is some very strange opinions here, I think he clearly loves the OP and misses her. I don't see how some people have extrapolated that he's trying to manipulate the OP into giving him money

herecomesthsun Sun 10-Jul-11 11:22:15

I think it is great he cares so much about you. If you have a family already (as being a mumsnetter you may have) and being older and having got on more with your life it is very reasonable that you do not feel quite the same way. If he is younger and you have been nurturing it might be a slightly lopsided relationship at the moment. That is okay and it will be a relationship that matures as you both develop. Some sibs don't get on at all and it is fantastic that you clearly love each other. I wouldn't bother wasting your time feeling quilty though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now