Talk

Advanced search

Ear Piercing - What age is ok?

(168 Posts)
WannabeNigella Sat 09-Jul-11 12:31:41

My friend is letting her DD have her ears pierced for her 5th birthday. I know it is none of my business but I wanted to plead with her not to.

My DD is just 3 and there is no way she will be having ears pierced till at least 12 or 13 the way I feel about it at the moment, preferably 16!

AIBU? What is an acceptable age? I just think that it looks so chavvy when they are young and it's so unnecessary too.

LineRunner Sat 09-Jul-11 12:34:08

Given that's it perfectly legal to pierce a baby's ears, it becomes a personal issue.

Personally, I would say coming up for secondary school age, with the child's consent.

But then again I'm a right old git.

sparkle12mar08 Sat 09-Jul-11 12:34:34

12 or 13 here too. They're old enough to look after them and do the cleaning etc, and it marks that passage into young womanhood that the teenage years represent.

zukiecat Sat 09-Jul-11 12:37:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsVictorUbogu Sat 09-Jul-11 12:39:11

As early as possible so the child can grow up with them, and learning how to look after earrings/piercings becomes second nature.

clayre Sat 09-Jul-11 12:40:07

My dd got hers done a few weeks ago shes 8.5, she wanted them done, didnt cry when it was done and has been cleaning them twice a day herself, tbh ive wanted to get them done for years but she never wanted to get it done until a few months ago and we waited to get it done to give her time to change her mind!

TidyDancer Sat 09-Jul-11 12:40:33

Secondary school entrance is the absolute youngest age I would find acceptable. Ideally teenage though, which is what I will be telling my DCs.

It looks tacky on young children, and I cringe when I see it on babies.

SeenButNotHeard Sat 09-Jul-11 12:41:30

MrsVictorUbogu had to laugh when I saw your name - My miss spent youth in Bath is coming back to me grin

MadYoungCatLady Sat 09-Jul-11 12:42:05

I had mine done for my fifth birthday. I'm glad I had it done young as I probably would have freaked out at a later age!

WannabeNigella Sat 09-Jul-11 12:42:21

Clayre can I ask why you've wanted together them done for years?

FabbyChic Sat 09-Jul-11 12:42:59

I think an acceptable age is 12 when they decide to get them done when they are old enough to look after them themselves.

Five is actual bodily harm so far as I am concerned.

WannabeNigella Sat 09-Jul-11 12:43:49

* to get.

Sorry

DilysPrice Sat 09-Jul-11 12:46:18

Struggling with this - DD is nearly 9 and has taken to pointing out "Look, that girl's got her ears pierced and she's much younger than me". Always in earshot of the mother, so I can't say "yes, but that's because she's a ghastly chav, darling". No, don't flame me, I wouldn't really say that under any circumstances, but any reason you do give in the mother's hearing always runs the risk of being interpreted as code for that. If I give my real reason, which is that pierced ears can get icky and I want her to wait until she's responsible enough to take care of them properly then that sounds like code for "yes, but that's because her mother is an irresponsible parent who doesn't care about her daughter's health".
You can't win.

I'll probably give in some time between now and the beginning of secondary school - 11th birthday perhaps.

allhailtheaubergine Sat 09-Jul-11 12:49:00

worraliberty Sat 09-Jul-11 12:54:07

The summer hols before they start secondary school.

I think it should be illegal to put holes in babies because the parents thinks it makes them look 'pretty' and sends out the wrong message imo.

brighthair Sat 09-Jul-11 12:54:47

I wasnt allowed them done until I was 16. I had them done at 15 and 11 months grin

MadYoungCatLady Sat 09-Jul-11 12:54:55

Oh Fabby - I'd hate to think what you would consider circumcision if piercing someones ears at a young age is ABH!

Is it what the child wants? 5 seems old enough for a procedure that doesn't hurt and takes a small amount of care to keep clean.

Then again, is DS was going on about it at 5, I doubt I would agree!

clayre Sat 09-Jul-11 12:55:48

I dunno, dd has golden hair and little gold earrings would have looked sooo cute next to her hair, and now she has it done they are lovely but i couldnt have have got it done, i wouldnt have been able to make her suffer just to look pretty!

thursday Sat 09-Jul-11 12:55:57

10+ is my thinking atm, i think i got mine done at 10 or 11. she's only 1 though, if i still think she's too young at 10 i'll bump it up to 12. i cant understand piercing a babies ears, i'm looking at her picturing some earrings in her and its horrific.

all4u Sat 09-Jul-11 12:56:13

My Mum and I had our ears pierced together when I was 16. My DD is 13 and her part Spanish best friend had hers done as a baby but DD is in no rush. I have said 16 like me but that would be negotiable down to say 14 if she made a good case. Always I like mine to make their case as it is such a good exercise and rewards the mature approach. It is a bit of a class thing too though - and DH is a teacher and says teachers notice and inevitably make assumptions. Sporty girls seem less interested for practical reasons but once a teenager has become obsessed it is tricky... Suggest talking it through with them when aged 10 and they will grow into teenagerhood with a down on it more often than not... Best not to wait until they get to High school perhaps. confused

MadYoungCatLady Sat 09-Jul-11 13:01:57

Can I ask OP if the child in question is from Indian heritage or similar?

TheSmallClanger Sat 09-Jul-11 13:05:43

Between 10 and 12, if the girl wants it. I said this in another thread in S&B - I think it is nice to have something to look forward to when you have reached the age of Big Girl.

clayre Sat 09-Jul-11 13:05:54

By the time i was 12 i had 2 sets of piercings my mum took me both times to get it done, i really dont see what the fuss is about!

catgirl1976 Sat 09-Jul-11 13:06:19

Oh god it is soo tacky on young children. Makes me boak. Personal choice of course. But then so is wearing or not wearing those giant, gold clown necklaces. <shudders>

TimeWasting Sat 09-Jul-11 13:09:12

10 at the youngest. They aren't responsible enough before then to take care of them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now