Talk

Advanced search

More birthday present etiquette

(10 Posts)
Dancergirl Fri 08-Jul-11 22:44:33

Following on the from the other post about the mum saying they already had one (which I thought was very rude btw)....what do you do with presents your child gets but doesn't like/already has? Is it ok to keep them to give to someone else another time?

I always insist on good manners from my children - say thank you graciously and write thank you letters if necessary. But sometimes they get things they're not keen on so I suggest to them that x or y might like that. I feel slightly awkward doing this though.

skybluepearl Fri 08-Jul-11 23:15:44

i always text/email/phone/write to thank the giver.

rare unwanted/identical gifts go in pressie cupboard. i think of it as recycling.

HelloKlitty Fri 08-Jul-11 23:20:07

I put them away until I need a pressie for another child. I alys buy kids craft sets...even a duplicate can be use for parts!

wigglesrock Fri 08-Jul-11 23:38:13

HelloKlitty I buy Barbies for the same reason grin

debivamp Fri 08-Jul-11 23:41:27

We recycle everything in our house, including some pressies. Best presents that DS got for her 6th birthday was cash. She managed to get £60; strangely all the money presents came from boys. She loved it - she bought an Irish dancing wig with the money. I had told her that i would not buy one for her, but it was her money soo.......

Clary Sat 09-Jul-11 00:26:29

Yes I regift too.

Please make sure it's not to the same person tho! And in fact I try to avoid anyone they would know well IYSWIM. Best idea is to pass it down a child (eg DD's duplicates go to DS2's friends - well it sometimes works! grin)

muminthemiddle Sat 09-Jul-11 00:27:58

pml at that debivampxxxxx

debivamp Sat 09-Jul-11 00:35:14

you should see her dance in the wig - she actually looks good - but only with the dress etc on. normal clothes - she looks very strange - still love her though and am proud mum when she wins trophies and medals....

cat64 Sat 09-Jul-11 00:51:09

Message withdrawn

iscream Sat 09-Jul-11 01:08:04

I have always donated them after a period of time has passed. But I see nothing wrong with re gifting as long as the original giver never ever finds out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now