Talk

Advanced search

to stay at work late so i don't have to do bedtime for once

(21 Posts)
driedapricots Fri 08-Jul-11 18:54:07

i do bedtime every single night...even when DH is home from work in time to help because DD wont let him do anything for her and on a friday DH gets home early so I stay at work and leave him to it (cos they're fine if i'm not there of course!)- I have absolutely nothing to do here at work, am just whiling away hours on MN, Twitter & FB...and have just had a pang of guilt. I'm being ridiculous right??!

redrollers Fri 08-Jul-11 18:55:15

nah, yanbu
I'd do it more often if I were you!

moominmarvellous Fri 08-Jul-11 18:56:28

YANBU! I'm currently a sahm and have often wished myself back to work so I could 'work late' and get out of the odd bath/bed time!

Make the most of it I reckon smile

mrsbiscuits Fri 08-Jul-11 18:56:58

YANBU I would if I could but I always finish earlier than DH

OddBoots Fri 08-Jul-11 18:57:12

Don't feel guilt, you're helping their bond and ensuring that if you need to go away for any reason your dd will be happy enough. That and the fact you are entitled to a break sometimes!

LoveMyGirls Fri 08-Jul-11 19:00:25

Enjoy it, too many mothers give in to guilt when they have time to themselves while dc's are with their dads. You are a person with needs too.

LineRunner Fri 08-Jul-11 19:02:45

You do have a small bottle of wine in the bottom right hand drawer of your desk, right?

And a small jar of olives.

Lovely. Now carry on MNetting.

driedapricots Fri 08-Jul-11 19:04:15

thank you ladies..wobble over. my only wish is that i could use this time to sleep ... i think there's a gap in the market for rooms by the hour for mums desperate for some shut eye ;-)

IgnoringTheChildren Fri 08-Jul-11 19:05:00

YANBU! I'm fortunate that my DH has always normally done bedtime with DS1, however I'm really looking forward to when I return to work so that I can "work late" to get out of dinner tea evening meal time as it's soooooo long and messy!

Right, better get on with bedtime for DS2. Unfortunately he finds it too distracting when I try to MN while feeding him...

LineRunner Fri 08-Jul-11 19:06:03

When is the coast is clear? Can you go home and have a lovely early night?

driedapricots Fri 08-Jul-11 19:11:30

8pm..i usually get a 'the eagle has landed' text ;-) and then i can go home (work v locally) i think that's why i feel a bit guilty, it's like i'm hiding out from my own children! then of course i get home, wake up a bit, don't go to bed until later, baby wakes for a feed and another opportunity is lost. oh for more than 4 hours sleep in one go...but that's another thread

LineRunner Fri 08-Jul-11 19:15:35

I think you need to do something else with the time on a Friday eve than sit at work waiting for the Eagle Text. (Unless you're on the clock and need the hours?)

I am mad like going the cinema on my own, for example, if I can.

Dozer Fri 08-Jul-11 19:16:37

I don't understand why people say their dc "won't let" their dh put them to bed or do stuff for them. He's the father! The kids shouldn't get to decide! Surely the answer is to get dh to do stuff more often, even when you're there, so dd gets used to it. Ridiculous to have to work late on a friday rather than relax at home.

Dozer Fri 08-Jul-11 19:17:43

Don't feel guilty, everyone needs bit of time to self.

NotJoiningIn Fri 08-Jul-11 19:20:43

YANBU. My DH has worked late three times this week and has gone to the pub tonight (which he knows I am pissed off about). Next week I return to work and he is looking after DD for 2 weeks until the summer holidays. Shall I do the same?!

driedapricots Fri 08-Jul-11 19:32:06

linerunner i know, i sound like a right saddo - i do usually go to the gym or something ..i'm just too knackered today after a sleepless night - hey, cinema isn't a bad idea as i would definitely fall asleep there!!
Dozer agree., it is ridiculous... the thing is he does stuff all the time with her but because he can't be there often at bedtimes it's the one area where we do have issues and you know what a strong minded 3 yr old can be like when they're tired. it's battles and wars at this stage!
Notjoiningin yes, but you probably won't because you're a responsible mother, men on the other hand....

ledkr Fri 08-Jul-11 19:38:30

I think this is hilarious,my dh does bedtime everytime he isnt working a late shit,its his first and my 5th i think ive earned it grin Bedtime is so repetitive especially when you are tired.

OddBoots Fri 08-Jul-11 19:44:02

Does he have bowel problems ledkr? wink (sorry, couldn't resist)

Dozer Fri 08-Jul-11 19:51:36

But OP, if you don't put your foot down the three year old will just carry on dictating that only mummy puts her to bed. Mine would be the same, but she knows (after some battles) she doesn't get to decide.

ledkr Sat 09-Jul-11 09:24:38

haha very funny,yes a late shit is alaways the decider as to whether he does bedtime odd!!!

startail Sat 09-Jul-11 09:32:21

YANBU I went swimming one evening a week for years for just this reason.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now