Talk

Advanced search

To think that my authority as a parent should be respected?

(11 Posts)
BumWiper Fri 08-Jul-11 17:25:52

DC1 came in earlier as I was putting dinner on the table asking could she go watch a friend at football.I said no,your dinner is on the table.She got a bit stroppy but went to tell friend.Friends Dad then says to DC that she can just have her dinner when she comes back.

AIBU to think that I said no and this should be respected?Or am I being an eejit.
BTW dinnertime is our family time and is somewhat sacred in our house.

MorticiaAddams Fri 08-Jul-11 17:29:30

YANBU and the friend's Dad is bloody rude.

TheFlyingOnion Fri 08-Jul-11 17:30:49

YANBU

Rhinestone Fri 08-Jul-11 18:19:05

He sounds like a low-class oik. I bet he buys plastic toys and eats Fruitshoots.

valiumredhead Fri 08-Jul-11 18:23:24

Cheeky git!

LineRunner Fri 08-Jul-11 18:27:55

To be frank, it sounds like dinner time may be sacred family time to you, but it isn't sacred family time to your DC.

Is she of an age when friends are becoming more exciting than family time?

It happens.

You might need to compromise with her - ok, sometimes she can miss a normal dinner time, but only with proper notice. Something like that. Depending on her age etc.

catgirl1976 Fri 08-Jul-11 18:32:54

YANBU and the dad is very rude and an idiot.

LynetteScavo Fri 08-Jul-11 18:35:43

YANBU...for all the dad knew you could have been making a polite excuse.

I don't think it would matter if your DD was 18, if you are putting dinner on the table it would have to be something pretty damn important to think they can eat later.

lisianthus Fri 08-Jul-11 18:39:55

YANBU. What did you do? I hope you stuck to your guns with a firm "I said NO".

The rudeness of the man!

PenguinPatter Fri 08-Jul-11 18:45:15

I had this recently with a friend's DH - except he told he to ignore telling her to wait because younger DCs were holding me up and run off with his DD so I couldn't see her - she is still very young.

I was fuming. Made sure DD understood she was not allowed to run off. Tried talking to other parents but it never goes in. Next day their DD ran across the road repeatedly encouraged my DCs to do the same which this man thought was funny.

Made sure DD know what I say goes and while other DC have different rules - but she knows what is expect of her.

PenguinPatter Fri 08-Jul-11 18:46:06

told her to wait blush.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now