Talk

Advanced search

to refuse to be induced at night?

(22 Posts)
BeautifulBlondePineapple Fri 08-Jul-11 16:41:13

I am 40+ weeks pregnant with DC3 and due to be induced next week. The policy at my hospital is to bring you in at 8pm, put you in regular ward (i.e. not a labour suite), give you a pessary (after examinations, monitoring etc) and then another pessary at 10am the next day.

However. with DC1 and DC2 I started having contractions soon after the first pessary. DH was sent home at 9pm (hospital policy) and they would not send for him until I was in active labour and had been admitted to the labour suite. Each time I ended up in early labour on my own for over 4 hours and it was a fairly isolating and unpleasant experience.

I tried to request a morning induction this time, but I've been told that "they don't do this". Do I have any rights to question this decision? I really don't want to end up alone and in labour again. I also feel that I would have more energy if I haven't been up for over 12 hours before I get started off.

So...AIBU to refuse to be induced at night? Could I go in at night as planned and then refuse to take the pessary until the morning? Or would they just send me home again?

Glitterknickaz Fri 08-Jul-11 16:42:42

Is there any good reason for the induction other than being post dates?
They can't make you do anything.....

BeautifulBlondePineapple Fri 08-Jul-11 16:48:20

I'd rather go naturally, but my blood pressure is steadily going up and they don't want to leave me past 7 days this time. (DC1 & 2 both induced at +10 days and blood pressure was sky high by then).

MigGril Fri 08-Jul-11 16:48:37

You can refuse induction, they can't make you have one. I went 40 +12 with DD and 40+14 with DS. DD I went in to labour on my own, DS all they did was break my waters as was already 4cm just not in active labour.

Good luck.

ShoutyHamster Fri 08-Jul-11 17:06:17

Of course you can refuse. Outline your reasons and be polite but firm. Sorry, but 'policy' their end does not trump good solid reasons your end.

I'd tell them that given the history you will not agree to being induced in the evening, especially as given it's your third you could be even quicker. They can then decide whether their 'policy' is more important to them than having you induced, which will be a good indicator of how seriously they are taking the blood pressure rise. Don't be bullied - 'we don't do that' is fobbing you off, and isn't listening to your quite reasonable preferences here. Don't let them imply that YOU are making things riskier, either - no, THEY are - by putting a policy above your peace of mind and happiness, and your right (within reason) to have a supported labour with maximum possible peace of mind.

ilovemydogandMrObama Fri 08-Jul-11 17:14:16

The pessary didn't work for me, so ended up being in labor at night. It can have advantages. For instance, if you wanted to have a walk around to get things started, there's hardly anyone there (other than the security guard). If like me, you deliver early in the morning, means you get to the ward before breakfast, the Paediatricians do their rounds and since its your 3rd, they may let you go that morning/afternoon.

happy2bhomely Fri 08-Jul-11 17:30:05

Just ask them if it is 'essential' for you to be induced. If they say yes, tell them that after much consideration you are making an informed choice to only receive the pessary they are offering at 10am.

I was 40+5 and went to antenatal for a trace just for peace of mind. All was fine but I was told to send for my bags as they were keeping me in to induce. I politely said no thank you. I will be going home tonight and if labour hasn't started I will return at 8am. They tried scare tactics and I explained that I didn't need the lecture, I was very well informed and I expected my wishes to be respected. The doctor performed a sweep before I left and I went into labour that night.

Stand your ground. Of course pay attention to medical advice but do not allow them to bully you just to fit in with what is convenient for them.

Good luck!

DogsBestFriend Fri 08-Jul-11 17:46:20

"If like me, you deliver early in the morning, means you get to the ward before breakfast, the Paediatricians do their rounds and since its your 3rd, they may let you go that morning/afternoon." confused

Let you go that morning/afternoon? They don't have a choice if the OP wants to go that same day. I left a few hours after having my first child. (They'd done enough to try to kill me and put me in excruciating agony, I wasn't hanging around!).

Similarly they can't insist that you're induced BBP, at night-time or otherwise. If you don't want to be induced at night tell them so very firmly and keep telling them until they get the message. It's not about "we don't do that", that's a ridiculous answer, it's about what you do and what you want.

itsybitsy08 Fri 08-Jul-11 17:59:29

blonde - this happened to me with my first child. I was induced at night and DP had to leave at 8pm. I was in a room on my own. I went into labour quite quickly and when my waters broke at around midnight I hobbled along to the nurses station and asked for some pain relief. No one examined me and I was given 2 paracetemol and told to go back to my room.
I was in agony but did not really know what was happening, so I did as I was told.
At 8am in the morning, a midwife came to get me and take me to the delivery suite. She was cross that I hadnt packed my bag up (i was in so much pain I couldnt) and made me walk to the delivery room and again seemed cross that I couldnt go very fast. I had to clamber up onto bed myself with no help.
She examined me and in a very suprised tone said 'oh you are 8cm'
DD was delivered at 10 to 10 and DP only arrived at about 8.30/45ish.
I have never felt so alone and scared.

I am pregnant again and terrified that I will have to be induced and be left to labour alone in the dark.

Happy2bhomely - I will take your advice 'I will be going home tonight and if labour hasn't started I will return in morning'. I didnt even think of that, I was just in a panic thinking about it! Thankyou smile

MrsBonkers Fri 08-Jul-11 18:09:41

How about only agreeing only if your DH can stay with you and not be sent home?

happy2bhomely Fri 08-Jul-11 18:17:18

Sometimes hospital staff have a very bad attitude. I arrived on labour ward and told them I needed the gas and air, I was struggling. I got told "let's see if you're even in labour first shall we dear, try not to make a fuss" with a raised eyebrow. I knelt on the floor during a contraction before getting on the bed. She shouted at me to get off the floor! I turned and 'growled' at her "I'm having a baby". I got on the bed and she examined and found me to be 10cm. She was a bitch but she delivered my baby safely, so I forgive her I suppose!

LineRunner Fri 08-Jul-11 18:23:08

I'm with you OP. I was 'pessaried' with DS (35 weeks - pre-eclampsia) at 8pm and in full throes of labour by midnight.

I called the midwife who went from sullen disbelief to panic in about 2 minutes.

I had been promised 'a team of paediatricians' standing by when I went into labour as my baby would obviously be premature - but because it was the middle of the night I got ONE midwife.

When I went into a hypertensive crisis - bloody alarms going off - a sleepy junior doctor appeared and tried to inject me with a drug I am allergic to.

I won't go on...

I have a lovely son, by the way!

InFlames Fri 08-Jul-11 20:23:57

Given your history can you not request that the induction is all conducted on labour ward rather than antenatal? I have preexisting diabetes and was induced for my DS, at 38 weeks, because of high risk was started and stayd on labour ward and DH could stay whole time- he didn't cos we were still there 38 hours later before emlcs .... But seems a reasonable request?

mooloo Fri 08-Jul-11 20:29:23

You are obviously entitled to refuse but ime of induction they cannot start you at an exact time as it is all dependant on how many women are already labouring in the delivery suite etc. I was due to have the first pessary at 10am but they did not start me until 10pm due to the number of patients delivering throughout the day. I had to be induced that day due to a lack of fluid around my dd but i certainly wasnt priority enough that I could choose the time.

PumpkinBones Fri 08-Jul-11 20:30:02

YANBU. Even without your previous history, I would refuse any type of induction which involved DH being sent home. I have heard so many horror stories about labour progressing after partners being sent home, and DH doesn't drive. We are very lucky to have a dedicated maternity hospital in our area though, and they seem to be less strict on that than units within larger generals.

Just tell them you won't be doing it. They can't make you, and I think you are being completely reasonable.

PumpkinBones Fri 08-Jul-11 20:31:42

It's not the time itself though mooloo it's the fact that OP's DH will be sent home if it starts at night...

lukewarmmama Fri 08-Jul-11 20:33:11

YANBU

Check out the NICE guidelines on induction - I believe they have changed in the last couple of years to advise the first pessary in the morning. Armed with those, I'm sure a reasonably put request wouldn't be refused!

I was induced at 8pm. DH left at 10pm and half an hour I was in labour. All night on the antenatal ward by myself, with no pain relief. I wouldn't repeat that in a hurry.

Of course, you could still be in that situation if you get induced in the morning, but it gives you a chance anyway.

Andrewofgg Fri 08-Jul-11 20:34:36

From a man all you want to hear is BLOODY GOOD LUCK AND ALL THE BEST

skybluepearl Fri 08-Jul-11 20:35:24

tell them you will only accept the 10am pessarie and explain why. don't budge.

skybluepearl Fri 08-Jul-11 20:36:12

good luck by the way - although i'm sure you don't need it.

lachesis Fri 08-Jul-11 20:39:15

YANBU. Stick to your guns.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 08-Jul-11 20:40:47

YANBU, but plenty of ladies go into labour in the evening after having been up all day. At least with a planned induction you can plan to take it easy/rest during the day.

Their staffing may be such that it works best for them to start inductions at that time in the evening (that was the time I was induced with ds1) but that doesn't mean that any other time is impossible.

Is it possible to book a private room? That way your DH would be able to stay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now