Talk

Advanced search

to think a stranger should not enter a porch/bootroom uninvited

(51 Posts)
whats4teamum Fri 08-Jul-11 16:21:31

when there is a fully functioning doorbell outside. A stranger opened a shut but unlocked door into my bootroom and proceeded to hammer on back door. I feel that a porch is part of someone's home and if you don't know them you are not at liberty to step inside without invitation. You wouldn't step into someone's hall to shout up the stairs or into a conservatory to knock on door so why would you enter my bootroom.

razzlebathbone Fri 08-Jul-11 16:23:21

What's a bootroom?

worraliberty Fri 08-Jul-11 16:23:31

YANBU but a lot of porches don't have doorbells and you have to open the door to get to the inside door to knock/ring.

itisnearlysummer Fri 08-Jul-11 16:23:54

Was it raining? I wouldn't do it (unless it was raining) but if the door is unlocked it might seem like a bit of an invitation.

MsTeak Fri 08-Jul-11 16:36:29

perhaps he was a peasant who didn't understand boot-room ettiquette? You just can't attract the standard of pleb these days.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 08-Jul-11 16:39:38

You're going to a comment about butlers next. Might as well be me smile Where was the butler when this scallywag of a ruffian was invading your bootroom?

usualsuspect Fri 08-Jul-11 16:42:45

I would have no clue about bootroom ettiquette
Should one wait for the butler to open it?

MoonGirl1981 Fri 08-Jul-11 16:45:21

Boot room jokes aside, I agree with you.

I have a porch with a doorbell on the outside wall and people open it and knock on the inside door.

It is rude.

sausagerollmodel Fri 08-Jul-11 16:45:54

Never heard of a bootroom, but a porch is designed for sheltering from the rain in, while you wait for somebody to answer the door.
If a bootroom was full of boots, I suppose you'd keep it locked so the boots wouldn't get nicked?
If a porch/bootroom was unlocked and it was raining I would go in and knock on the door. In fact I would do this in any weather, I assume they would lock it if they didn't wand you to go in?

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 08-Jul-11 16:47:04

They probably thought you wouldn't hear them if they knocked on the porch door....

whats4teamum Fri 08-Jul-11 16:48:45

Ok it's an old house and room in question was described on details as boot room. We leave muddy boots in it so seems appropriate. Does not come with coach house, tack room or other poncery though.

Would you open a door that has a door bell on it to enter a small room to proceed to hammer on a door? Is porch part of a property?

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 08-Jul-11 16:51:48

It's obviously bothering you so put a sign on the door saying 'please ring bell' or something and then it won't happen again. Job done.

sausagerollmodel Fri 08-Jul-11 16:54:29

Yes, I would enter a porch without any qualms if was unlocked. I wouldnt think anyone was rude if they did this. Porches are for visitors to wait in while you answer the door so less private than the rest of the house I suppose.
I never trust doorbells because very often they don't work, banging ion the door or using the knocker is more effective!

whats4teamum Fri 08-Jul-11 16:55:51

Fair enough i'll go lock it.

motherinferior Fri 08-Jul-11 16:58:29

Of course I would. And frequently do.

Bloodymary Fri 08-Jul-11 18:20:28

Two of you have asked what a bootroom is.
Are you serious???

catgirl1976 Fri 08-Jul-11 18:23:09

Do not understand the obession with bootroom on this thread. However, moving on - YANBU - its part of your home and they shouldn't enter. If it was open and it was raining fair enough, but if it was shut waaaay out of order!

Nobdie Fri 08-Jul-11 18:25:38

yanbu there was no need for them to open the door as the bell was on the outside. Rude!

LRDTheFeministNutcase Fri 08-Jul-11 19:23:21

Are you sure your bell isn't broken? Maybe he'd rung it already.

FreudianSlipper Fri 08-Jul-11 19:25:22

bootroom

do you live in a ski lodge. maybe your bell is broken

RightUpMyRue Fri 08-Jul-11 19:28:46

"invading your bootroom"

<snigger>

ZZZenAgain Fri 08-Jul-11 19:31:18

would depend for me on what category of stranger this is. Is it a neighbour you have not met or is it someone trying to sell something, campaigning etc? I wouldn't find it odd behaviour from a neighbour. Perhaps that person finds knocking on the inner door less aggressive than ringing a doorbell IYSWIM. Lock it in future perhaps

whats4teamum Fri 08-Jul-11 20:15:49

Actually someone selling something. Not a great sales technique.

Whats more RightUpMyRue he came round the back to invade my boot room.
smile
This is not even my front door which he had walked past.
Bell works, he rang it and you can hear it from outside the house.

ZZZenAgain Fri 08-Jul-11 20:16:58

trying to sell something, no I wouldn't like that

JarethTheGoblinKing Fri 08-Jul-11 20:18:23

rofl at this thread grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now