Talk

Advanced search

to have put ds1 in bed?

(40 Posts)
altinkum Fri 08-Jul-11 15:47:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kreecherlivesupstairs Fri 08-Jul-11 15:49:21

Not at all. I know that children are tired at the moment, but spitting? That is rank.
Is he usually like this? Could he be hungry, I know my DD is unpleasant when her blood sugar gets too low.

VelveteenRabbit Fri 08-Jul-11 15:49:41

itisnearlysummer Fri 08-Jul-11 15:49:54

No, not OTT at all.

He won't do it again (fingers crossed!)

valiumredhead Fri 08-Jul-11 15:51:19

Nope YANBU at all!

altinkum Fri 08-Jul-11 15:53:46

LineRunner Fri 08-Jul-11 15:54:24

He's having a tantrum, and it's grim, I know.

When he calms down he can help you tidy up, have a drink and a plain sandwich or toast, and sit and read in his room and then go to bed.

You need to explain when he can listen to you properly that yes, this IS a punishment - that you love him but you don't like that behaviour, and he musn't do it again.

Hope you're ok. It's not nice when it happens.

valiumredhead Fri 08-Jul-11 15:57:46

I'd have stern words and also something along the lines of 'Spitting is disgusting and I will not tolerate it - if you do it again you will be grounded ( or whatever suitable punishment you can think of)'

levantine Fri 08-Jul-11 15:59:28

Not at all OTT imo. My four year old spits sometimes by the way if that makes you feel any better but we come down on him like a TONNE of bricks. It's not on

Hope everything calms down soon.

thisisyesterday Fri 08-Jul-11 16:02:14

spitting is totally out of order, i agree, but if he needs something to eat due to blood sugar (my ds1 is similar) then why not take a snack? i think if he needs a couple of sweets then it was silly to take them away tbh. ds1 kicks off big time sometimes coming out of school... a snack sorts it out, so i kind of feel like maybe you could avoided it by handing him a snack, letting him calm down and THEN dealing with the bag hitting.
that or taken the bag away.

that doesn't detract from the fact that he most certainly should not have spat at you regardless of what happened, and i'd come down hard on that,

not entirely sure about sending him to bed... but if it works for you!

Wait until he calms down and have a chat, then let him clean up the mess he's made.

I'd also ask him if he's seen this behaviour anywhere else, it might be something he's seen or done in school so maybe worth having a chat with school ?

altinkum Fri 08-Jul-11 16:07:36

thisisyesterday Fri 08-Jul-11 16:09:33

so does he still get to go out if he has been sent to bed?

valiumredhead Fri 08-Jul-11 16:15:40

So will he not have anything to eat at all until meal tonight at 6.15?

squeakytoy Fri 08-Jul-11 16:17:23

I know its not a popular view, but if my child spat at me, they would have a slapped backside and would think long and hard before ever doing it again.

Spitting is vile, absolutely vile.

valiumredhead Fri 08-Jul-11 16:21:20

squeaky actually I did smack my ds's behind when he spat at me and he promptly did it again, so I smacked him again.........he spat again......

Doesn't always work, so I had to come up with suitable punishments that did work. No telly worked very well iirc grin

LoveBeingAbleToNamechange Fri 08-Jul-11 16:23:53

My three year old blows raspberries at me when she has finished shouty what are meant to be words, it's as though she's swearing but I am worried it will become spitting at some point. Agree you have done the right thing, maybe look at how to get his blood sugar more regulated.

LoveBeingAbleToNamechange Fri 08-Jul-11 16:25:48

Squeaky but he is out of control it won't register. I was smacked as a child and I would hope I never get to that point of losing it. It has effected me.

mummymeister Fri 08-Jul-11 16:26:01

Its popular with me squeaky toy! spitting is up there with biting imo. why do they call it the terrible two's when kids continue to have tantrams and they can be just as bad only the kids are bigger so it seems worse. if he throws stuff around calmly make him pick it up. ask him in a couple of days time what it was all about - no good trying to reason with him at the moment. do you have to go out this evening? might send the wrong message i.e. that you have forgiven and forgotten.

worraliberty Fri 08-Jul-11 16:26:11

I was just thinking the same thing...if my kids spat at me or threw their things downstairs once they'd been sent to their room, I would have smacked their backsides too.

I don't understand why the child has been put in his PJ's and sent to bed if he's going to be going out for dinner with his GPs?

valiumredhead Fri 08-Jul-11 16:30:05

LoveBeingAbleToNamechange I would nip it in the bud NOW before she has a chance to try out swearing. When she does it I would say "Speak to me nicely or you will go on the step/time out/ won't watch TV. Apologise now!"

altinkum Fri 08-Jul-11 16:35:23

thisisyesterday Fri 08-Jul-11 16:37:55

"might send the wrong message i.e. that you have forgiven and forgotten."

yeah god forbid we teach our children forgiveness hmm

i would take EVERYONE out for the meal. he has had a punishment, he has said sorry, he has cleared up the mess he made and you have both talked to him

do you really need to take away his meal out as well?

valiumredhead Fri 08-Jul-11 16:38:40

OP - did you see my question about the food earlier?

VelveteenRabbit Fri 08-Jul-11 16:39:24

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now