Talk

Advanced search

to find it ironic that the Guardian apparently knew that Andy Coulson would arrested this morning if they are opposed to paying the police for information ....

(26 Posts)
babybarrister Fri 08-Jul-11 13:26:56

I mean, how did they know hmm grin ....

RoundOrangeHead Fri 08-Jul-11 13:28:13

It was all over the news last night

don't think it was a leak

donnie Fri 08-Jul-11 13:29:49

yes you are. There is nothing ironic about it at all - I hear it last night on the BBC.

LesserOfTwoWeevils Fri 08-Jul-11 13:30:12

Even if it was a leak, that doesn't necessarily mean they paid for it.

RoundOrangeHead Fri 08-Jul-11 13:33:10

do they normally say 'oh, we are going to arrest RoundOrangeHead in the morning'?

I'd be off

LineRunner Fri 08-Jul-11 13:36:09

It's not uncommon for the police to make appointments for people to be arrested.

It's not all dawn raids and sirens.

happygilmore Fri 08-Jul-11 13:36:19

The guardian don't pay anyone for stories, never mind the police. To be honest, even if they wanted to, I don't think they have the money!

People can leak stories without getting paid for it you know.

Quenelle Fri 08-Jul-11 13:39:50

Do you mean suspicious?

I imagine AC's lawyer arranged with the police for him to go in for questioning this morning and he probably made a statement to the press.

smallwhitecat Fri 08-Jul-11 13:44:28

Message withdrawn

RoundOrangeHead Fri 08-Jul-11 13:45:19

can you only be a spin doctor if you're initials are AC?

got a bit confused there

babybarrister Fri 08-Jul-11 13:46:24

AC did not give statement beforehand and BBC reported it this morning as the info having come from the Guardian. I certainly accept that it may just have been a leak rather than paid for - I just thought it was a little ironic that's all, after all, if I am called in by the police this pm the rest of MN would presumably not know about it in advance ...

babybarrister Fri 08-Jul-11 13:48:53

certainly agree re half of fleet street being arrested ....! as I said on other thread I know as a fact that various law firms and broadsheets were buying bank statements and utility bills in the late 1990s ....[taps nose knowingly ...].

smallwhitecat Fri 08-Jul-11 13:49:15

Message withdrawn

catgirl1976 Fri 08-Jul-11 13:50:58

I was arrested once (complete mis-understanding of course)

The nice police man rang me at home, we made a mutual appointment for me to come in a be arrested a couple of days later. Then they apologised and let me go again.

So you can know a fair while in advance.

smallwhitecat Fri 08-Jul-11 13:51:49

Message withdrawn

babybarrister Fri 08-Jul-11 13:51:50

cannot speak directly for Guardian journos, but have on v good authority the same re the Observer.... grin

babybarrister Fri 08-Jul-11 13:53:18

well as far as I know the info did not come from AC or his advisers - if it did then obviously my post is total bull and there is nothing at all ironic about it ...

babybarrister Fri 08-Jul-11 13:54:03

do you think this might be deleted by MNHQ given the close links to the Guardian?!

Blu Fri 08-Jul-11 13:55:33

Well, since her was 'arrested by appointment' he probably sent out a Press release in advance!

LineRunner Fri 08-Jul-11 13:57:33

Exactly catgirl, and in the meantime either you, or your solicitor, or your publicist, or your mam, or anyone else in your circle, could release that information wittingly or unwittingly.

Tchootnika Fri 08-Jul-11 13:58:04

I don't think you've hit on anything that's going to endanger the Guardian, babybarrister.
AC arrest seemed fairly inevitable since yesterday afternoon (modest estimate), and was fairly widely reported on web last night.

LineRunner Fri 08-Jul-11 13:59:04

babybarrister I doubt whether MNHQ or the Guardian could give a shit about the thread. It's not really that interesting.

babybarrister Fri 08-Jul-11 14:00:03

I entirely understand AC knew in advance, I was just under impression that it was not him or his "team" that leaked it to Guardian - clearly if it was his team, this thread is bollocks!

jeee Fri 08-Jul-11 14:00:23

You cannot bribe, or hope to twist
Thank God, the British journalist.

But seeing what the man will do
unbribed, there's no occasion to.

Humbert Wolfe (1885 - 1940)

Tchootnika Fri 08-Jul-11 14:01:42

With the greatest respect, babybarrister, may I submit that you may be a little closer to the mark ("complete bollocks").

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now