Talk

Advanced search

to think it's daft being automatically given a receipt for a sandwich?

(10 Posts)
MarySueFTW Fri 08-Jul-11 12:39:47

Or most of my shopping really. I know it's unreasonable for me to be annoyed, because I could just say 'no thanks, I don't need it' but they don't usually ask, and sometimes call you back for your receipt and then I act grateful! Like I'm going to need to prove I bought that booze instant coffee and toilet roll. Yes some people claim things back for tax, but even when I do that, I use my bank statements because I've paid by card. Yes you need a receipt for things you might want to return, but that's not a muffin generally. Anyway, AIBU to wish shops would just say 'Do you need this receipt?' instead of just handing me it?

HelloKlitty Fri 08-Jul-11 12:42:22

I always say "Ooh would you mind popping it into the bin please?" and grin...unless of course it's clothing or an expensive item. They always say they wll bin it. They're told to give them over...I mean you might find a bug in your sandwich and want to return it!

squeakytoy Fri 08-Jul-11 12:43:58

It covers you to prove you havent stolen it, and it covers the cashier to prove they took your money and put it through the till. So yes, YABU.

StrandedHouseElf Fri 08-Jul-11 12:44:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Aworryingtrend Fri 08-Jul-11 12:45:35

Don't you keep your receipts to find out what you are spending each month?

itisnearlysummer Fri 08-Jul-11 12:47:10

YABU. Receipts are for you to check your expenditure, and for proof of purchase either to return an item and prove you bought it from that shop, to prove you haven't stolen it and to prove that the cashier hasn't pocketed the money.

That's what receipts are for.

MarySueFTW Fri 08-Jul-11 12:52:32

Aworryingtrend, no I pay with my card most of the time, and also I know where my money goes, not far enough.

As for proof of purchase it's obvous I haven't stolen the sandwich they have just prepared for me and put in their branded bag with a branded napkin.. there may be rings of cashiers giving out free sandwiches to their mates (That did happen when I worked in McDonalds as a teen in fact) but they could still ask me if I needed it, rather than assume/call me back because I 'forgot' it/make me say 'oh thanks!'

It makes sense staff are told to give them, but I'd rather they were told to ask if I wanted it. I just think the shops don't want to dispose of all the unwanted receipts if they started asking.

thursday Fri 08-Jul-11 12:55:51

YANBparticularlyU as i dont think most people require receipts for every £1.50 they spend here and there. my co-op always asks if you'd like one, and i always say no thanks. its not a big deal though, i dont mind chucking it in the bin myself if they hand it over automatically.

AMumInScotland Fri 08-Jul-11 13:20:04

Can't you just pop it into the branded bag beside the branded napkin and throw the whole lot in the bin when you've finished? It doesn't add much to the (already huge) amount of waste involved surely?

MarySueFTW Fri 08-Jul-11 13:24:18

Well I do. And it's not the end of the world, obviously... or I could say I don't need it thanks. But I can't. I say 'oh thanks.' I wonder what is the smallest amount you can spend in some shops and still get a receipt? 2p? Is anything 2p anymore?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now