Talk

Advanced search

To listen to this and sob because DS2 is going to high school

(23 Posts)
RunAwayWife Thu 07-Jul-11 13:54:47

Someone please come slap me grin

slipping through my fingers

BrigitBigKnickers Thu 07-Jul-11 14:04:58

Aww- Our year 6s sang a version of this last year at the end of their leaver's concert.

Not a dry eye in the house.

thumbwitch Thu 07-Jul-11 14:50:49

Awww, you dozy wotsit! Here, have a very unMNly ((hug)) and a solid thump on the shoulder - bless you! grin

MarknadNutidaPlats Thu 07-Jul-11 15:01:22

grin

hackingandhewing Thu 07-Jul-11 15:11:51

DD (PFB) is off to high school and I have been contemplating listening to this just to torture myself a bit more. Thanks for the link!!!!!

hackingandhewing Thu 07-Jul-11 15:17:04

So, 4 minutes of blubbing completed. Feel much better now (not) grin

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 07-Jul-11 15:25:13

Made it to 41 seconds then had to turn it off before I howled. waaaaaaahhhh.
<needs a slap too>

Sheilathegreat Thu 07-Jul-11 15:32:30

Oh please no no no. Not the song. I actually didn't know it until some evil MNer posted a link to it on a thread on a similar theme. I clicked on the link, listened and have never heard anything so devastating!
My DCs are 3 and 4 months and I still can not bear the sentiment of this song! It is good though for giving me a kick up the arse and making me spend proper time with the DCs- they don't know what's hit them after I've listened to it. Craft, cooking, duck feeding, story-telling they are exhausted by the end grin

HeidiKat Thu 07-Jul-11 16:08:34

At least I'm not the only one, I howled at that song the last time I saw mamma mia the movie. My DD is only 6 months old, DH was completely baffled.

angelpantser Thu 07-Jul-11 16:14:47

When my DD1 left her primary school one of the other mums put together a montage of photos of her and her friends from Reception to Year 6 with a soundtrack of Green Day's "When September Ends". The line "Seven years has gone so fast" gets me every time. DD found me blubbing, draped across the ironing board a couple of weeks ago when they played on Radio 2. She left primary school 6 years ago.

Dolcegusto Thu 07-Jul-11 16:24:25

My dds call this 'the song that makes mummy cry' and delight on playing it over and over again while demanding tears!

RunAwayWife Thu 07-Jul-11 16:27:23

glad I am not alone.... I am dreading the levers assembly

changeforthebetter Thu 07-Jul-11 16:27:50

This was on the radio as I pulled into work the other day and I blubbed, then had to compose myself before going in blush I actually sat in the car till it finished hmm............... DDs are 3 & 6 so not exactly heading out the door just yet either <<despairs at self>>

Chummybud1 Thu 07-Jul-11 16:32:22

I listen to this and howl to, my oldest is moving 360 miles away to uni, my son is moving up to high school, my youngest is off to nursery. Boohooo

rollerskateskinny Thu 07-Jul-11 16:36:55

Oh get a grip!

We want them to grow up don't we?

I couldn't believe everyone crying when ds left primary confused

flicktheswitch Thu 07-Jul-11 16:44:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 07-Jul-11 17:29:53

well rollerskateskinny, it is better than the alternative grin

RunAwayWife Thu 07-Jul-11 21:17:08

Yes I want them to grow up.....Just a bit slower grin DS1 is now 15 and 5 feet 10

theminky Thu 07-Jul-11 23:08:24

I have this song on my iPod and it makes me absolutely howl - I have sons and no daughters but it's just the sentiment of the years passing etc. Am welling up as I type <poor sad woman!>

RipMacWinkle Thu 07-Jul-11 23:13:32

Oh ffs! Sitting here weeping.

YANBU.

DS starts primary in August, I can barely think about it without welling up. I never used to be like this, do they give you some drug in the maternity ward or something???

<slaps self>

youarekidding Thu 07-Jul-11 23:19:22

YANBU and I'm sobbing now too. DS is only 6yo and due to start juniors in Septemeber. He will have just turned 7.

RunAwayWife Fri 08-Jul-11 08:06:46

I too only have boys, but I totally get that song.
It all went so fast and it keeps getting faster.

cory Fri 08-Jul-11 08:15:40

I'm not convinced they are slipping through my fingers; I think this new grown-up relationship I have with my teen/nearly-teen is great and just as close as anything we had when they were little. I know they will move from home one day, but we can still be close in different ways and there is more of a person there to be close to iyswim.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now