Talk

Advanced search

to wonder exactly what this woman meant by saying this?

(10 Posts)
Bogeyface Thu 07-Jul-11 09:46:25

A young woman with a daughter at the DCs school has just had her 5th baby by her boyfriend. She is in her very early twenties and he is 10 years older.

This is his 14th child, the others being from atleast 2 other women and possibly more. A woman that I vaguely know, the mother of DSs classmate was gossiping about it this morning asking did I know about it etc? As it happens I did because the young woman concerned takes the younger ones to the same playgroup we went to and she has talked about her DCs half siblings. The fact that they are both happy that he doesnt see or support them is another thread entirely....

The mother at school was positively gleeful at this gossip and then said "14 children! He has got around a bit, still he is Mediterranean, what can you expect?"

Are Mediterranean men particularly fertile then or are they well known for fathering lots of children they later refuse to support? Or is she being, as I suspect, racist?!

Geepers Thu 07-Jul-11 09:47:34

Who cares?

fernier Thu 07-Jul-11 09:47:59

I think she sounds like she was just making a joke to hide her discomfort at the many many children he has.

BornInAfrica Thu 07-Jul-11 09:48:51

Mediterranean is not a race so she can't possibly be accused of racism. Dull and stupid would be a much more likely assessment of her condition.

Pagwatch Thu 07-Jul-11 09:51:54

I expect she just opened her mouth and stuff fell out.
Is it ponder worthy?

Hammy02 Thu 07-Jul-11 09:54:19

I don't understand the mediterranean comment. Regardless of where he is from, unless he can support all of his children without any handouts, it is disgusting of him to behave like that.

Bogeyface Thu 07-Jul-11 09:56:04

It was just one of those comments that leaves you with a "WTF?!"

And i agree, it is disgusting of him to behave like that wherever he was born.

mx5hairdresser Fri 08-Jul-11 23:26:05

presumably she was just referring to the fact that southern europeans tend to be far more liberal with attitudes to sex and that many are catholics so would not use condoms?

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 09-Jul-11 07:37:54

YABU... 'Mediterranean' = 'swarthy latin lover'. Don't you read Mills & Boon? wink

hairfullofsnakes Sat 09-Jul-11 07:49:33

Really mx5hairdresser? That's complete bollocks, total and utter rubbish! To have fourteen children of which most he doesn't see has nothing to do with him being Mediterranean and everything to do with him being an irresponsible twat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now