Talk

Advanced search

to expect people to get their kids to school on time and NOT block my car in!!!! grrrr

(181 Posts)
Blurry29 Thu 07-Jul-11 09:09:32

mini rant..............

My DS's school starts at 0830

Gates open at 0830

I park behind the school everyday, away from all yellow lines. The same parents at least 3 times a week park right up behind my car ( on the yellow lines) because they are running late AGAIN....

Honestly it's the same families (about 3 or 4) that just can't seem to get their kids to school on time, panic then throw their car behind mine just as I am getting back into it!!! which means I am waiting about for a further 5 to 10 minutes before I can move my bloody car!!!! I have to wait for them to sign in LATE at reception etc etc etc before they can come back

don't get me wrong I know people may be busy in the morning but for goodness sake...set ur alarms earlier people!!!!!

Grrrrrr Thursday rant over...... smile

Reality Thu 07-Jul-11 09:10:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

altinkum Thu 07-Jul-11 09:13:42

hugeleyoutnumbered Thu 07-Jul-11 09:13:45

to be fair not evryone lives close enough to walk, it is anoying when people block you in

Blurry29 Thu 07-Jul-11 09:13:55

I often do in the warmer weather and depending on work commitments...school is about 1.5/2 miles away from home which is a fair little trek. Unfortunetley I need to use the car if I have to be in work for 0900 (ish) I travel alot for work and wouldn't have the time spare to get back to the house etc etc

I would love to walk him everyday but it just isn't possible smile

Animation Thu 07-Jul-11 09:14:46

Are they just dropping off ?

altinkum Thu 07-Jul-11 09:15:10

Blurry29 Thu 07-Jul-11 09:16:11

school gates open at 0830 to give parents a chance to talk to teacher/reception etc etc

Kids line up at 0840 to go into class....

How can people be rushed!!! surely they just need better time management ( just my opinion)

They are not the only ones that may have to get other children to bursery/childminders etc but its the same people that are late and blcok my car!!! like I said I park in a designated parking space...they DON'T smile

squeakytoy Thu 07-Jul-11 09:17:12

Park a bit further away and walk some of the journey smile

Blurry29 Thu 07-Jul-11 09:17:57

Altinkum...

I never said I was more important but if I can get up and get ready for work then get DS son ready for school etc etc

A family running late once a week is understandable, we all sleep in every now and again...

But 3 or 4 times a week...there is no excuse.....

GrownUpNow Thu 07-Jul-11 09:19:28

It's a PITA if you need you car for work, I would think maybe park further out and walk, as it will only add a few minutes on your time, and will save those ten minutes you are losing when you are boxed in.

activate Thu 07-Jul-11 09:21:01

so if it happens regularly adjust your parking so that you know you can get out even if someone is right up your arse

don't get it

are you a crap driver? I can get my huge car out of a tiny little space, why can't you?

Well done you for being so organised <pats OP on the back> wink

altinkum Thu 07-Jul-11 09:22:33

GiddyPickle Thu 07-Jul-11 09:22:36

No - if they're parking on double yellows then they are in the wrong. And being late / having childcare drop-offs isn't a good reason to park illegally last time I looked. If it was just an unfortunate, overcrowded parking area or similar then fair enough but blocking you in by parking on yellow lines is out of order. And if they're late, they're late. 2 more minutes spent parking properly isn't going to make any difference if they're already so late that they have to sign in.

Is there no where else you could park to avoid them doing it though?
I suspect if it becomes a regular thing then residents will complain too and if you are in a city or town, traffic wardens will soon sort it out. Packs of them loiter outside our school and anyone with so much as half a tyre on a yellow line gets pounced on with a ticket quicker immediately.

BimboNo5 Thu 07-Jul-11 09:23:26

Im struggling to see why people are trying to turn this on the OP and imply somehow she is at fault here?
Whether you drive to school is irrelevant, blocking people in is bad manners and inconsiderate as is parking on yellow lines because you are running late. YANBU

activate Thu 07-Jul-11 09:23:59

call your council and ask them to get parking guards out so they get moved on / ticketed for parking illegaly

Blurry29 Thu 07-Jul-11 09:24:29

I can completely see where you are coming from GrownUpNow, I would love to park further away and walk a little etc I just get frustrated that A) the same people are causing their DC to be late for school too many times a week and B) they jsut seem to abandon their car in a panic causing a knock on effect on those that have parked correctly and on time smile

I just find it annoying that they do blaock me in because of poor time management, It's not just me that feels this way.

There is a gentleman that often parks near me...

3 DC in the car and always on time......I know that he has been blocked in causing him to be late for further commitments in the past...

SixtyFootDoll Thu 07-Jul-11 09:24:38

Park somewhere so you won't get blocked in?

Reality Thu 07-Jul-11 09:25:08

altinkum Thu 07-Jul-11 09:25:27

BimboNo5 Thu 07-Jul-11 09:26:02

Altinkum wtf is the matter with you? Why are the taking the OP as some kind of personal slight? confused

BionicEmu Thu 07-Jul-11 09:27:48

Playing devil's advocate, surely it's possible that these people who are blocking you in are constantly thinking about you "That woman's always here on time, yet she takes up a space! I can't get here early enough to park anywhere else, so I need that space, yet this woman could park further away. Grr, doesn't she realise that some people just can't get here any earlier?"

BimboNo5 Thu 07-Jul-11 09:27:49

But tbh it is easy to manage your time better, get up earlier, get things organised the day before etc. People in certain jobs have to have good time management skills so are able to easily apply it in other areas of life. And we've been late for school before who hasnt but I dont feel the need to inconvenience others because of this.

GiddyPickle Thu 07-Jul-11 09:27:52

activate - if you park in a space where there are yellow lines behind you assume that you will be able to reverse a couple of inches to turn the wheel and get out of the space. If someone parks illegally on those yellow lines right up to your bumper then you are trapped. I don't think any amount of good driving skills will enable somebody to move their car sideways, crab like out of a space that has been blocked in front and back.

OP - why not tell the school that problems you are having. Yellow lines are generally there for a good reason not just to piss people off who are running late and have nowhere to park. If they are being parked on then presumably they are blocking something or causing a hazard. Most schools sent out reminders in the newsletters about considerate parking (not that it does much good)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now