Talk

Advanced search

need help solving an argument

(50 Posts)
TheArmadillo Wed 06-Jul-11 21:02:57

Me and dh have a really uncomfortable bed. We've never particularly had a comfortable bed as we've always inherited them rather than bought.

We've been debating replacing it but obviously cost puts us off. However the argument centres around the fact it is a divan.

Dh reckons we could just replace the mattress to save money. However I was taught to believe that you cannot under any circumstances replace a mattress on a divan. It has to be the entire bed or nothing. I don't know why though - it was just one of the accepted facts of life like 'the grass is green', 'swans kill small children', 'you can't replace the mattress on a divan'

Dh points out that many of my family's accepted facts of life are just crazy and this almost definately falls into the crazy category.

So AIBU to say you can't replace the mattress on a divan?

ok. this is bonkers.

You can buy mattresses separately.

YANBU. Just crazy!!! Go buy a mattress. Go on. Just try it... try it.......

Happymm Wed 06-Jul-11 21:05:55

Yes you are grin

Of course you can change the mattress-you just lift it off and replace confused We did this and just bought the most fabulous mattress, which is the important bit. Cover the crappy divan with a valance grin

Euphemia Wed 06-Jul-11 21:05:58

YABU. I replaced the mattress recently and it's made a huge difference to comfort.

KatieScarlett2833 Wed 06-Jul-11 21:06:24

YABU you poor wee soul.....grin

WriterofDreams Wed 06-Jul-11 21:09:11

YABU and utterly bonkers.

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Wed 06-Jul-11 21:10:54

You're bonkers. grin

Lift off the mattress. Is the base in good condition? Nothing broken? Then the base is fine.

Buy a new mattress.

Hassled Wed 06-Jul-11 21:11:01

Grass isn't always green - ours looks more yellow at the moment. Not all swans kill small children - some go for dogs, I've heard.

You're so wring you might as well move to Wrongland. Get a new mattress.

mumatron Wed 06-Jul-11 21:14:55

Well obviously you can but I agree that you shouldn't. You just shouldn't.

I would just know that the mattress and base didn't match. and it would piss me off

Push the boat out, get a whole new bed!

Blatherskite Wed 06-Jul-11 21:17:49

You could always buy a new mattress and then if it's still not comfy, get a new base too.

Bumpinthenight Wed 06-Jul-11 21:29:09

Your new divan could last you 40 years; needing only 5 new mattresses and 4 bases!

squeakytoy Wed 06-Jul-11 21:31:48

Of course you can buy a new mattress separately confused

And considering most people spend a third of their lives in bed, a comfortable bed is a vitally important piece of equipment in your life.

LilBB Wed 06-Jul-11 21:32:48

Of course you can change the mattress. If you had a frame you would do it. You can't see that the divan and mattress don't match as they are covered in sheets. We got a new mattress last year after years of putting up with awful ones. It's a memory foam one and it's wonderful. If money's tight go to a local place rather than somewhere on a retail park. We found a warehouse place and got a good deal.

Nagoo Wed 06-Jul-11 21:35:49

We had a hideous bed. It was DH's. He couldn't see what was wrong with it. When we took the mattress off, it was completely broken on my side, so at night I had been required to levitate.

Look at your divan, then decide smile

pointythings Wed 06-Jul-11 21:36:35

Our mattress is coming to the end of its life, the divan base is fine, drawers in good working order so it will be mattress only. With the money saved from not buying a new divan, we can get a better mattress than we would otherwise be able to afford.

thisisyesterday Wed 06-Jul-11 21:42:04

yes yabu!

of couse you can replace just the matterss

why would you buy a whole new bed just because the mattress needed replacing??? confused

MovingAndScared Wed 06-Jul-11 21:46:53

YABU of course you can just by a mattress
BTW we bought the MOST FAB bed on ebay - it had only been slept in a few times - and had cost over a grand new

TheArmadillo Wed 06-Jul-11 21:48:51

ok I hear ya

dh is celebrating and saying 'I told you so'

I humbly admit defeat.

pointythings Wed 06-Jul-11 22:01:55

Well done, Armadillo, now go and get a fabulous mattress! envy

blackeyedsusan Wed 06-Jul-11 22:12:18

armadillo, just think what you could tell your children that they will think is absolutely true in years to come?

DeWe Wed 06-Jul-11 22:14:11

We just replaced the mattress. Great to have a sleep without springs digging into you!

PumpkinBones Wed 06-Jul-11 22:14:43

I grew up believing you can't drink water from the bathroom cold tap, is that also not true?!

pointythings Wed 06-Jul-11 22:18:15

Pumpkin - of course it isn't, that's the most delicious and healthiest water in the house.

LadyThumb Wed 06-Jul-11 22:19:47

It depends whether the base is sprung or rigid. If sprung, replace the whole bed. If rigid you can just replace the mattress. I know it won't match but for the cost of a whole new bed you could get a really decent mattress and keep the old base.

PumpkinBones Wed 06-Jul-11 22:20:07

shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now