Talk

Advanced search

In using my vouchers at a Prep School Nursery

(18 Posts)
tryingtobemarypoppins2 Wed 06-Jul-11 19:43:26

A parent said to me today "I do hope your planning on staying, so many people just come to spend their vouchers here"

AIBU to think A)she is bloody rude and B) parents should be able to choose anything that is right for their child?

OracleInaCoracle Wed 06-Jul-11 19:47:36

eh?

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Wed 06-Jul-11 19:57:43

The govenment vouchers for free nursery education.

flipthefrog Wed 06-Jul-11 19:59:22

so you won't be sending your child to prep school? confused

redskyatnight Wed 06-Jul-11 20:01:16

Well I'm not sure she's being rude, she wants you to be staying beyond nursery which says to me that she must like you (or your child).

I kind of get the point, I think a lot of people like to send their children to a nursery attached to a school so their children will make friends with other children going to the same school. If most people just use the nursery and then move to another school, this benefit is lost.

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Wed 06-Jul-11 20:06:16

It is a little odd where we live as there are no nursery schools attached to primary schools. We tend to have large day nurserys or nursery within Prep Schools.

I don't know if I will keep her at the Prep or attend the local Primary schools, both of which are really good.

To me though, I love the fact that they have super grounds and the little ones spend so much time in the woods etc. There are the free swimming lessons too. It just is a really nice start I think....even if it is for only 2 years.

FreudianSlipper Wed 06-Jul-11 20:09:06

can not really see what is so rude about the comment, though feel you need to tell mn that your child goes to a prep nursery and may go on to a prep school, thats wonderful grin

DogsBestFriend Wed 06-Jul-11 20:13:34

YANBU. Cheeky bitch!

I do hope that you told her that she can pay your child's independent school fees direct to the school and not bother with handing them to you first!

After all, if she's so interested in your child staying rather than just using the Pre-Prep for the duration of the voucher scheme she won't mind paying for it, will she?

What if you simply couldn't afford to carry on at that school after the nursery stage? Nasty woman!

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Wed 06-Jul-11 20:18:32

DogsBestFriend thank you! That is just how I felt. Her tone was very much "well you shoud only be here if your staying!"

FreudianSlipper - I don't understand. The point is we most likely wont be able to stay......but I thought as we could attend for nursery, why not.... puzzled my your comments???

bubblesincoffee Wed 06-Jul-11 20:27:22

I can understand why it would annoy people doing what you are doing if there is a waiting list for the nursery and people who do what to fully support the school by staying are unable to get a place.

But if the nursery is not at capacity and has no waiting list, then YANBU.

FreudianSlipper Wed 06-Jul-11 20:28:08

sorry read it wrong i was being an arse

still can not really see what the problem is, its a prep nursery you are going to come across attitudes like that

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Wed 06-Jul-11 20:38:50

It's actually really low on numbers! See....I am helping them out ;)

umf Wed 06-Jul-11 21:04:53

Was she trying to insinuate that you're not quite PLU? Very rude. And if true, potentially complimentary in a sideways sort of way.

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Wed 06-Jul-11 21:14:51

PLU??? Do reveal!

hurricanewyn Wed 06-Jul-11 21:18:22

People Like Us, I think

youarekidding Wed 06-Jul-11 21:28:07

There's PLU (love that!) parents everywhere. DS day nursery, so private but not independant school connected iyswim was no different.

And I was always non-PLU as a single parent - and wasn't I reminded of it daily occassionally. wink

Do what you want OP, what you can afford and whats best for your children.

Is there not a better private school in the area you could hint your planning to send your child too. wink

magicmelons Wed 06-Jul-11 21:32:19

Mixed feelings, tbh the fact that dds prep school nursery is so popular has probably kept the school running through difficult times. But i sort of see what she means in terms of keeping a group together, it's nice that kids come through from nursery together and sad when friends all leave, not the end of the world though so she probably was being a little rude.

umf Wed 06-Jul-11 21:48:23

youarekidding that's a great idea! Explain you have her down for, I dunno, [name a posh girls' boarding prep school].

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now