Talk

Advanced search

feels like theft

(8 Posts)
drivemecrazy63 Wed 06-Jul-11 18:46:09

aibu to expect that when my mother opened an account for each of my dcs when they were born that when my mother dies i would be given the books to continue saving money in the said accounts instead as my sister had legal rights to handle my mothers bank accounts ect she cancelled the accounts which were tax free and put the whole amount in her own currant account as if it was hers, it has caused a big row and for no reason she has said she did it to stop us using it i was shocked shes the one whos so bad with money and had no reason on gods earth to do this bad enough losing our mum but now shes cut me and the dcs off altogether i feel like shes stolen the money from them of course she says they can have it at 18 when mum intended but i fear she will have spent it all by then . i went with mum to open those accounts shes been nothing throughout my mothers illness, death, and she emptied the house before i even went round there and i live in the next road to herid looked after my mum on my own till i was 32 when i married she left home at 17 and she wouldnt let me have anything to do with mum near the end and now ive lost both of them...sorry rambling but feel so hurt

oohjarWhatsit Wed 06-Jul-11 18:51:12

sorry about your mum

i would be tempted to get legal advice

oohjarWhatsit Wed 06-Jul-11 18:52:18

did your mum leave a will mentioning the money

chinam Wed 06-Jul-11 18:54:10

I would also be looking for legal advise. By the time your dcs come of age their money could be long gone along with any proof you have that it was ever there in the first place. Sorry about your mum.

SeamanStaines Wed 06-Jul-11 18:54:41

Sorry for your loss.

Is your sister executor of your mothers will? Were there other executors?
I'm fairly certain your sister is not allowed to empty bank account into her own account. You need proper legal advice.

Glitterknickaz Wed 06-Jul-11 18:56:04

Definitely take legal advice.

SenoritaViva Wed 06-Jul-11 18:58:05

Agreed with other posters, this sounds terribly hard, it is awful how many families fall out when a parent dies. Can you start with the CAB to direct you as to where to seek advice and your rights? Have you got any 'evidence' that the bank accounts were intended for your DC?

Gooseberrybushes Wed 06-Jul-11 19:01:57

CAB - I'm sure that's not allowed. How shocking - what an unkind sister.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now