Talk

Advanced search

Or does this sound ok to you? (school intake)

(12 Posts)
StagnantRabbit Wed 06-Jul-11 16:31:28

My DS4 is due to start Reception in September. Just found out today that he does one short day (9-12) as his 'settling' period before launching into full time long days 9-320. The school has a huge intake and it seems they are staggering the new starters so that they get anywhere between one day and one week of settling before full days start. My son is quite shy and has been slow to settle at nursery in the past. It seems like a massive change, nursery to school, particular after a 6 week summer break, so I'm wondering is one short day enough or should I request longer? Or should I just toughen up and let him get on with it....

valiumredhead Wed 06-Jul-11 16:35:53

IIRC my ds had a week at least of short days before full time school, seems a bit full on imo.

Kewcumber Wed 06-Jul-11 16:37:52

we had a whole term of short days!

MorticiaAddams Wed 06-Jul-11 16:39:35

Mine both went straight into full time education and were fine. It seems very confusing for children of that age when some are going home at lunchtime and some aren't. How on earth can you explain it so they'll understand?

SenoritaViva Wed 06-Jul-11 16:39:50

Speak to your school and explain the situation that your son is particularly shy. There might be some parents who don't want a weeks worth of settling in (my DD wouldn't have needed it) and/or working parents who can't accommodate. The school may be able to take his needs into account. Also, reception isn't 'legal' (i.e. they don't have to be there) you could shorten his first few days if you thought it was necessary and explain to them why if they can't accommodate you.

cookiestar Wed 06-Jul-11 16:39:59

No you're NBU however you'll find there will be huge differences between each school. Our school has a 90 pupil intake and will have children starting in small groups until half term. Also all children will do from 9 until 2pm until half term which I'm sure some people particularly working parents will find tricky. If you're concerned speak to your child teacher, you may find he'll be just fine!

moogster1a Wed 06-Jul-11 16:40:31

we just went straight into full days when I started school. can't remember it being traumatic.

GwendolenHarleth Wed 06-Jul-11 16:41:48

I don't think that's enough settling in time and I would ask for more short days than that. In my experience even children who have been to full time nursery from a young age find it hard to suddenly go full time in a completely different school environment.

sssj72 Wed 06-Jul-11 16:43:05

Could you speak to the head at the school , let them know your concerns & ask if he could do a week of short days? I think most schools recognise the concerns of the parents & children when they are starting in reception so are quite approchable about this. When my DD started reception I started her full time straight away & she was fine (but tired!) but there were other children who did a week of short days.

justpaddling Wed 06-Jul-11 16:46:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StagnantRabbit Wed 06-Jul-11 16:51:06

Thanks I think I will contact the school in that case and see what they can do... Its bizarre that things are done so differently everywhere - we are within walking distance of 4 primary schools and they all have different ways of settling. Moogster you have a point... I dont remember any 'settling' issues myself...

valiumredhead Wed 06-Jul-11 17:08:12

Mine both went straight into full time education and were fine. It seems very confusing for children of that age when some are going home at lunchtime and some aren't. How on earth can you explain it so they'll understand?

Well, it's not rocket science is it? What about " When you are used to it/slightly older you will stay a full day too" grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now