Talk

Advanced search

to just want to say not all older single mums are desperate for a man like that plankton

(29 Posts)
anothermum92 Wed 06-Jul-11 12:48:41

Message withdrawn

rubyrubyruby Wed 06-Jul-11 12:54:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cjbartlett Wed 06-Jul-11 12:55:52

What plankton?

cuteboots Wed 06-Jul-11 12:56:07

unfortuntely alot of people are under the illusion that you cant be happy without a man. Im a single mum and have to say that yes at times it does geta bit lonely but Im in no hurry to have another man in my life! My little boy sees his dad so its all good here.

PeopleCallMeTricky Wed 06-Jul-11 12:56:12

I don't know what you're taliking about re plankton, but yes I do get very annoyed that people seem to assume that I'm on the lookout for a man. That's the last thing I want, I'm not fucking stupid. No out of the frying pan into the fire for me.

CurrySpice Wed 06-Jul-11 12:58:02

Oh yes, and the women who assume, when you're single, that you're after their man. Ermm...no thanks! hmm

LadyBeagleEyes Wed 06-Jul-11 12:58:56

Don't know who or what Plankton is but I agree with OP.
<happy single mother, who likes being on her own thank you very much>

MamBombadil Wed 06-Jul-11 13:00:40

Oh God it's soooo bad 'Bridget Jones' style isn't it? Who the hell is writing this shit?

Mind you. i'm not much of a blog lover....self indulgent snorefests 99% of the time - either that or promoting something (like most of the journo ones on MN)

DogsBestFriend Wed 06-Jul-11 13:01:59

What LadyBeagleEyes said.

I've been a lone parent for 15 years but never lonely and I have absolutely no desire to re-marry or have a serious relationship again.

PeopleCallMeTricky Wed 06-Jul-11 13:05:35

What is plankton then?

OpinionatedPlusSprogs Wed 06-Jul-11 13:07:18

I think she is being too picky. There are a lot of single men her age who couldn't pull a younger woman. You have to set your sights on people within your own league for looks intelligence etc.

OTheHugeManatee Wed 06-Jul-11 13:16:48

Which blog?

Which plankton?

confused

LolaRennt Wed 06-Jul-11 13:17:13

no idea what u people are on about

anothermum92 Wed 06-Jul-11 17:00:58

Message withdrawn

herecomesthsun Wed 06-Jul-11 17:09:10

My husband told me he loved me on my 40th birthday, life has never been so good. I had my son aged 44. They both tell me I am beautiful. I do not feel invisible!

perplexedpirate Wed 06-Jul-11 17:10:14

I think Plankton is really only interested in the Krabby Pattie recipe. I doubt he has designs on Mr Krabs.

Although thinking about it...

Snowdropbooks Wed 06-Jul-11 17:14:41

The blog is angry but quite well constructed, Plankton is a woman who still loves her husband, is divorced so I guess he left, she claims she wasn't an oil painting even when young, so is now finding it very hard in a competitive market where guys her age are looking across several age decades. She's very bitter, but can also write funny stuff, she needs our support ladies. Poor girl.

Adversecamber Wed 06-Jul-11 17:23:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FreudianSlipper Wed 06-Jul-11 17:30:12

i am single and very happy

have recently started dating a guy, sex is great we have a great time. i was very happy before its nice to have a little extra. now everyone is asking do you think you will move in and is he happy that you have a child.

wtf do i care he is happy that we have great sex and enjoy each others company like i am i do not need anything than what i have. companionship for me is when i am really old

FreudianSlipper Wed 06-Jul-11 17:31:19

i am 40 next year, no big deal to me, again seems a bigger deal for others

MatureUniStudent Wed 06-Jul-11 17:33:33

I thought Plankton had missed the point. That life is not about a man. Life is about so many other things and if Plankton had that outlook she might not feel quite so lonely. If I was a bloke, I'd run a mile from her assuming her to be clingy and difficult.

Sorry Plankton blogger, but not every middle aged single woman needs or wants a man. Furthermore not every middle aged single woman who is alone has been "abused by men, given up hope" or, and here you really lost me, sophisticated enough to be empowered by solitude?? A WTF moment crossed my brow at this point.

I do have tip. For some reason young Russians with no english language skills seem v attracted to me and I have received offers in our local library and two supermarkets. Try Russia. You could be lucky.

anothermum92 Wed 06-Jul-11 17:36:04

Message withdrawn

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Wed 06-Jul-11 17:44:44

well said! I nearly started a thread myself when I saw that article along the line of AIBU to thinking this is the most self-absorbed, self -pitying load of drivel i have ever read.

mrscynical Wed 06-Jul-11 17:45:20

Blimey, when I got divorced and found myself single at 43 (with two quite young children) I was out at least 3 times a week and had an absolute hoot. Guys asking me out, lots of dinner dates and some very raunchy sex - on my dining room table, in the public kiddie playground at midnight, couple of toyboys and actually had (at long last) orgasms! I had a far, far better time than when I was in my twenties.

I went out in my home town, knowing nobody, but with the intention of making new friends. I met other women and men in my situation and within a couple of months I had the biggest circle of mates I have ever known. If you stay in moaning and thinking it's your age then you are a twat. Get out there, smile, talk to other women (and men) and you will find that age really is no barrier. One man I met had a 70 year old divorced mother who had two chaps on the go and she was the life and soul of any party.

There are lots of older (and younger) guys around who will find you interesting if you make the effort - you just have to get out there and speak to people (and exuded that 'mysterious, experienced woman' aura.

Bandwithering Wed 06-Jul-11 17:54:08

I haven't read the article, but yeah, I'm single and not looking and I never think about men or relationships.

I think a lot of people do think that though, that you MUST be fading away with longing for a man. That you couldn't possibly be happy without one. And the worst type of woman of all, the one who thinks you're after hers! Lots of respectable mummies keep me at a polite distance I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now