Talk

Advanced search

To want to go swimming on my own in a non-lifeguarded pool

(30 Posts)
Oopsie Wed 06-Jul-11 12:09:56

I'm pregnant, in my second trimester. A friend has offered me use of his private pool. I'd like to use it this afternoon but DH is not happy about me going on my own, just in case I have an accident or something with no lifeguard there to save me. He'd prefer me only to go at weekends when he is available to supervise me.

AIBU?

itisnearlysummer Wed 06-Jul-11 12:11:54

I don't think either of you are BU. I can completely understand you wanting to do it, but equally understand him wanting to make sure that his wife and unborn baby are safe.

Not that that helps at all!

joric Wed 06-Jul-11 12:13:47

I am with your DH - sorry- if you are the only person in the house/ at the pool. If your friend is there that's different.

acatcalledbob Wed 06-Jul-11 12:15:41

I swim most mornings in a non-lifeguarded pool. Are you a good swimmer? Are you really going to swim lengths or is it more of a cool off and taking the weight off your feet / bump? Would your DH be OK if you just "wallowed" with your feet on the bottom? Is there a very deep end in the pool?

I don't think yabu but expectant dads can be over-protective.

GrimmaTheNome Wed 06-Jul-11 12:21:48

Are you allowed to be in your house by yourself? With stairs?

YANBU, provided you're a good swimmer and sensible.

ChaoticAngelinLimbo Wed 06-Jul-11 12:22:46

What Grimma said grin

AnnieLobeseder Wed 06-Jul-11 12:24:43

How confident are you in the water? How confident is your DH? If he's a less enthusiastic swimmer than you, I can see why he might be worried. However, if you have full confidence in your abilities, give him a gentle pat, tell him you appreciate his concern and go for a a swim.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Wed 06-Jul-11 12:26:31

I agree with Grimma too.

There is a risk in everything we do.

ZacharyQuack Wed 06-Jul-11 12:31:20

What does he think would happen to you?

Are you a competent swimmer? Is the pool deeper that you are tall? Are you prone to fainting or other health issues?

A pool all to myself sounds heavenly. Kiss your friend on the cheek and say "Yes please, kind friend"

ZacharyQuack Wed 06-Jul-11 12:32:26

Are you intending to drive to get to this pool? You're more likely to come to harm in the car than in the water.

Are there sharks in this pool?

lashingsofbingeinghere Wed 06-Jul-11 12:46:15

Aarf at Grimma.

Beware of diving in when pregnant. I once dived into the deep end of a pool when six months pregnant. I sort of barrelled down into the water and then popped straight to the surface like a jet-propelled buoy. Very weird sensation (baby didn't seem to notice btw grin).

Oopsie Wed 06-Jul-11 12:48:01

Thanks all. As acatcalledbob says, it's mainly just so that I can waddle about and take the weight off my feet and bump. I don't imagine I'll do much actual swimming.

DH is worried I could faint (which I have done once ever about 25 years ago) or hit my head and drown.

Oopsie Wed 06-Jul-11 12:48:56

Lashings, I definitely won't be diving. I hate diving at the best of times.

CurrySpice Wed 06-Jul-11 12:59:41

TBH I would laugh my head off if anyone told me I couldn't do anything without being "supervised" hmm

LolaRennt Wed 06-Jul-11 13:10:07

I don't think anyone should swim alone, pregnancy has nothing to do with it (although you may be more prone to actually fainting whilst pregnant I know several people who have). So yabu, not dh

Morloth Wed 06-Jul-11 13:11:13

Seriously? Do adults really not go swimming alone? Adults need supervision now? Really?

LolaRennt Wed 06-Jul-11 13:12:28

currybaby, the op's dh, has said he would prefer she not and that he isn't happy about something. Is your dh not even allowed to state a preference regarding your pregnacy?

CurrySpice Wed 06-Jul-11 13:16:30

Of course he is allowed to express a preference Lola. And I am allowed to laugh at it wink

Well he would be allowed to except we've been separated for 4 years and he'd probably preferred I drowned so he could collect on the insurance grin wink

GrimmaTheNome Wed 06-Jul-11 13:18:39

If you're just going for a waddle, can I recommend you get a 'noodle'? I first came across them in aquanatal classes and they're lovely. And make it even safer.

Or you could bob around in a lifejacket...

SpringHeeledJack Wed 06-Jul-11 13:18:57

arf curry

LolaRennt Wed 06-Jul-11 13:23:16

Well laughing at ex husbands is different, obviously. grin

We were on holiday when I found out I was pg for the first time, I had been waiting all week to get on this hammock that always seemed to be full of love birds, when the day I find out it comes free. I go to get in hammock and DH had a tantrum like I had never seen before, you can't get in a hammock! You'll fall out and misscarry, I tried gently explaining that it was 2 feet off the floor, but in the end my fear that dh would faint on the spot if I got in the hammock outweighed my actual urge to get in.

Sometimes I think the kind is thing is to make a few exceptions in your pregnancy, it must be really hard to be the non pregnant one. You have no control over the situation, but you still have the same desperate hope for a happy outcome. I'd hate it.

diddl Wed 06-Jul-11 13:23:25

So people who have pools never use them if they are the only one in the house?

Extraordinary!

OP-it´s up to you if you feel safe doing it.

Morloth Wed 06-Jul-11 13:26:17

I sometimes have a glass of wine, while having an evening swim. I like to live dangerously.

CurrySpice Wed 06-Jul-11 13:26:21

Well while you gently explain Lola, I would just laugh ;)

And do what I wanted anyway grin

CurrySpice Wed 06-Jul-11 13:27:26

Damn winky smiley damn thing angry

Where else in the whole fucking wide internet does typing ;) not give you a wink?!?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now