Talk

Advanced search

following on from dinner/tea thread, aibu to call it

(13 Posts)
charliejosh Wed 06-Jul-11 11:41:30

chips and egg? dp thinks I am strange and should say egg and chips but we have always called it chips and egg - he says its a 'scouser thing' (I am a scouser, he isn't)

Also, we say Lolly Ice, not Ice Lolly....

LindyHemming Wed 06-Jul-11 11:42:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

edwinbear Wed 06-Jul-11 11:44:15

It depends what you consider to be the main component of the dish I guess, arguably the chips are more important than the egg, but would you refer to bacon and egg as egg and bacon?

TrillianAstra Wed 06-Jul-11 11:45:29

YABU

egg and chips
fish and chips
sausage and chips
sausage and mash

carbs are secondary to meat/protein

Sarsaparilllla Wed 06-Jul-11 11:47:20

Lolly ice? nonsense hmm grin

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 06-Jul-11 11:47:49

YANBU to honour your heritage and maintain your cultural linguistic traditions as a Scouser. 'Standard English' is for the BBC only

notso Wed 06-Jul-11 11:47:55

Hmm lots of people round here say Lolly Ice and also Butty Jam, I thought it was a welsh thing.
As for the other thing I hate Eggs so it's just Chips for me!

edwinbear Wed 06-Jul-11 11:48:53

Ah but it's chips and beans, rather than beans and chips. In which case the protein, (beans) comes after the carbs.

charliejosh Wed 06-Jul-11 11:50:58

erm blush I do refer to it as egg & bacon

MamBombadil Wed 06-Jul-11 11:50:59

Dh and i even manage to argue about how 'chocolate cake' and 'extra strong mint' are pronounced - we have out emphasis in different places for both...

Paschaelina Wed 06-Jul-11 11:51:43

'Snot, its beans and chips. And both egg and bacon, and bacon and egg are allowed. Chips and egg sounds daft though.

I would eat a whole plate of mashed potato with nothing else quite happily.

belindarose Wed 06-Jul-11 11:53:27

DH is scouse, although the only indication of that is that he says bloody 'lolly ice'! I've trained toddler DD to say 'ice lolly', of course.

CurrySpice Wed 06-Jul-11 11:55:27

YANBU It's chips and egg. I'm not scouse. HTH

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: