Talk

Advanced search

I'm so mad

(17 Posts)
redrollers Wed 06-Jul-11 11:10:20

My stupid husband wasted £2495 in a charity auction last night.
A rugby jersey, a dinner and a Majorca holiday.
WTF was he thinking?
I'm so annoyed. I am committed to a holiday in august that I was pissing about using airmiles to buy flights for, and he pisses this money away on nothing.

itisnearlysummer Wed 06-Jul-11 11:11:39

Well it was for charity....

But I'd be pissed off too!

Birdsgottafly Wed 06-Jul-11 11:13:26

YANBU if it was joint money that he spent and you carn't afford it. Did you know that he was going to the charity night and discussed it first, or was he drunk and got carried away?

Is the charity one that is close to his heart?

MassagesDeclinedByNetmums Wed 06-Jul-11 11:17:22

]I'd be fuming. My DH is too charitable when we cant afford it (which I'm guessing you cant. Even if money isnt "tight" per se, £2500 is a lot!) angry

PrettyMeerkat Wed 06-Jul-11 11:20:55

I wouldn't use the phrase "wasted" because the money has gone to a deserving charity (being pedantic sorry).

Can see why you are upset! Are you well off?

TrillianAstra Wed 06-Jul-11 11:23:41

I wouldn't use the word "wasted" because
1- it went to charity
2 - you did get things in return

I know how easy it is to get caught up at auctions, especially if there is drink on offer. Maybe you should have (together) come up with a spending limit ahead of time.

Pelagia Wed 06-Jul-11 11:25:25

I would be fuming. Can you sell it on?

PhilipJFry Wed 06-Jul-11 11:31:26

Damn, that is a LOT of money shock. Two and a half thousand?!!

redrollers Wed 06-Jul-11 12:21:03

I was with him! he was doing it all on this iPad thing, i thought he was putting in a random low bid as a gesture, I never thought we would win, the bids were going really fast.
He had to move money from savings account, and there is very little left. He earns a lot of money but spends it all too. We just had a chat about saving and not wasting money.
It's his money I guess, and it us going to charity,

It's just his attitude to money that gets me. I look at £2,500 as the next 3 holidays, he sees it there, so feels he can spend it.

It is a charity close to his heart, so I can't complain

We could maybe sell the rugby jersey on, depends who wins the world cup!
Don't know much about the holiday, I think it's probably a very fancy house, but we're unlikely to be able to go this year, so hopefully they will let us save it until next year.

maras2 Wed 06-Jul-11 12:40:50

Who's rugby jersey is it ?

jeckadeck Wed 06-Jul-11 12:48:43

I mean.... I wouldn't say it was wasted, technically, but two and a half grand seems a lot of money, unless your DH is a hedge fund manager or something, which I'm assuming isn't the case. I'd be seriously pissed off... why couldn't he just have put in a couple of hundred?

unpa1dcar3r Wed 06-Jul-11 13:03:02

Hope it was a bloody good charity! I'd brain my husband, not that he'd do that. That's a years wages for me (carers allowance)!

Still at least you have a sweet generous soul for a husband with some sort of conscience, even if it is directed elsewhere!

Enjoy the holiday when you take it.

PhilipJFry Wed 06-Jul-11 13:49:49

Maybe you could create a separate account for some of your savings that only you have access to? I know it's a bit of an extreme suggestion, but like you said your savings are now nearly all gone. It might be good to have something you can squirrel some money away into if he spends so recklessly (on a holiday you might not even be able to go on!?). You've talked about saving money recently but it definitely hasn't sunk in for him.

redrollers Wed 06-Jul-11 18:53:39

If we had money sitting in the bank i might think it's ok.
I think I get worried because I'm not warning right now so it's all put of my control. Hopefully will get back to work soon and then I can have my own back up funds

PrettyMeerkat Thu 07-Jul-11 08:40:21

He sounds like he is bad with money in general, as you say that he earns a lot but spends ALL of it! The money in your savings account was probably burning a hole in his pocket. You will be able to save with someone like him.

Have you told him how pissed off you are about it?

TrillianAstra Thu 07-Jul-11 08:55:13

Maybe you need to look at your household income and divide it up more strongly.

House account for bills and child-related costs
Savings account that must not be touched unless you both agree (and this rule applies to both of you)
An account each to do as you please with

PrettyMeerkat Thu 07-Jul-11 09:05:11

I meant you will NEVER be able to save with someone like him!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now