Talk

Advanced search

To think that "hacking" makes those bastards sound more skilled than they actually were?

(9 Posts)
allosaurusrex Tue 05-Jul-11 23:08:10

Correct me if I'm wrong but the extent of the "hacking" was exploiting the fact that many people had not reset their voicemail pin from the default (making their voicemails accessible to anyone who'd spent 5 minutes reading a phone manual).

No skill involved, not even much guile. Just exploiting a weakness to see what dirt they could scrape out.

Tchootnika Tue 05-Jul-11 23:19:10

Really?

Nancy66 Tue 05-Jul-11 23:25:28

that's correct. very basic stuff

Tchootnika Tue 05-Jul-11 23:28:33

Gawd.
Hideous and pathetic. Doesn't really add to general utter, utter disgust, though. Very little could, really.

seasalt Tue 05-Jul-11 23:32:46

How do they get hold of the mobile numbers though?

GrimmaTheNome Tue 05-Jul-11 23:33:35

And even if people have bothered to reset the code, theres a lot of really common choices so there's a fair chance that if someone makes a dozen or so guesses they'll hit lucky.

AlpinePony Wed 06-Jul-11 07:04:28

YANBU.

They were some technological distance I fear from bringing down Mossad! wink

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 06-Jul-11 07:36:51

YABU.... 'Hacking' just means illegally gaining access to something that is password protected. If people want to think of hackers' criminal activities as somehow intelligent and admirable, I think that's their problem.

Sirzy Wed 06-Jul-11 07:41:02

Does it matter HOW they did it?doesn't take away from the fact they are sick for even considering it let alone actually doing it.

I just hope people vote with there feet and stop buying the paper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now