Talk

Advanced search

To think that the fact I dont like dogs is a good reason not to get one.

(37 Posts)
MarioandLuigi Tue 05-Jul-11 21:56:42

DH wants a dog, I dont.

Tonight he brought the subject up again and the conversation went a bit like this

DH -Why dont you want a dog?
Me - I dont like dogs
DH - thats not a real reason
Me - It is
DH - it isnt!

And on and on.

Just to add before anyone thinks I am being mean, DH works very long hours all week, which means it will be muggins doing all the walking and cleaning up after. I have pointed this out to him before but apparently thats just an excuse.

Tchootnika Tue 05-Jul-11 21:58:37

Sounds like a good reason not to get one...
(and as a dog lover, I wouldn't want to share a dog with someone who doesn't like dogs, btw).

Tchootnika Tue 05-Jul-11 22:00:17

...not even if said dog was cooked to a turn... grin

Happymm Tue 05-Jul-11 22:00:43

Yep, good enough for me grin

LittleMissFlustered Tue 05-Jul-11 22:02:44

Get him one of those kid dogs with a plastic lead and batteries. Job done.

feed Tue 05-Jul-11 22:02:49

Why don't you like dogs?

AgentZigzag Tue 05-Jul-11 22:03:15

I've been bitten by a few dogs (paper round injuries) once in the face, so not too keen on dogs.

But we got a puppy 6 years ago and she's bloody lovely smile

Worth the extra work, which doesn't seem extra because she's just part of the family.

pozzled Tue 05-Jul-11 22:03:36

YANBU. I feel pretty much the same about all pets.

AllGoodNamesGone Tue 05-Jul-11 22:04:13

You would be far more U to get one when you don't really want one.

I don't mind them but would never own one as I don't like them enough to be bothered with all the walking, poo picking etc etc etc

Tell him if he still wants one when he is retired and can do all the looking after, you can have the conversation again!

GwendolineMaryLacey Tue 05-Jul-11 22:04:57

Same here really. DH would love a dog, I would hate it. He thinks one day I am going to give in...

LaWeasel Tue 05-Jul-11 22:06:01

You would be mad to get a dog if you don't like them.

They are lovely but a lot of work and you won't want to do it on rainy miserable days if you don't like them.

I actually really would like a dog, but am refusing to consider getting one because I don't want to go for walks in the rain!

TheFeministsWife Tue 05-Jul-11 22:06:29

YANBU DH wants a dog, DSD wants a dog, the dds say they want a dog (even though they shit themselves whenever a dog comes near them hmm). I say no bloody way, 1) because I'm horribly awfully allergic to them (and cats and anything else with bloody fur) and 2) because it would be muggings here who would be cleaning up the shit and piss and taking it for walks all day whilst they were all at work/school. Doesn't stop them all harping on about it though.

If you don't want one you shouldn't get one.

Perhaps if you tell him why you don't like them it might help, rather than have the conversation above.

MollysChamber Tue 05-Jul-11 22:10:19

Everyone in my house wants a dog. I don't.

The walking, the hair, the picking up poop, the scratched floors, the expense, the reponsibility and commitment, the mud, the licking, the barking. Not to mention the ageing cat.

And guess who would end up dealing with the above? Muggins. no fecking way.

Stick to your guns. Not wanting one is just about the most valid reason of all.

AgentZigzag Tue 05-Jul-11 22:11:15

You're a miserable but very sensible lot grin

Dogs are hard work and it's easy to underestimate that when you're looking through the rose tinted glasses of walks on a summers eve and them lying in front of the fire in the winter.

Best be 100% sure you can fit them in.

nocake Tue 05-Jul-11 22:14:28

I've had a dog and I can't think of a single reason why I'd have another.

DogsBestFriend Tue 05-Jul-11 22:15:41

Absolutely not BU.

The first thing a rescue should ask a potential adopter is whether ALL the family are in agreement with wanting a dog. If the answer is no then the family will be turned down if the rescue is worth its salt.

Experience has taught them that one sure way of getting a dog bounce back to them unwanted in a few weeks time is to allow a family to adopt when someone within it doesn't want the dog. It's not fair on the dog and it's not fair on that individual.

DogsBestFriend Tue 05-Jul-11 22:16:51

BTW, I do think you're being very unreasonable NOT to want a dog though! grin

<<looks lovingly at her own three, who are sprawled on sofas snoring>>

elastamum Tue 05-Jul-11 22:20:33

Another mad person with 3 dogs!! Mind you my plumber has 6 labs - now that really is mad confused

kalo12 Tue 05-Jul-11 22:20:50

a dog has a bigger carbon footprint than a mitsubishi shogun.

make him something he really doesn't like for dinner....
why don't you eat it?
i don't like it
thats not a real reason.......
ha!

LolaRennt Tue 05-Jul-11 22:31:20

yanbu, esp if you are gpoing to do all the work

MarioandLuigi Tue 05-Jul-11 22:33:35

The trouble is I cant really say why I dont like dogs, I just know that I dont f that makes sense.

AgentZigzag Tue 05-Jul-11 22:38:49

Hairy, farting, crapping, sometimes noisy members of the family with big snotty hooters?

What's not to like Mario? grin

But they're always pleased to see you and never backchat, plus you can pretend you're talking to them when you talk to yourself.

trixymalixy Tue 05-Jul-11 22:40:58

YANBU

DogsBestFriend Tue 05-Jul-11 22:57:09

elastamum, do you happen to havee your plumbers number to hand? I've deliberately smashed got a broken pipe which needs urgent attention. grin

<,whistles innocently>>

<<makes room for another 6 dogs>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now