Talk

Advanced search

Judgey McJudge of the Clan McJudge attends a school meeting:

(14 Posts)
ZXEightyMum Tue 05-Jul-11 21:53:32

About an upcoming residential trip for year six.

Parents had already been given three letters about what the children could bring / not bring and a previous meeting held but I attended this one as well because it was apparently "essential"

No new information was given, no admin, nothing to sign (if I had had to take time off work for this I would have been really annoyed) and yet another photocopy from the website of the activity centre was given out and read by a real adult, just in case of confusion.

The question and answer session was interesting.

An enormous woman with neck tattoos insisted that her child would not cope with <gasp> only a hearty breakfast, lunch and dinner and requested that the teachers administer at least three packets of crisps per day for him lest he fade away during the three-day trip.

Two people complaining that they would have to shock buy nightwear for their eleven year old DC because, "they don't wear none and I can't afford it" and could there be a school grant for this expense. Luckily, or unluckily, shorts and t-shirts acceptable.

When the lovely lady from the office attempted to open the door carrying jugs of water / cups on a tray for us, I had to fight my way down the rows of chairs to help her with the door while men and women six deep were just staring gormlessly while she struggled.

AIBU to really look forward to DD going to Secondary so that I don't have to be patronised by meetings like this or sit with scary and rude people?

worraliberty Tue 05-Jul-11 21:57:25

My year 7 DS's residential trip meeting was even funnier than that so I wouldn't hold out hope.

A woman claimed her daughter would eat none of huge menu choices on offer and actually asked the teacher if her DD would have access to boiled water so she could take Pot Noodles.

I was more surprised that the teacher didn't bat an eyelid and said 'Yes, just tell her to come and find me' grin

nenevomito Tue 05-Jul-11 22:02:47

PMSL @ potnoodles!

Dexifehatz Tue 05-Jul-11 22:05:52

ZX-Let's hope they don't follow you to Secondary school!

ZXEightyMum Tue 05-Jul-11 22:07:47

LOL at Pot Noodles.

I took DD to a hospital appointment the other day and she made friends with another child. When that child said that she was going to have a lovely and expensive treat for dinner that night DD was very jealous until her Mum screamed, "Chevarnie, come 'ere nahhhhh ya li'le bitch or no Pot Noodle"

sad

catgirl1976 Tue 05-Jul-11 22:09:27

wow.........sad what if its as bad at secondary school? horrible!

EightiesChick Tue 05-Jul-11 22:11:14

No nightwear? shock

I'm not sure why it will necessarily be different at secondary, I'm afraid...

ZXEightyMum Tue 05-Jul-11 22:14:30

I optimistically hoped that Secondary school parenting would be rather like being a pre-war homosexual:

Never complain; never explain.

and sort out your leaky drink yourself

WhatsWrongWithYou Tue 05-Jul-11 22:17:41

On a tangent, I tried to buy jarmas for my then 8yo DS. The assistant in M&s (of all places) said 'they don't normally wear them at that age, do they? Mine just wear t-shirt and boxers.' Felt like a freak for trying to Do Things Properly.

beachholiday Tue 05-Jul-11 22:19:43

If that leaky drink comment is you having a go at the OP on the other thread, whose child has SN, its pretty poor form.

(Apologies if that's not what you're doing though)

worraliberty Tue 05-Jul-11 22:20:27

I must admit the difference in the 'talk' they gave the parents was huge and really quite funny.

The teacher had a great sense of humour and after being asked for the 5th time (by parents who weren't listening) if the kids would be doing water activities, he said....

"No, let me reassure you none of your children will be going near any water...well not unless they annoy the staff on the ferry!"

grin

ZXEightyMum Tue 05-Jul-11 22:23:29

No, tangents welcome smile

I adore 'jamas but my DS (4) is autistic and is currently wearing very shrunken sleep suits with press-studs because he is in no way dry or clean at night and it's all we can do to protect sheets.

He wears two-pieces in the late afternoons and early evenings and looks very cute.

I had no idea that no pyjamas exist for boys aged eight and over shock

PiousPrat Tue 05-Jul-11 22:27:04

IME secondary residential meetings are different, but only because no bugger turns up for them. DS1 is only in year 7 so this is my first experience of a secondary res. trip, so I dutifully turned up to every meeting to be given the same handouts that were dished out when the trip was first touted. It was fabulous, out of 80 kids going only 15 parents turned up and a good few of those were couples so I would guess that only around 7 or 8 kids were represented. I suddenly became a good, involved and engaged parent by dint of remembering to look at my calendar before the event for once.

I am never the good, organised parent as I am by nature scatty as hell so I will forever savour the memory of sharing a look with a teacher as one of the few parents who turned up asked if it was necessary to offer them fruit every day, as little jimmy is only allowed it once a week or else he gets confused by the choice.

superjobeespecs Tue 05-Jul-11 22:36:08

bloody hell parents are mad!! dont think my mum went to any meeting for my primary 7 residential the lucky mare and my DDs too young for hers just wanted to say i loved my resi we had great cooked breakfasts they french breakfast things that i refuse to try and spell but they are tasty bread and the ones with chocolate grin made our lunches at breakfast time then had a massive tea every night for 4 days and i was sad to go home smile and i hope all your wee ones have as good a time as i did smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now