Talk

Advanced search

to expect some acknowledgment of receipt of a present - even if just a quick text?

(8 Posts)
jigglebum Tue 05-Jul-11 20:00:24

I am a saddened and a bit annoyed at how few of my friends seem to think it is important to acknowledge the receipt of a posted present. Ideally a thank you would be great but at the moment I don't even know if they have received them. Personally I am quite keen on thank you notes for presents, but would be happy with a quick text/email just to say - "got the .... - thanks" type thing.

Over the last 2 months or so I have sent out 3 presents for friends' children - nothing particularly expensive but not one has even let me know that they have received the parcel. I always get proof of posting but bit pointless when you don't know if they got it or not. I find this happens quite a lot these days (not with all my friends I should add) and find it a bit embarrassing when you end up asking - did you get..... by the way? I know everyone is busy but surely it doesn't take two seconds to send a quick text even?

Sirzy Tue 05-Jul-11 20:02:08

YANBU.

I would text them to check they have received it and it hasn't been lost in the post. May be enough to make them realise how rude they have been.

catgirl1976 Tue 05-Jul-11 20:03:14

YANBU - they are being rude

CrapBag Tue 05-Jul-11 20:03:38

YANBU. I get particularly irked at this, and it isn't just friends, family can be just as bad.

Just a text or facebook message would suffice, I don't expect a hand written bloody card but some gratitude would be appreciated.

hugeleyoutnumbered Tue 05-Jul-11 20:04:09

we do thankyou notes the boys write their own name on them, its something I always did as a child so have continued it YADNBU

thisisyesterday Tue 05-Jul-11 20:08:40

yanbu

it's very rude

jigglebum Tue 05-Jul-11 20:09:17

you are making me feel more reasonable already - thought it was pregnancy hormones making me grumpy! I always do thank you notes too - DS is a bit young to do anything on them yet, except the occasionaly scribble but will be ensuring he does them when he gets older - I think it is rude not too and is good for teaching children to be grateful for things but thought perhaps I was being old fashioned about this. Glad to hear that perhaps I am not.

My DN always writes thank you notes within days of receiving birthday/christmas presents - nothing fancy but she would not dream of not doing so; she is only 11.

biddysmama Wed 06-Jul-11 08:07:00

yanbu, i sent my cousin 3 bin bags full of dds old clothes for her dd (that she had actually asked me to give to her as she didnt have money for new ones for her, i didnt offer them iyswim) and nothing.. no call, no text, not even a facebook message!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now