Talk

Advanced search

To think our "neutered" rescue cats are NOT neutered?

(36 Posts)
HelloKlitty Tue 05-Jul-11 18:53:44

IS it possible? We got 2 six year old rescue cats...both Siamese males...I was told they were neutered but they both have visible testicles (big ones) If I am ignorant please excuse me but I always thought the testicles were not really visible when a cat has been neutered?

I had not really looked "there" iyswim...but their behaviour is very like that of male cats who are not "done"....they spray the house....and one mounts the other sometimes....is it possible the rescue made a mistake?
What does a neutered cat LOOK like down there? confused

HelloKlitty Tue 05-Jul-11 18:54:41

God. Just noticed my user name is cat related and sex related! I am NOT a cat perve! I am usually MumblingRagDoll....namechanged out of boredom the other day!

TakeMeDrunkImHome Tue 05-Jul-11 18:54:58

They don't have balls! If your cats have balls they aren't neutered!

HelloKlitty Tue 05-Jul-11 18:55:19

Kids are out of bath so going for a while...will return!

DilysPrice Tue 05-Jul-11 18:55:35

Certainly when our male cat was "done" they took the testicles right off. Ring the rescue centre ASAP for clarification and get it sorted out.

SoupDragon Tue 05-Jul-11 18:57:19

If they are recently neutered they can look like they still have testicles but i think it is only very recently neutered. I remember my vet telling me that it may look as if the cat was still intact but he wasn't and what was there would shrink.

7Seas Tue 05-Jul-11 18:57:30

my boys have been done and they still have a little bump where said bolleaux should be.

My old fella had that too. Maybe it is just a bit of saggy whatever?

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 05-Jul-11 19:23:24

ours is neutered and people think hes not, if they were toms for a while they will mount as its habit more than need!

The new way of doing it is stitch free from what I was told at the vets so the sack (cat scrotum?) is left on.

Take them to the vets nurse clinic and ask the question. My vet does a nurse clinic, cheaper for minor ailments and routine checks eg fleas.

Neutered toms can still spray btw.

Most rescues neuter and microchip routinely as they get a discount at the vets, are they chipped? its usually all done at once because their under anaesthetic.

HelloKlitty Tue 05-Jul-11 19:28:50

The scrotum looks "full" iykwim? They're not recently done either...apparently their wner had them done some time ago!

They were chipped already when the rescue got them.

RollingInTheAisles Tue 05-Jul-11 19:32:21

If they're not fixed then their pee will smell very strong and distinctive, far more than just an ordinary pee smell. It's the hormones in it, it is unmistakeable once you've experienced it!

HelloKlitty Tue 05-Jul-11 19:34:28

Well it does smell pretty unmistakable! hmm But surely a rescue place would have noticed they werent done? It's a tiny one mind you...

LolaRennt Tue 05-Jul-11 19:42:28

My cat was definitly done (I paid for it) and to the casual observor he looked like the boys were still in residence. Actually we used to say he was such a hard bastard that they grew back grin have a word with your vet if you aren't sure but they really are probably done

HelloKlitty Tue 05-Jul-11 19:42:55

I must admit that I am a tad annoyed. I was asked for a donation of £120 pounds for the cats ...told they were wormed, fleaed and spayed...and I gave a bit more of a donation besides the 120...now I may have to shell out again and besides the point it's not very well managed...I've been letting them out and they've probably got half the neighborhood up the stick by now! Not to mention ruined some cushions!

I love them and all that....but I think if they're not done then the manager of the charity needs talking to.

HelloKlitty Tue 05-Jul-11 19:44:17

Right...thanks Lola...they don't "act" done though...and we've had a LOT of male cats vsiting us lately...in fact one big fella just tried to get in the window!

catgirl1976 Tue 05-Jul-11 19:44:56

Mine are done and you cannot see testicles. One of them does still spray though (so I have to spend a fecking fortune on feliway spray and diffusers to stop the little fecker). No balls though. Sounds like they are not neutered

HelloKlitty Tue 05-Jul-11 19:47:19

Bugger. Really? angry I will have to cart them to the vet then.

tabulahrasa Tue 05-Jul-11 19:48:03

I think it'd be hard to tell with Siamese, because they've got a different build and thinner fur than other cats - it might be that it's just the empty sack, but it's more noticeable...

take them to the vets and ask, if the y laugh at you - find new vets, lol

catgirl1976 Tue 05-Jul-11 19:53:30

Get them checked and if not then yes I think the rescue centre manager does need talking to!

ratspeaker Tue 05-Jul-11 19:53:58

Did the rescue centre not give you a list or a booklet with the vet they'd used and dates of neutering, vaccinations etc?

Our cat has been neutered but has little bumps where his equipment should be.

Do your cats "spray" and is it really smelly?
Some neutered cats will still spray but its an ordinary pee smell not the distinctive catty odour of fully intact tom

CMOTdibbler Tue 05-Jul-11 19:54:47

My boy cat looks like he hasn't been done - so much so that when he went to the cat rescue centre, the vet put him under to castrate him only to find he had already been done. Hes very boyish.
But, otoh, my old boy sprayed, and he had been castrated on the dot of 6 months

catgirl1976 Tue 05-Jul-11 19:57:13

When mine sprays it stinks sad current expenditure on feliway = nearly £100 per month. If anyone has any other suggestions to stop a sprayer I would be more than grateful!

sophe29 Tue 05-Jul-11 19:59:40

I think it can depend on when they were neutered. If it was done when they were very little then they shouldnt really spray, be agressive, roam etc (this is the theory but Ive had cats that still did this). However if they have already developed into fully fledged male toms then they will retain their physique and behaviour even if they are sans testicles. Either way - get them checked.

HelloKlitty Tue 05-Jul-11 20:06:42

As I understand it they were neutered young...well cared for nd I have their pedigree papers but no vet booklet thing.

They are very muscular and with short hair so i COULD be just sack...I have messaged the charity to ask. Thanks people!

HelloKlitty Tue 05-Jul-11 20:06:42

As I understand it they were neutered young...well cared for nd I have their pedigree papers but no vet booklet thing.

They are very muscular and with short hair so i COULD be just sack...I have messaged the charity to ask. Thanks people!

IfAtFirstUDontSucceed Tue 05-Jul-11 20:07:08

My two boys have been neutered, but I've seen them spray in the garden (as did one of my Mum's female cats). One also has a tendency to mount his brother! Their bits arent particulaly visable however!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now