Talk

Advanced search

what happens if children pull hair/ bite at nursery??

(12 Posts)
working2gally Tue 05-Jul-11 18:35:46

my 7mth dc is about to start nursery day care. he pulls hair and bites sometimes - usually adults when they are carrying him etc. but a couple of times other (much older) children when they get very close (he is still not crawling). I've teneded to intercept him when it seems it might happen - removing his hands from hair/ moving him away etc. told him "no" etc.

But what happens if he does this to another child at nursery? I will warn staff obviously. He's too young to really understand it's not nice.

not sure what will happen to him if he does it?? worried about this as don't want him punished / labelled as naughty etc when he doesn't understand what he's doing but obviously see why other parents wouldn't be happy with it!

breatheslowly Tue 05-Jul-11 18:40:31

Why don't you ask them?

whatsallthehullaballoo Tue 05-Jul-11 19:36:11

OMG - nothing will happen to a 7 month old baby!! He is just exploring. A 7month old child is not naughty at all. Different when it is a 2.5 - 3year old when they are able to understand right from wrong. Don't let this worry you in the slightest - your baby is acting normally.

OddBoots Tue 05-Jul-11 19:40:13

He's a baby, they will expect that kind of thing and minimise his chances to do it and give him a firm 'no' if he tries. He'll grow out of it.

whackamole Tue 05-Jul-11 19:43:07

They will tell you, and if needs be the other parent will be informed (I'd imagine not if it was not hard/visible/didn't bother the other child although I am guessing).

Unfortunately I have 2 biters, both at nursery 3 days a week so I know all about it! They have never been stigmatised by the staff there.

Honestly don't stress they see it all the time.

My son went through a biting stage during a run of teething. He gave some warning because he would say "bite" first and then sink his teeth in. He was about 10 months old at the time.

It's far too young to know that it's wrong and I doubt the will do anything about it at such a young age other than try to be careful and keep other children away if they think he's about to bite one of them.

microserf Tue 05-Jul-11 19:58:35

they all go through these stages (i was all outraged when my toddler got bitten, but karma bit me in the arse when SHE became the biter...)

nothing is going to happen to a 7 month old, they aren't responsible. the nursery do usually inform you at the end of the day if an incident has happened, but at this age, they aren't going to expect you to do anything about it. i was told at my daughter's nursery it only becomes an issue once they're over 24 months, and even then, something to be managed with parents.

BertieBotts Tue 05-Jul-11 20:01:23

I know a couple of friends from NCT group had this. Nurseries will very in their discipline policy, but I don't think I've ever heard of one which uses any kind of punishment in the baby room. Earliest was around 15 months or so where they used a form of time out with a playpen, and this was a creche rather than a nursery, so I don't know if they have fewer set procedures to follow.

sophe29 Tue 05-Jul-11 20:03:15

Nursery will be very experienced with this sort of behaviour and if they are any way half decent will be able to advise you on ways to combat it. All kids go through this stage. Especially when teething. Oh and around the terrible twos. No one will blink an eye at a 7 month old doing it.

pozzled Tue 05-Jul-11 20:04:52

My DD has been bitten a couple of times by other children at nursery, and it's really not a big deal. They deal with it in an age-appropriate manner, at 7 months he obviously doesn't understand so they won't do much more than remove the other child, say 'no' and inform the other parents if there's a mark or if it's particularly hard.

pozzled Tue 05-Jul-11 20:07:04

Oh and it might reassure you to know that the staff don't say which child it was- we were just told 'DD was bitten by one of her friends'. So no chance of the child getting a reputation, at least with the parents.

working2gally Tue 05-Jul-11 20:52:15

thanks very much for the reassuring replies! was a bit concerned as his hair pulling / biting can actually quite hurt! but like you say he doesn't know it's wrong (I actually think he might think when he bites people he's actually kissing them - like he sees people kissing him and other children on the cheek - and doesn't realise teeth aren't meant to get involved).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now